• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Orb Over Silbury Hill

Indieanorak

Fresh Blood
I took this photograph on my phone last week as I was parked opposite Silbury Hill, Avebury. I didn't notice this light anomaly at the time but it appears on all five shots that I took over a period of about two or three minutes. The shot was taken through an open parked car window so can't be a reflection off the glass. The phone is a Huawei so has a Leica lens.
It's probably some kind of reflection from the sunset, but i find it a little strange that it's in all the shots
Silbury(002).jpg
Silbury (001).jpg

I took this photograph on my phone last week as I was parked opposite Silbury Hill, Avebury. I didn't notice this light anomaly at the time but it appears on all five shots that I took over a period of about two or three minutes. The shot was taken through an open parked car window so can't be a reflection off the glass. The phone is a Huawei so has a Leica lens.
It's probably some kind of reflection from the sunset, but i find it a little strange that it's in all the shots
View attachment 39186View attachment 39187
Is the orb in the same place in each shot?
If so id say it was a speck of dust on the lens or something similar, if not...

Is the orb in the same place in each shot?
If so id say it was a speck of dust on the lens or something similar, if not...
Actually no, in some it's to the left of the clump of trees in the background and in others it's on the right of the trees. Another odd thing is that I posted one of the pics on Instagram just after I'd taken it and the orb isn't visible in that picture - you can check it @indieanorak1 on Instagram

I don’t know anything about cameras, but I live about 8 miles from Avebury and that and Bryn Celli Ddu on Anglesey have something powerful going on. About the only thing I ever sense is ‘place’. I could have ghosts twerking around me in droves and see/feel nothing, but those two places are electric to me.

Actually no, in some it's to the left of the clump of trees in the background and in others it's on the right of the trees. Another odd thing is that I posted one of the pics on Instagram just after I'd taken it and the orb isn't visible in that picture - you can check it @indieanorak1 on Instagram
Is the Instagram pic (without the visible orb) one of the ones you posted here?

If not - please post your original copy of that pic here (for comparison).

Last edited:
Looks like a lens flare to me. If the source of light appears at the top left, the lens flare will run diagonally down to bottom right. Light at the bottom left, artefact at the top right. The ‘orb’ is appearing exactly where I’d expect it to be.

Is the Instagram pic (without the visible orb) one of the ones you posted here?

If not - please post your original copy of that pic here (for comparison).
It is one of the five shots I took (all showing the orb) but there is no orb showing on the Instragram post. I posted it from Silbury Hill immediately after taking the photo, with no cropping, editing, filters etc. (below)
Instagram photos and videos.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I took this photograph on my phone last week as I was parked opposite Silbury Hill, Avebury.

Really nice photo of one of my favourite places in the country, thank you for sharing!

It's not for me to offer an answer...but I'm going to suggest that as you didn't see it at the time, only on the picutres that yes, it was some kind of technological blip, light reflection/refraction malarkey.

Great stuff though.

Really nice photo of one of my favourite places in the country, thank you for sharing!

It's not for me to offer an answer...but I'm going to suggest that as you didn't see it at the time, only on the picutres that yes, it was some kind of technological blip, light reflection/refraction malarkey.

Great stuff though.
It's one of mine too - I was lucky that the sun was just dipping behind the hill as I was driving past so I pulled into the lay-by opposite and got this shot

It's one of mine too

I hope you've been to the West Kennet Barrow on the other side of the road to the hill.

I've visited a lot of neolithic sacred sites, both in the UK and other parts of the world.

West Kennet has been the one place I have genuinely felt "the other" to an almost uncomfortabl level. Deep, deep place.

1620814026962.png

I hope you've been to the West Kennet Barrow on the other side of the road to the hill.

I've visited a lot of neolithic sacred sites, both in the UK and other parts of the world.

West Kennet has been the one place I have genuinely felt "the other" to an almost uncomfortabl level. Deep, deep place.

View attachment 39203
Yes I love West Kennet. Stoney Littleton near Bath is another long barrow I love - there is rarely anyone there so it is very atmospheric. And Stanton Drew stone circle is also one of my favourites in the South West as it is often deserted

West Kennet is an incredibly liminal place.

It really is.

I'm as receptive to this stuff as a housebrick. Visited loads of sites and enjoy them very much but at Kennet there was something there. It was an August evening- was still sticky, hot, hazy, dreamlike. I felt odd trekking up to the barrow, was sweating because of the heat but it felt eerie. Sun going down. Still light enough to explore the barrow but it was darkening. The world around me and the barrow seemed to disappear, slowly to shut down in the distance. Time became...not there anymore. Just the barrow and me. And how it made me feel. Strangely content but strangely uneasy...scared even maybe by something ancient and powerful. That was not malevolent but could not help but make a person fearful by it's deep, deep age. I felt I was being shown something about the beginnings of everything. Impossible for me to understand but possible to be felt, if I could only bear the horror of the revelation.

