• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Painting Shapes On Your Face To Fool CCTV Recognition Algorithms

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
This story was told to me last night by one of the women in my yoga class, I was saying that I was going to a demo and she reckoned that if you paint a large black triangle on each cheek, it buggers up any facial recognition software the CCTV is run through by making it think your eyes are in a different place.

Of course, I just had to tell her about the episode of The Lone Gunmen where a similar thing happens and they try and break into a military base with their faces painted blue with red dots:

The_Lone_Gunmen_are_captured_zpsboz36rbk.jpg

I won't spoiler for those who haven't seen the episode so if you don't want to know how that works out, then
it is a total setup and the real plan is to make them look like idiots when they get busted with spotty blue faces!

This does show that the story has been doing the rounds for a while, but is there really anything in it?

You get a Special Prize for getting 3 typos in the thread title! :p

This story was told to me last night by one of the women in my yoga class, I was saying that I was going to a demo and she reckoned that if you paint a large black triangle on each cheek, it buggers up any facial recognition software the CCTV is run through by making it think your eyes are in a different place.

This does show that the story has been doing the rounds for a while, but is there really anything in it?

Thats very interesting, I wonder if a similar set up on your number plate works :)

If you've seen Four Lions, you know what to do.
Good luck with keeping it up all day though.

A good idea but the fact that you look like your having a fit will draw so much attention. :D

Thats very interesting, I wonder if a similar set up on your number plate works :)

You know how some cars have a small light bulb above the plate? I've heard that if you replace the bulb with a super-powerful one, it "washes out" the numbers as far as cameras are concerned. The numbers are still perfectly visible to the human eye, but all that cameras will get is a blurry flare.

It's been a long couple of weeks and another long couple coming up... my brain is baked.

Would a kindly mod perhaps fix the typos.

I wouldnt worry about it OneWingedBird too much.(I cant shorten your name here - cool )

Look at it this way, it will draw in more viewers who may add to this thread. And to be quite honest, I wasnt affected by the typos. No-ones perfect, we all make mistakes - including me :)

You know how some cars have a small light bulb above the plate? I've heard that if you replace the bulb with a super-powerful one, it "washes out" the numbers as far as cameras are concerned. The numbers are still perfectly visible to the human eye, but all that cameras will get is a blurry flare.

Yes and I heard that hair lacquer affects the flash from the camera. Right Im off before I get my collar felt :)

dreeness said:

Nearly. Some people in the criminal fraternity have used UV LEDs (ultra-violet Light Emitting Diodes) to obscure number-plates from Auto Recognition cameras. The human eye cannot see this, but certain imaging cameras do get wiped-out by UV. Similarly, some bank-robbers in the US have made UV LED facial illumination baseball caps, run from small batteries, that act as invisible masks. The CCTV lenses allegedly sometimes just record a wraith/white oval, but humans just see a normal unaffected face.

Please don't think of trying this for real.

However, it is possible to use your IR tv remote control as an invisible virtual laser-beam, if you have a camera that is sensitive at that opposite part of the spectum, and you want to do a bizarre reanactment from Star Wars. It's nearly virtual CGI....on a shoe-string budget.

GeorgeP said:
Yes and I heard that hair lacquer affects the flash from the camera. Right Im off before I get my collar felt

Mythbusters says 'no' (http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/way-to-beat-police-speed-cameras/) but there is some truth in the legend (polarizing film may work, yet seems clear to human eyes). Don't ever think of trying it for real, in case it partially works.

I suppose now that a lot of cameras have simple face recognition build in, it's relatively straightforward to test how much make-up will bugger it up.

The algorithms our evil overlords have are probably much better though.

If someone could create a transparent skin gel that also causes issues with CCTV...they would soon become a millionaire.

Trying to fool face recognition software could quickly foul up when you encounter old-fashioned cops with Mark I eyeballs, who think you look a bit weird and pull you in for a bit of questioning.... :p

This might be one for forteans of a female persuasion to apply collective wisdom but if anyone has ever used mineral make-up and then had their photo taken they'll get what i'm saying. There is a constituent in said make-up, (mica maybe?) that causes any photos taken to be startling, in that any flash used seems to reflect alarmingly, causing any hapless wearer to look like they've just been dis-interred. So maybe a bit of judicious application with two differing skin toned foundation bases using this as a guide would have a similar effect without screaming 'look at me i'm wearing CCTV camo'. No doubt the applied effect would be odd close up, but from, any distance it wouldn't be particularly noticeable, particularly combined with other algorithm fooling practices, (non-symmetry etc).
Alternatively we could just all hark back to the days of Adam and the Ants, maybe they could undergo a resurgeance in popularity.
Now all we need is a way of testing it...

This might be one for forteans of a female persuasion to apply collective wisdom but if anyone has ever used mineral make-up and then had their photo taken they'll get what i'm saying. There is a constituent in said make-up, (mica maybe?) that causes any photos taken to be startling, in that any flash used seems to reflect alarmingly, causing any hapless wearer to look like they've just been dis-interred. So maybe a bit of judicious application with two differing skin toned foundation bases using this as a guide would have a similar effect without screaming 'look at me i'm wearing CCTV camo'. No doubt the applied effect would be odd close up, but from, any distance it wouldn't be particularly noticeable, particularly combined with other algorithm fooling practices, (non-symmetry etc).
Alternatively we could just all hark back to the days of Adam and the Ants, maybe they could undergo a resurgeance in popularity.
Now all we need is a way of testing it...

You could of course take an easier approach to camera avoidance - never leave the house again. Sure, it may affect you social status and send you a tad potty but hey, big brother wont be watching you anymore. If cabin fever did set in, you could always resort to walking around outdoors with a balaclava hiding your boat race. But that might light you up like a Christmas tree. The only practical solution I have come across that works a treat is to dress up like a clown. Sure, you stick out like a sore thumb but your make-up and red nose make identification impossible.

So there you have it. If you want to beat big-brother at its own game become a children's entertainer.

You could of course take an easier approach to camera avoidance - never leave the house again. Sure, it may affect you social status and send you a tad potty but hey, big brother wont be watching you anymore.
Works for me.
I'm not crazy...much. :D

Back