• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Orb Over Silbury Hill

Also, Julian Cope of the Modern Antiquarian (mentioned upthread) talks about orbs at Avebury that appeared on photos he took although indoors, I am assuming.

Orbs at Avebury

There is also this very grainy film of supposed UFORBS (That’s it now for me) creating a crop circle. Not sure if this is Wiltshire but the film’s been around years. To me the quality’s so poor that I don’t know what to think.

Supposed orbs supposedly creating a crop circle
Oliver's Castle = A confirmed hoax. I'm afraid.

There are many others that aren't though. I still have no explanation for the ones shared in 2002's Quest For Truth. This copy is too cloudy, but I have it on DVD. The videos are astonishing. Steve Alexander's is cool, but he's a shonk, like so many in 'the fraternity'.

Anyway watch from about 1:13:00 for orbs captured on film. They are certainly a thing external to the camera.

There’s a video from 2018 here with two orbs on it over Clay Hill in Wiltshir. Not Avebury, but near Warminster.
I have to say that's not Cley Hill, it's not the right shape and Cley Hill's not covered with trees. I concede it might still be a hill near Warminster but it could be anywhere couldn't it (I can't see how it could be 'five ash lane' which is mentioned, either). It's quite a weird video (especially when the lights seem to split up). But I'd be very suspicious of any light noodling around at Warminster, what with the military helicopters up there all the time :)

Clay Hill in Wiltshir. Not Avebury, but near Warminster.

Well the whole area is a hotspot.

I remember, just about...I was a nipper...maybe 12/13? I attended an event with my older brother in Warminster...some sort of conference...it may well have even be an early Fortean Times event?

Anyway - we went for a "UFO Hunt" with some guy on Cley Hill in the night. I think he was an FT contributor. It was fairly uneventful. Except for, at some point, the whole area was lit up with a greenish, strobe-light/lightning effect. It was very powerful, lit up the whole area and beyond. Hung there for longer than a strobe light, maybe a couple of seconds, then darkness returned. Very odd.

I was very young. Interestingly my brother remembers it, but remebers the "flash" being blue.

Did the guide you were with give any explanation/interpretation for the phenomenon?

I was young...my life has been chaotic since then and memory is sketchy.

What I do remember, it was slightly odd - he took us up there (for a small fee) to "guide" us to see UFOs. After that happened he was like, "there you go, told you". And that's all I remember really. Were we conned? Maybe, no idea. But - I have no idea how someone could produce that effect. I have no idea what natural or man-made affair could produce it either.

It's no big deal to me. It was a bit of fun and I enjoyed it :) Do I think it was aliens from another planet? Nope.

Last edited:
It is one of the five shots I took (all showing the orb) but there is no orb showing on the Instragram post. I posted it from Silbury Hill immediately after taking the photo, with no cropping, editing, filters etc. (below)View attachment 39201
Going by what is visible from the 'orb' shots in the pictures you've shown, I can see (after full enlargement) that it isn't a round object.
This makes me think that it might be... especially as there are some darker clouds directly above, as simple as a water droplet on the lens, and it seems as if the globule is reflecting the blue of the sky, with an all round ring of sunlight at it's edges, so I'm guessing that it's probably a tiny droplet, and also as you can see in this blow-up that it is oval, not orbital which points more toward it being a droplet... possibly? And in the shot where it isn't visible, could that be due to the fact that the water droplet might have dropped upon the lens after that first shot that you posted?

Screenshot 2021-05-21 110008.jpg

Last edited:
At first I thought the Clay Hill lights looked like hang gliders, but by the end I wasn't so sure... then again I'm trying to pear at the video on my mobile screen.
Seemed a bit Helicopter like are my first thoughts. Didn't seem to come across as possible ufo's as one was following the other, so maybe it was Helicopters releasing and dragging something behind them (just trying to suggest a rational theory which might help to give some sort of possible explanation for those extra lights), then winching them back onboard maybe when the lights become two again?

I took this photograph on my phone last week as I was parked opposite Silbury Hill, Avebury. I didn't notice this light anomaly at the time but it appears on all five shots that I took over a period of about two or three minutes. The shot was taken through an open parked car window so can't be a reflection off the glass. The phone is a Huawei so has a Leica lens.
It's probably some kind of reflection from the sunset, but i find it a little strange that it's in all the shots
View attachment 39186View attachment 39187
Might prove to be interesting to know exactly what the date was that you took these photographs?
Just might tie-up with a new crop circle, or other event in the area that the lights were seen to be hovering over?

