• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Out Of Body Experiences (OBEs / OOBEs)

rynner said:
Yes, very interesting, but it would have been far more convincing if there wasn't a whole raft of books and music CDs being marketed on the strength of it....

rynner " I want to believe, but..."

Lol. :D I actually first found from a link on the front page of the FT site (Unexplained Mysteries), then a link from there. It then gave the whole story but the link provided to read it was dead!
I Googled 'Pam Reynolds nde' and there was loads of links, and sites, that one just happened to be at the top.

Documentary The Day I Died featuring the Pam Reynolds' case.

Sorry aka - if you're on dial up it might take a while to stream!

Fro, you're a wonder sometimes. 8)

Science on verge of admitting that "Out of Body Experiences" actually occur? Of course they've got a perfectly rational explanation for it all and they can even replicate the experience in the lab.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6960612.stm

Out-of-body experience recreated

BBC News Online. 23 August 2007

Experts have found a way to trigger an out-of-body experience in volunteers.

The experiments, described in the Science journal, offer a scientific explanation for a phenomenon experienced by one in 10 people.

Two teams used virtual reality goggles to con the brain into thinking the body was located elsewhere.

The visual illusion plus the feel of their real bodies being touched made volunteers sense that they had moved outside of their physical bodies.

The researchers say their findings could have practical applications, such as helping take video games to the next level of virtuality so the players feel as if they are actually inside the game.

Clinically, surgeons might also be able to perform operations on patients thousands of miles away by controlling a robotic virtual self.

Teleported

For some, out-of-body experiences or OBEs occurs spontaneously, while for others it is linked to dangerous circumstances, a near-death experience, a dream-like state or use of alcohol or drugs.

One theory is that it is down to how people perceive their own body - those unhappy or less in touch with their body are more likely to have an OBE.

But the two teams, from University College London, UK, and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, believe there is a neurological explanation.

Their work suggests a disconnection between the brain circuits that process visual and touch sensory information may thus be responsible for some OBEs.

In the Swiss experiments, the researchers asked volunteers to stand in front of a camera while wearing video-display goggles.

Through these goggles, the volunteers could see a camera view of their own back - a three-dimensional "virtual own body" that appeared to be standing in front of them.

When the researchers stroked the back of the volunteer with a pen, the volunteer could see their virtual back being stroked either simultaneously or with a time lag.

The volunteers reported that the sensation seemed to be caused by the pen on their virtual back, rather than their real back, making them feel as if the virtual body was their own rather than a hologram.

Volunteers

Even when the camera was switched to film the back of a mannequin being stroked rather than their own back, the volunteers still reported feeling as if the virtual mannequin body was their own.

And when the researchers switched off the goggles, guided the volunteers back a few paces, and then asked them to walk back to where they had been standing, the volunteers overshot the target, returning nearer to the position of their "virtual self".

Dr Henrik Ehrsson, who led the UCL research, used a similar set-up in his tests and found volunteers had a physiological response - increased skin sweating - when they felt their virtual self was being threatened - appearing to be hit with a hammer.

Dr Ehrsson said: "This experiment suggests that the first-person visual perspective is critically important for the in-body experience. In other words, we feel that our self is located where the eyes are."

Dr Susan Blackmore, psychologist and visiting lecturer at the University of the West of England, said: "This has at last brought OBEs into the lab and tested one of the main theories of how they occur.

"Scientists have long suspected that the clue to these extraordinary, and sometimes life-changing, experiences lies in disrupting our normal illusion of being a self behind our eyes, and replacing it with a new viewpoint from above or behind."

How it's done, diagram.
Even Dr Susan 'I used to be quite good at the tarot, until I stopped believing' Blackmore, believes it now. At least, until Professor Dawkins says different. :lol:

The comments about practical applications are v.interesting to say the least. Throwing one's voice is one thing, but projecting one's 'consciousness? Why does the closing scene of eXistenZ, spring to mind? :shock:

I used to be able to induce it as a kid by lying down and thinking that I was swinging along the length of my body (and trying to fool the body into it). After a while I'd get the feelings of dizziness and then after a sudden lurch of the stomach (same kind of thing you get in a car going downhill quite fast) I'd "pop free" and be looking down my body from a viewpoint of just above the forehead.

