• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Our Old IHTM Threads

Good thought - I agree the new ability to acess the net from anywhere anytime is probably a huge factor. But I dont think it has suppressed stories - it feels to me like it has resulted in much more exchanged information of much lower quality. First there's the texting culture mentioned before by someone, with people spending less time bothering to write clearly or putting much thought behind it. And spending less effort engaging in real dialogue or exchange of actual ideas. And the proliferation of cheap-thrill kinds of paranormal sites. A site like FT probably seems staid to these young net noodlers.

Why when I was their age....

liveinabin1 said:
Someone tells you a story of high strangeness and it can be quickly dismissed and cases found to back it up.

Or put another way someone can find on the internet an 'explanation' which makes less sense than the original incident, or fails to take into account all the reported facts. I think I'm going to call these 'shutup solutions'. As in 'shut up, I've got my fingers in my ears and I'm humming loudly...'

Some things, of course, have been found to have rational explanations or have been successfully eliminated by debunking, but actually there are wholly credible explanations for only a tiny number of Fortean phenomena. I refer to types of event, I'm not talking specific incidents. I don't believe all thse things are supernatural or extranatural, but I do believe that the investigation of rare and strange occurances could lead to scientifc breakthroughs, and indeed the possible discovery that some 'facts' and axioms of conventional science are themselves not as relaible as we like to think.

MercuryCrest said:
I remember when I first joined there was a thread titled "The Mystery of the Missing Cow-orker" (yes, spelled like that) which just fascinated me.

It's funny the things that stay with you, isn't it? One thread title I always remember is "brown paper ken barlow". Not that interesting a thread, as I recall, but my brain has for some reason decided to file that title as important information, never to be forgotten. :?

nogoodnik said:
MercuryCrest said:
I remember when I first joined there was a thread titled "The Mystery of the Missing Cow-orker" (yes, spelled like that) which just fascinated me.

It's funny the things that stay with you, isn't it? One thread title I always remember is "brown paper ken barlow". Not that interesting a thread, as I recall, but my brain has for some reason decided to file that title as important information, never to be forgotten. :?

What's ken barlow? or is it who?

Ken Barlow is a character in the British soap 'Coronation Street'. The actor who plays him successfully sued someone who called him 'boring' a few years ago.

I think that we lost a LOT of members when the boards were upgraded. A lot of glitches accessing accounts, and even in trying to re-register. Which was a great shame.

The bosrds themselves are arguably much better laid out now, but a lot of old threads have slid into oblivion.

Certainly not as many active posters across the day as there used to be, either. I only drop in a couple of times a week these days, so I guess I'm just as much to blame. :roll: :lol:

Back