Looks like a lens flare to me. If the source of light appears at the top left, the lens flare will run diagonally down to bottom right. Light at the bottom left, artefact at the top right. The ‘orb’ is appearing exactly where I’d expect it to be.
Interestingly, there just happens to have been the first crop-circle which appeared in a field at stanton, st bernard wilts, not that far from the same area! Just a coincidence?
https://nexusnewsfeed.com/article/u...anton-st-bernard-wiltshire-reported-11th-may/

I have to say that's not Cley Hill, it's not the right shape and Cley Hill's not covered with trees. I concede it might still be a hill near Warminster but it could be anywhere couldn't it (I can't see how it could be 'five ash lane' which is mentioned, either). It's quite a weird video (especially when the lights seem to split up). But I'd be very suspicious of any light noodling around at Warminster, what with the military helicopters up there all the time :)
I agree that this does not look like Cley Hill., or from what I can recall 5 Ash lane area. Cley hill is quite distinctive and when we lived there was rumoured to be thea favourite meeting place for the local coven. The Nearby Longleat estate is apparently good for late night sky watching and the a big Centre Parcs nearby used to offer off site walks around UFO hotspots with a local expert.

Well the whole area is a hotspot.

I remember, just about...I was a nipper...maybe 12/13? I attended an event with my older brother in Warminster...some sort of conference...it may well have even be an early Fortean Times event?

Anyway - we went for a "UFO Hunt" with some guy on Cley Hill in the night. I think he was an FT contributor. It was fairly uneventful. Except for, at some point, the whole area was lit up with a greenish, strobe-light/lightning effect. It was very powerful, lit up the whole area and beyond. Hung there for longer than a strobe light, maybe a couple of seconds, then darkness returned. Very odd.

I was very young. Interestingly my brother remembers it, but remebers the "flash" being blue.

Hi, the South West of England of England is occasionally treated to aurora borealis (Northern lights). For example:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/...azing-northern-lights-pictures-britain/devon/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-33235192

"Brian Sheen, from the Roseland Observatory in Cornwall, said the Northern Lights could be seen around once a year in Cornwall but were rarely noticed or captured.
"We don't get it so brilliantly down here as they do in the north. I've only see it three or four times in my life", he said.
Mr Sheen said the display was caused by a burst of gases kicked out from sun spots that interact with the Earth's magnetic field and hit the atmosphere creating "these lovely colours".
Dr Chris Arridge, of Lancaster University Physics Department, said: "If there is greater solar activity, they can, on rare occasions, be seen further south, if the conditions are favourable."
The Met Office, based in Exeter, said on its blog that the country could have another night of "spectacular aurora views" on Wednesday.
"To see the northern lights, wait until at least half an hour after sunset, go outside away from artificial lights, let your eyes accustom to the dark and look towards the north," the Met Office said."

In 1979 my brother was in back garden in North Devon when he witnessed the night sky turn green in the early evening of a winter night, which properly peed me off as I had just gone in to get a warm coat...! He said there was a wavy effect and it later made the local papers that many others had witnessed it locally.

I’ve read about orbs being seen there as well, or UFO’s/orbs.

There’s a video from 2018 here with two orbs on it over Clay Hill in Wiltshir. Not Avebury, but near Warminster.

Orbs or UFO’s over Clay Hill

E.T.A.

Also this Silbury Hill case which I’d never heard of.

Orange Fireballs and Humanoids Silbury Hill
Thanks for posting the interesting UFO humanoid report.

I think I would like to know more about the witnesses themselves, specifically if they are especially are UFO 'believers,and, and if they had been drinking or taken any drugs. To be honest the 'craft' match the description of Chinese lanterns to a tee. The humanoids underneath could easily be 'interpreted' from staring into the flame. Then confirmation bias sets in and the witnesses all agree with what they have supposedly witnessed. That might be unfair on them, but it reminds me of a famous Scottish case where a family in their car mistook night time pea harvesting for humanoids in spherical craft floating around, and did so primarily because of their strong belief in UFOs (they had reported previous UFO encounters and were coming back from a trip to the newsagent to buy a UFO magazine...!).

Personally, I know there is a big difference between UFO 'believers,' and people who have actually witnessed strange things on the spot as it were.

Personally, I know there is a big difference between UFO 'believers,' and people who have actually witnessed strange things on the spot as it were.
True. If they went out there with the intention of encountering something alien then this needs to be taken into consideration as confirmation bias and the power of suggestion can easily obscure an explainable event.

Back