Of course it may all have been a childhood conceit but I do clearly remember seeing events in the house which I couldn't have seen.

This may be relevent:

Scientists fool people into thinking mannequin's body was their own
People can be tricked into thinking they inhabit a different body to their own, scientists have shown for the first time.

By Matthew Moore
Last Updated: 7:58AM GMT 03 Dec 2008

The "body swapping" illusion fooled volunteers into perceiving that the bodies of mannequins and other people were their own, using a combination of video goggles and tactile stimulation.

The experiment throws new light on how humans establish a sense of self – suggesting that sight is more important than internal signals from muscles – and could have ramifications for treatments of body image disorders such as anorexia.

Swedish scientists fitted the head of a shop dummy with cameras connected to small screens placed in goggles worn by the subject, so that they saw what the dummy "saw".

When a scientist touched the stomach of both with sticks, the subject could see that the mannequin's stomach was being touched while feeling but not seeing a similar sensation on his or her own stomach.

As a result, the subject developed a powerful sensation that the mannequin's body was his or her own, the scientists said.

"This shows how easy it is to change the brain's perception of the physical self," said Henrik Ehrsson of the Karolinska Institute medical university, who led the project.

"By manipulating sensory impressions, it's possible to fool the self not only out of its body but into other bodies too."

In another experiment, the camera was mounted on to another person's head. When this person and the subject turned towards each other to shake hands, the subject perceived the camera-wearer's body as his or her own.

The strength of the illusion was confirmed by the subjects' exhibiting stress reactions when a knife was held to the camera wearer's arm but not when it was held to their own.

The illusion also worked even when the two people differed in appearance or were of different sexes.

Dr Ehrsson said that the findings could be used to create new therapies for people with abnormal body image, as well as to confront bigotry by allowing people to identify with people of different races and sexes. It could also be used to improve robotics technology and even virtual reality video games.

The study was published in the online, open-access journal PLoS ONE.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandte ... r-own.html

Re: My Out of body experience/s

Poppa19 said:
My first experience of this phenomena occured Xmas eve 1977.
I had been out for a drink with my wormates from the mine i worked at, i had a great night but was not drunk. It started to rain so i phoned a cab which came, and i got in the front passenger seat, and tried to clip the seat belt (It would not lock).. We had travelled approx 3/4 of a mile, there was a white opal car in front of us, then suddenly a drunk driver coming the opposite way sideswiped the opal causing the taxi i was in to swerve up the kerb, and we hit a telegraph pole.
I was launched from the cab through the windshield narrowly missing the pole, then i landed undeneath an hedge, (please note the events explained above about the actual collision i found out from the police)..
I was of course out cold having suffered a severe blow to the head, and my face was chopped liver. I was taken to hospital, and to the operating room where i received several pints of blood, and was operated on by two surgeons trying to save my life, during this time my heart stopped twice, and they had to restart it using the machine..
While this was going on i was above the table looking down on events from i assume was the ceiling. I saw in great clarity exactly what they were doing, i could hear their words clearly, and later on waking i quoted the doctors verbatim, and told them i had died twice.
Needless to say they were amazed but to me it seemed the most natural thing in the world..During the experience i felt aware that someone was with me, and i felt totally at peace with no fear of dying, in fact i was sad to know i had to return to my body. Since then i have had several OB's and to me it's a normal thing...Some argue that maybe i was not totally unconcsious but in actual fact i was Clinically dead, i could not have seen what was going on with my physical eyes because my face was so cut up, and my eyes so swollen it would have been impossible, yet i described to these doctors the exact procedures they were doing..Those like myself that experience this are lucky, and i believe that at sometime in our lives we all experience this but not all are aware of it happening, i can however clue you in to when it may be occuring, sometimes when you are in bed, relaxed, and comfortable your entire body may suddenly jump, this is it happening, the knack is, is not to panic but simply let it happen. This is my story, it is completely true, and i hope it may help some...Thank you[/i]

That account is so similar to mine! The feeling of it being completely natural - I wasn't frightened at all at the time. I only became frightened when I spoke about it to the staff afterwards and could see the look on their faces.