Amazing place and experience.

1620818187740.jpeg

Last edited:
That was not malevolent but could not help but make a person fearful by it's deep, deep age. I felt I was being shown something about the beginnings of everything. Impossible for me to understand but possible to be felt, if I could only bear the horror of the revelation.

Amazing place and experience.
Wow. Incredible. That time of day too, is a liminal time. I think some places are so old and so ‘deep’, not good or evil, just incredibly powerful. That photo is amazing, too. Thank you for sharing both!

(Avebury itself, I find a kindly place; I like to go there to wander around and recharge. I just love how people will sit under the stones and sing or chant or meditate and no-one bats an eyelid)

West Kennet is...different. Such places seem to feel as if they’re nailed through so many ages and even dimensions perhaps.

I think some places are so old and so ‘deep’, not good or evil, just incredibly powerful.

I agree. They're not good or bad. They are old and beyond our comprehension.

That photo is amazing, too.

Photo isn't mine mate. I did have some photos of the experience but...well...they are lost in the mists of time sadly. Buried deep in an old, dead phone I assume. Despite it probably being only about 6 years ago it might has well been a lifetime ago the way my life has been since then.

Such places seem to feel as if they’re nailed through so many ages and even dimensions perhaps.

Yes. Looking back - I felt I was mainlining into the abyss of time.

I get that feeling with Kits Coty House, in Kent.
When things are more normal, my partner and I want to just do some trips to these places I’ve never been, sort of ambling journeys. There are a lot that are far less well-known than Stonehenge, (Last time I went there you could walk around it!) but that’s a bonus.

The country is covered with them!

It is. But, importantly there are variations in what material were used. Here in Norfolk, such henges and sites were built from wood. Of course, that wood has rotted and no longer stands like the stone henges of the West Country. We have what has been described as the most important henge outside of the West Country. But, it was constructed with wood and so all that remains are the earthworks- and these only really visible to someone who knows they're there. Despite that, it's a very special place to me.

1620821769985.jpeg

From the air when it was discovered -

1620821810950.jpeg

Aubrey Burl produced some good handbooks years ago. I'm still ticking off places in them.

I knew Aubrey Burl through my own archaeology - a really nice man, great company and as knowledgeable as you'd expect from the books! A great favourite chez Frideswide. I don't have my own copies, they are on Mr Frideswide's shelves.

Julian Cope's Modern Antiquarian is a great guide to UK neolithic site if you can get hold of a copy.

yes! My copy is about 40 cm above my monitor and the spine has faded in the sun but the contents are as enjoyable as ever.

:twothumbs:

I knew Aubrey Burl through my own archaeology - a really nice man, great company and as knowledgeable as you'd expect from the books! A great favourite chez Frideswide. I don't have my own copies, they are on Mr Frideswide's shelves.

yes! My copy is about 40 cm above my monitor and the spine has faded in the sun but the contents are as enjoyable as ever.

:twothumbs:
I worked on a few Stonehenge books with Julian Richards some years ago. Another lovely man. Not really a Fortean but very knowledgeable and open minded

I once knew someone who related a tale of sitting on Silbury Hill with a friend. I can't remember what time of day he said it was but he says he saw orbs of light moving around just above the surface of the crop in an adjoining field.

I didn't get much else out of him about the experience as he said he didn't like talking about it.

I once knew someone who related a tale of sitting on Silbury Hill with a friend. I can't remember what time of day he said it was but he says he saw orbs of light moving around just above the surface of the crop in an adjoining field.

I’ve read about orbs being seen there as well, or UFO’s/orbs.

There’s a video from 2018 here with two orbs on it over Clay Hill in Wiltshir. Not Avebury, but near Warminster.

Orbs or UFO’s over Clay Hill

E.T.A.

Also this Silbury Hill case which I’d never heard of.

Orange Fireballs and Humanoids Silbury Hill

I’ve read about orbs being seen there as well, or UFO’s/orbs.

There’s a video from 2018 here with two orbs on it over Clay Hill in Wiltshir. Not Avebury, but near Warminster.

Orbs or UFO’s over Clay Hill

E.T.A.

Also this Silbury Hill case which I’d never heard of.

Orange Fireballs and Humanoids Silbury Hill
At first I thought the Clay Hill lights looked like hang gliders, but by the end I wasn't so sure... then again I'm trying to pear at the video on my mobile screen.

Back