• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pant-Wettingly Scary Public Information Films

they found the body of a young man who had OD- he had been stashed under the sofa so as not to spoil the party.
Similar happened in a squat where the brother of a former workmate of mine used to live.

People were coming and going, some using drugs, hardly anyone using their full names, so when a young man was found dead of an overdose nobody knew much about him. They certainly didn't want the police sniffing around.

So the deceased was rolled up in an old carpet and late the next night, dumped in a skip round the corner.
Dunno any more about it.

Some family may have been waiting to hear from their son or partner, and now they never will.

That sounds a bit like John Hurt narrating?
Ex-Doctor Patrick Troughton according to a commenter..

So is the advice don't polish your floor if you have a rug, or continue polishing but do away with the rug? Is it anti-polishing or anti-rug? I'm in a quandary.

Ex-Doctor Patrick Troughton according to a commenter..

So is the advice don't polish your floor if you have a rug, or continue polishing but do away with the rug? Is it anti-polishing or anti-rug? I'm in a quandary.
Well you certainly shouldn't polish your rug.

A bit like Peter Sellers who had a heart attack whilst shagging Britt. Allegedly. He survived though.
It apparently happens, as they say, a lot. All paramedics have stories about incidents they've attended or heard of.

If the man has been taken ill in the wrong bed, the story goes, the records might be amended to show him stopping in a layby or at a friend's house because he felt ill.

I find the Troughton death rumour a little improbable, though not impossible. This is because there were very few women who went to SF conventions back then. I went to a few back in the 80s, not much chance of nookie in my personal experience. Maybe the situation was better in America?

I find the Troughton death rumour a little improbable, though not impossible. This is because there were very few women who went to SF conventions back then. I went to a few back in the 80s, not much chance of nookie in my personal experience. Maybe the situation was better in America?
The female attendance at such conventions in the States is generally higher than the UK. And also it was back in the day as well.

Perhaps there was something else that was stopping that from happening Mytho?
You mean, like my extreme good looks?
No, as far as I could tell, there were probably only about 5 unattached young ladies there and they were fully engaged in chat-up mode.

I had to look this up. Scurrilous internet rumour or is there any basis to it?
From what I've heard from the Dr Who sites, it's an invention.

I wonder whether there were any public information films warning about these dangers for men of a certain age?

As for Troughton, tries to dismiss mental image of a Dalek screeching "Ejaculate, ejaculate."

Back