I also agree about the "jolt" thing when you are falling asleep, or half awake. It feels so natural - only now I know what it is.

One thing about the experience - people report this kind of experience all the time. What do the hospital staff make of it? Do they find it easy to dismiss/explain unless the details are particularly vivid and unexplainable in any other way? Were they scared when you spoke about it to them?

Looks like science is homing in on explanations:

Out of your head: Leaving the body behind
07 October 2009 by Anil Ananthaswamy
Magazine issue 2729.

THE young man woke feeling dizzy. He got up and turned around, only to see himself still lying in bed. He shouted at his sleeping body, shook it, and jumped on it. The next thing he knew he was lying down again, but now seeing himself standing by the bed and shaking his sleeping body. Stricken with fear, he jumped out of the window. His room was on the third floor. He was found later, badly injured.

What this 21-year-old had just experienced was an out-of-body experience, one of the most peculiar states of consciousness. It was probably triggered by his epilepsy (Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol 57, p 838). "He didn't want to commit suicide," says Peter Brugger, the young man's neuropsychologist at University Hospital Zurich in Switzerland. "He jumped to find a match between body and self. He must have been having a seizure."

In the 15 years since that dramatic incident, Brugger and others have come a long way towards understanding out-of-body experiences. They have narrowed down the cause to malfunctions in a specific brain area and are now working out how these lead to the almost supernatural experience of leaving your own body and observing it from afar. They are also using out-of-body experiences to tackle a long-standing problem: how we create and maintain a sense of self.

Dramatised to great effect by such authors as Dostoevsky, Wilde, de Maupassant and Poe - some of whom wrote from first-hand knowledge - out-of-body experiences are usually associated with epilepsy, migraines, strokes, brain tumours, drug use and even near-death experiences. It is clear, though, that people with no obvious neurological disorders can have an out-of-body experience. By some estimates, about 5 per cent of healthy people have one at some point in their lives.

etc...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... 427291.100

Fine, now we know the workings behind OOB experiences, now they need to explain rationally how people can observe themselves and other things around them whilst unconscious/sleeping/having seizures.

Its a little like saying: "Ghosts explained because we found that we see them with our eyes, hence our retina from where their impression is projected into the occipital lobes..."

But what are ghosts...and OOBE's?

AAAS: Out-of-body experiences are just the product of a confused mind
Out-of-body experiences are not "spiritual" phenomenon but tricks played by a confused mind, claim scientists who fooled people into thinking they inhabited the body of a virtual human.
By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent in Washington 7:00AM GMT 18 Feb 2011

Throughout history people have described how they have floated from their bodies and looked back at themselves, often when close to death or on the operating table.
The accounts have been so vivid that they are often cited as proof of the existence of the soul or Heaven.

But scientists now claim they have dispelled this myth by artificially creating an out-of-body experience using computers and cameras.
They believe the feeling of detachment occurs when the brain becomes confused by conflict between the senses - and is not proof of any "spiritual dimension" to existence.

Professor Olaf Blanke and his team at University of Geneva said they had "immersed" volunteers into the body of an avatar - a computer generated version of themselves.
Volunteers were asked to wear virtual reality goggles and then stand in front of a camera.
The subjects saw the cameras view of their back on screens in the goggles, computer enhanced to create a 3D virtual version or avatar.

When their back was stroked with a pen so was the virtual avatar in front of them, making them think that the virtual body was in fact their own.
In this way people became confused about their real and the virtual self - even though they were effectively two metres apart from each other.

Prof Blanke, who presented his findings at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) conference in Washington, said: "Through vision and touch they lost themselves.
"They start thinking that the avatar is their own body. We created a partial out-of-body experience.
"We were able to dissociate touch and vision and make people think that their body was two metres in front of them."

He said by inducing the out-of-body experience it proved it was more like a brain malfunction when sight, touch and balance become confused.
Dr Blanke said: "Instead of it being a spiritual thing, it is the brain being confused. Why do we think that it is spiritual when we don't think a phantom limb when one is lost is an example of the paranormal."

To take the research further they used sensors connected to the skull to find the areas of the brain most involved in deciding where it belongs.
These were found to be temporo-parietal and frontal regions - parts at the front and right side of the brain responsible for integrating touch and vision.
If these were damaged or somehow short-circuited it could account for the feeling of floating above your body often associated with an out-of-body experiences.

Aside from explaining out-of-body experiences, the work could have more commercial applications, said the researcher.
The technique could be used to make computer games even more exciting or projecting people into robot soldiers or surgeons.
They could even be used to treat eating disorders linked with a flawed body image, such as anorexia.

Out-of-body experiences most often occur during sleep or waking as well as through drug use, trauma and under anaesthetic.
They effect around one in 10 of the population.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8327 ... -mind.html

The most amazing aspect of these experiments is the way that the scientists manage to ignore what must be a library of books written on the subject over centuries.
Had they bothered to read anything, they would realise that confusion is not a prerequisite of OOBE. Anyone who has actually experienced OOBE or NDE which is similar, would not be impressed.

I sometimes wonder just how far the sceptics are prepared to go to detach themselves from reality and distance themselves from the experiences of normal human beings?

My own first OOBE took place many years ago at my GP's surgery. I was there because I was feeling ill after giving up smoking. I left my body and found myself in a far corner of the room observing the doctor speaking to me.

My son had an OOBE/NDE after a motor accident and described in detail the rescue from above the scene of the accident whilst his body was still trapped unconscious in the car.

Years later, I found that I could achieve the same state whilst sitting in a comfortable chair with my eyes closed. I'm aware of both my body and aware of the place I travel to. Very similar to remote viewing experiences.
Not difficult, anyone can do it if they are prepared to suspend their scepticism and take part in an experiment. There was a time when science was done this way. :D

Ghostisfort said:
The most amazing aspect of these experiments is the way that the scientists manage to ignore what must be a library of books written on the subject over centuries.
Had they bothered to read anything, they would realise that confusion is not a prerequisite of OOBE. Anyone who has actually experienced OOBE or NDE which is similar, would not be impressed.
They are not saying the person is confused and people are thinking :?: and can't rememer their mum's name or something , but that the brain is mistaking sensory input. Only the part of the brain responsible for connecting sensory stimuli to locations is confused.

...But scientists now claim they have dispelled this myth by artificially creating an out-of-body experience using computers and cameras.
They believe the feeling of detachment occurs when the brain becomes confused by conflict between the senses - and is not proof of any "spiritual dimension" to existence...

...They believe the feeling of detachment occurs when the brain becomes confused by conflict between the senses - and is not proof of any "spiritual dimension" to existence...

...When their back was stroked with a pen so was the virtual avatar in front of them, making them think that the virtual body was in fact their own.
In this way people became confused about their real and the virtual self - even though they were effectively two metres apart from each other...
A simulation of OOBE is used and because this simulation has characteristics that appear to be like OOBE a quantum leap is made, that this must be the answer to all other OOBE's. I think this is called begging the question?
A question presents itself as to why it was necessary to use a simulation when using the real thing would be comparatively easy, albeit not so controllable?
Can it be that the researchers simply wanted to reinforce an agenda?
I'm not sure what to call this, but it's certainly not science.

Can someone please explain to me why it's so important to remove "any "spiritual dimension" to existence"?

Ghostisfort said:
...But scientists now claim they have dispelled this myth by artificially creating an out-of-body experience using computers and cameras.
They believe the feeling of detachment occurs when the brain becomes confused by conflict between the senses - and is not proof of any "spiritual dimension" to existence...

...They believe the feeling of detachment occurs when the brain becomes confused by conflict between the senses - and is not proof of any "spiritual dimension" to existence...

...When their back was stroked with a pen so was the virtual avatar in front of them, making them think that the virtual body was in fact their own.
In this way people became confused about their real and the virtual self - even though they were effectively two metres apart from each other...
A simulation of OOBE is used and because this simulation has characteristics that appear to be like OOBE a quantum leap is made, that this must be the answer to all other OOBE's. I think this is called begging the question?
A question presents itself as to why it was necessary to use a simulation when using the real thing would be comparatively easy, albeit not so controllable?
Can it be that the researchers simply wanted to reinforce an agenda?
I'm not sure what to call this, but it's certainly not science.

Can someone please explain to me why it's so important to remove "any "spiritual dimension" to existence"?
If "real OOBE"'s were producible on demand to study, then scientists would not have to produce them to study the phenomenon. Given your previous statement about being able to do so, I would encourage you to proffer yourself to the researchers so the understanding of OOBE's can be advanced.

My wife did take part in a research project some time ago, to do with remote viewing online. As I remember, she got some quite surprising results. I can't recall who it was for, but I will enquire.

A seemingly fundamental component of OOBE and other paranormal events is that they are almost exclusively personal experiences and therefore do not lend themselves to repeatable, on-demand scientific study. The idea that they can be denied for this reason is flawed in that it supposes that science knows everything.

Remote viewing on the other hand, does lend itself to statistical analysis and this was carried out by the American military and others like the one my wife was involved with. As I've said above, OOBE and remote viewing are very much part of the same effect, with the RV sometimes having the ability to move about out of body.

Using the experiment in the article above as a means of debunking the paranormal is counterproductive in that it begs for the science to also be debunked, something not difficult that leads science into disrepute. It's often forgotten by sceptics that debunking is a two edged sword.

As for my own contribution, I have posted on another thread about my journey to Jupiter and one of the big surprises likely to be encountered by the NASA, Juno probe.....we will see?

Ah, yes; the giant bubble of water floating in Jupiter's atmosphere. That intrigues me; what depth was it at, how big, and how did you know it was water - could it have been supercritical hydrogen, perhaps?

To a supercritical poster on FT, I can assure you that distinct liquid and gas phases did exist.
It was a huge bubble that was maybe an eighth of the planet, difficult to tell, although not the usual kind - a bubble, clearly defined, of water floating in gas and resting on a layer of denser gas.

At the time my guide and transport would take me to various places, I assume he thought would be of interest to me. On this particular journey, I expected that we would go to Mars. We touched down on the desert for a short time, but he seemed to be impatient beckoning me. We then continued to Jupiter and the thing he wanted to show me; the water. :)

While (I'm afraid) being scepitcal of ghostisfort's trip to Jupiter (but no probs with being proved wrong!) I do share his frustration with science's ability to miss the point. Simulating an experience is not the same as having the experience. I really wonder what would happen if scientists actually found evidence of spiritual existence out of the body? Would they have the courage to publish it?

I have had mild experiences of being out of my body, once watching a train I was on snaking through the countryside. Nothing happened that I could not have simply imagined or dreamed, though. It's the cases where people have seen things that they couldn't (apparently) have known about or anticipated that are interesting.

I want a record for the sceptics.
NASA's Juno spacecraft is getting ready to lift off on Friday, Aug. 5, 2011. On Aug. 4, at about 5 a.m. PDT (8 a.m. EDT), the Jupiter explorer will be rolled some 1,800 feet (about 550 meters) from the 286-foot-tall (87-meter) Vertical Integration Facility, where the Atlas V rocket and Juno were mated, to its launch pad at Space Launch Complex 41 at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

"Our next move will be much farther -- about 1,740 million miles [2,800 million kilometers] to Jupiter," said Jan Chodas, Juno project manager from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "The rollout completes Juno's journey on Earth, and now we're excited to be taking our first step into space."

The launch period for Juno opens Aug. 5 and extends through Aug. 26. The spacecraft is expected to arrive at Jupiter in 2016. For an Aug. 5 liftoff, the launch window opens at 8:34 a.m. PDT (11:34 a.m. EDT) and remains open through 9:43 a.m. PDT (12:43 p.m. EDT).
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-239

the only times that i experienced anything that resembled an oobe i didnt realise until in one instance years later that this was the case.
while i was still living at home i had two very vivid dreams that were seperated by at least a few weeks, and must have occured in the early part of the year when i was 13 or 14. At the time i just presumed them to be normal dreams during which i was walking down a dark road. everything was normal, as it would be on a road at night, streetlights working etc, although there was nobody else around, or any cars as i was actually walking in the road.
In the first dream i remember arriving at a huge carved ornate door set between buildings looking at the carving and the size, and then being on the other side of the other side of the doorway looking into a building through a bowed georgian type window. (actually bending double and peering through the glass). i remember nothing else about the place itself, just again more walking down a dark road.
In the second dream i was again walking down a road at night, nowhere i recognised, just a normal two lane road bordered by first houses, then wooden fences and bushes onto fields.
On both occasions in the morning i felt very tired like id had interrupted sleep but thought nothing more of it apart from the vividness stayed with me.
Anyhoo later on that year we went on a family holiday to Scotland, there i was sitting in the back of the car with my brother with my mum in the front and my dad driving. At some point i looked out of the car window and realised that i recognised the road we were travelling on. i remarked as much to which my mum replied that i couldnt recognise it as we had never been there before. i then described the next part of the road, going round a bend and onto more open country, down to the type of fence and how the bushes were etc.
This was the road from my second dream.
A good few years later, maybe 10+ i had moved down south and had gone on a day trip to Canterbury. We wandered around and decided to look at the cathedral and it was then that i realised this was the place from my first dream, i even peered in the same window as before although the building was empty, not much to see.
I dont think this has happened since, tho i stopped being able to recall my dreams some years agoannoyingly enough.

Yes, I think this kind of experience is more common than most think.
We tend to rationalise such things away.

well it was these or rather the second dream as that was 'proven' to me sooner and a few other unrelated incidents that planted the conviction that there is more to the human condition that is worth trying to enourage and explore than the accepted number of senses (for want of a better term), and from there an interest in all things fortean.

Interesting. Even if there is a reservoir of water within Jupiter (which is, according to the results from the Galileo probe, unusually dry) the Juno probe is unlikely to penetrate deep enough to find it.

There probably is a layer of supercritical hydrogen, and a layer of liquid and then a layer of metallic hydrogen, but these would all be so deep that no man-made probe could see them without some sort of supernatural sense. I suspect we will have to wait a bit longer for the discovery of this feature.

The Jovian structure is theoretical and astronomical theory has a dodgy history.
As for the Galileo probe finding the atmosphere unusually dry: Jupiter is the planet that 'sweeps the solar system of comets', which are icy. Has it not occurred to someone that there is likely to be water there for this reason?

If it is there, it is buried deep beneath layers of unexpectedly dry hydrogen/helium mix.

I expect that there is some water there, by the way; the Galileo probe may have entered the planet at an unusually dry location. If remote viewing can determine the disposition of water in the complex atmosphere of this planet it would be a useful tool indeed,

Ghostisfort said:
As for the Galileo probe finding the atmosphere unusually dry: Jupiter is the planet that 'sweeps the solar system of comets', which are icy. Has it not occurred to someone that there is likely to be water there for this reason?
But Jupiter does this mainly by altering cometary orbits - either ejecting them from the Solar System altogether, or by sending them into smaller, short period orbits, which 'evaporate' the comets within a few thousand years because of frequent close passes of the sun.

Very few actually impact Jupiter, and when they do, the amount of mass they add to the giant planet is relatively miniscule.

Ghostisfort said:
I want a record for the sceptics.
NASA's Juno spacecraft is getting ready to lift off on Friday, Aug. 5, 2011. On Aug. 4, at about 5 a.m. PDT (8 a.m. EDT), the Jupiter explorer will be rolled some 1,800 feet (about 550 meters) from the 286-foot-tall (87-meter) Vertical Integration Facility, where the Atlas V rocket and Juno were mated, to its launch pad at Space Launch Complex 41 at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

"Our next move will be much farther -- about 1,740 million miles [2,800 million kilometers] to Jupiter," said Jan Chodas, Juno project manager from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "The rollout completes Juno's journey on Earth, and now we're excited to be taking our first step into space."

The launch period for Juno opens Aug. 5 and extends through Aug. 26. The spacecraft is expected to arrive at Jupiter in 2016. For an Aug. 5 liftoff, the launch window opens at 8:34 a.m. PDT (11:34 a.m. EDT) and remains open through 9:43 a.m. PDT (12:43 p.m. EDT).
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-239
So the prediction is the Juno probe will find this blob of water of yours?

Not so much a blob, more a planet-sized cylindrical clear tube full of clear liquid.
With a screwtop lid.

Alien enthusiast drowned in St Austell clay pit attempting out of body experience.
By Cornish Guardian.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013.

A YOGA fanatic from St Austell drowned in a disused clay pit after attempting to have a 'near-death experience' to achieve a higher level of spirituality, an inquest heard.
Luke Monrose, 27, of The Council Houses, Rescorla, intended to catch hypothermia and be taken to the brink of death in a bid to better himself and prove the existence of an afterlife.

Police divers discovered his body, clad in swimming goggles and a life jacket, at Lantern Pit on Sunday, May 19, almost two days after he told his mother, Susan, that he was meeting friends for a drink.

He had confided in younger brother Daniel, 26, who had agreed to pass a note explaining his actions to their mother if he did not return from the pit by noon on the Saturday.

Cornwall Coroner's Court heard yesterday that Luke had taken to practising for his near-death experience (NDE) attempt in the bath and had spent ten years reading books about aliens living among people on Earth.

An emotional Mrs Monrose said the most important thing was that people did not believe her son had intended to kill himself.
She said: "He knew he was going to do something that endangered his life. But this wasn't suicide and he wasn't suffering with a mental illness. The intent was not to die, but to have a near-death experience, but it went wrong. He made absolutely sure his mum knew where to find him [in the note]. He was brave and silly and he was thinking about me. He wasn't unhappy. It was a very unselfish act because he was trying to prove something to other people."

Luke enjoyed football and snooker at school and had plenty of friends, Mrs Monrose said. But after he left education he became withdrawn, stopped seeing his pals, and took to reading books on meditation and spirituality.
"I told him he should get out more, get a girlfriend and go to the pub and get drunk but he wasn't interested," she said.

A follower of conspiracy theorist David Icke, Luke came to believe that aside from proving life after death, an NDE would allow him to gain psychic powers, see the future and achieve an out [of] body experience known as astral projection.

Mrs Monroe told the court: "He read books on people that have had near-death experiences and came back with a new sense of purpose. Luke intended to be one of those people and to say 'It's OK, we don't die, we carry on'. That's what he intended to do. He took it to the extreme."

In a statement read out in court, Daniel, his brother, said: "It's my belief that Luke thought he was on this Earth to change the fate of the planet for the better. Luke and I weren't scared of death as we know that our consciousness is separate from our physical bodies."

Coroner Emma Carlyon recorded a narrative verdict that Luke "died as a consequence of a near-death experience which resulted in physical death". The cause of death was said to be drowning.

Paying tribute to her son after the inquest, Mrs Monrose said: "I didn't want anyone thinking he had killed himself on purpose. He was funny, brave and gentle and his spirit will never die."

Read more: http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Alien-e ... z2jHjetV2w

An interesting article with a part rebuttal. I am quite taken with the notion that such experiences may be significantly more common that we suppose and are unreported as they are seen to be unremarkable by the subject themselves - plausible, I think. Also, regardless of where you stand on the spectrum of credibility towards such phenomena, it is clear from the scans that something is occurring in the brain, which is very likely connected with the reported mental state - what 'it' is, however, is another matter...

The Woman Who Can Will Herself Out Of Her Body
The case of the voluntary out-of-body experience.
By Douglas Main Posted 03.06.2014 at 2:07 pm

After a class on out-of-body experiences, a psychology graduate student at the University of Ottawa came forward to researchers to say that she could have these voluntarily, usually before sleep. "She appeared surprised that not everyone could experience this," wrote the scientists in a study describing the case, published in February in Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.

Pretty crazy, right? One would think that if you could leave your own body and float above it, you'd be a little more... vocal about it. But since it was a common experience for her--one she "began performing as a child when bored with 'sleep time' at preschool... moving above her body" instead of napping--it may have appeared unremarkable. This is way more interesting than what I did, which was indeed napping.

The most exciting thing about this case, to me, is "the possibility that this phenomenon may have a significant incidence but [is] unreported because people do not think this is exceptional," as the authors wrote. "Alternatively," they continued, "the ability might be present in infancy but is lost without regular practice. This would be reminiscent of the discovery and eventual study of synesthesia that some researchers now hypothesized is more prevalent in young people or can be developed."

"She was able to see herself rotating in the air above her body"
Those are fascinating suggestions--both that these out-of-body experiences may be more common than previously thought, or could be learned during a critical window early in life.

But back to the case study. The 24-year-old "continued to perform this experience as she grew up assuming, as mentioned, that 'everyone could do it.'" This is how she described her out-of-body experiences: "She was able to see herself rotating in the air above her body, lying flat, and rolling along with the horizontal plane. She reported sometimes watching herself move from above but remained aware of her unmoving “real” body. The participant reported no particular emotions linked to the experience."

An unusual find, wrote the scientists, University of Ottawa researchers Andra M. Smith and Claude Messier--this is the first person to be studied able to have this type of experience on demand, and without any brain abnormalities. Instead of an "out-of-body" experience, however, the researchers termed it a "extra-corporeal experience" (ECE), in part because it lacks the strong emotions that often go hand-in-hand (such as shock & awe, for example).

To better understand what was going on, the researchers conducted a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) study of her brain. They found that it surprisingly involved a "strong deactivation of the visual cortex." Instead, the experience "activated the left side of several areas associated with kinesthetic imagery," such as mental representations of bodily movement.

Her experience, the scientists wrote, "really was a novel one." But just maybe, not as novel as previously thought. If you are capable of floating out of your body, don't keep it to yourself!

Update: Unpopular Science blogger Rebecca Watson wrote a critical response to this article. You can read it here.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/w ... f=obinsite

Critical response mentioned:

The Woman Who Thinks She Can Will Herself Out Of Her Body
By Rebecca Watson Posted 03.07.2014 at 2:42 pm

"Hold on just a second," you're thinking to yourself (I am not a psychic but I occasionally play one in blog posts). "Didn't I already read this article on Popular Science?"

No, friend: you read an article written by Douglas Main titled "The Woman Who Can Will Herself Out Of Her Body," which differs from this article's title by a few very small yet critical words. You see, that post describes a case study published in Frontiers in Human Neuroscience titled "Voluntary out-of-body experience: an fMRI study." Nothing in the post is immediately and obviously wrong, per se, but there are many things that are, at best, unclear. For instance, I've described this paper as a "case study," while the original article terms it a "study describing the case." The difference in wording seems minimal, but one phrase clearly means an exploration of one particular person or group, while the latter could mean an actual experimental study that includes this case in it.

It's important for readers to understand that the fMRI paper is not an experiment with a hypothesis, like "people can leave their bodies and float around the room," that has been tested in a double-blind scenario, like "once the subject was asleep, a playing card was placed next to them and removed before they woke. They were asked to name the card they saw during their out-of-body experience", and been shown to be statistically valid, like "8 out of 10 times the subject was able to correctly identify the playing card," and been peer reviewed and then published in a journal. Instead, this is the case of a person who claims to be able to leave her body at will, so researchers stuck her in an fMRI machine and looked at what happened to her brain when she was having this experience/hallucination.

The word "hallucination" appears ten times in the case study yet zero times in the Popular Science article. Because of this, a naive person who reads the PopSci article but not the original paper may walk away with the belief that the brain scans show what happens when a person actually leaves their body, as opposed to showing what happens when a person feels as though they are leaving their body. Again, the difference seems small but is actually quite large: the former describes a study that would be at home on an episode of Coast to Coast or Fringe or those episodes of Family Matters where Urkel did science experiments, and the latter would be at home in a scientific journal to be used as the basis for further study and experimentation.

In Douglas Main's defense, he may have not considered while writing the article that there are many people out there who really believe that some people have the ability to float up out of their bodies and wander around town like Ghost Dad. These people, however, not only exist but are always excited when a high-traffic science outlet gives them something to support their beliefs, so it may be best if we keep them in mind from now on.

http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/unpo ... t-her-body

Back