• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Paranormal Car Crashes

ChrisBoardman

Justified & Ancient
(Not sure where to put this one so feel free to move)

I just can across this clip on youtube......

It shows a series of car accidents in what may be the same tunnel, some seem very odd, even if they do have rational explanations.

But about a minute into the clip there seems to be a crash where a lorry materialises out of nowhere and causes another lorry to crash. I have seen the clip a long time ago but forgotten about it.

(apologies if this clip has already been discussed)

What does everyone think?

Unexpected water on the road surface, perhaps?

It looks as though the "invisible" truck is actually being pushed into the side of the tunnel by the visible one. When it comes to the vent/louvring sticking out it crashes into that thus hitting visi-van.

Inattentiveness and speed perhaps?.
Looks like the lorry that seemed invisible was going in the opposite direction when the visible lorry was hit but there was no sign of it coming the opposite way

We can't tell for sure because of the fuzzy quality, but...did the invisible lorry shoot out of a side tunnel?
That's what it looks like to me.

It looks as though the "invisible" truck is actually being pushed into the side of the tunnel by the visible one. When it comes to the vent/louvring sticking out it crashes into that thus hitting visi-van.

Most probable explanation.

As for the other crashes, some pretty awful driving.

Iced-up road surface. It's the Lefortovo tunnel in Moscow, which runs under a river. Water leaks in, which is nightmare fuel for me*, and then freezes. The typically restrained Russian driving style familiar to us from dashcam compilations does the rest.

* Sudden revelation time: it strikes me just now that this is because of the Dambusters film, with its footage of trickles of water suddenly becoming a torrent as the dams collapse. I get the shivers using the Blackwall tunnel :eek:.

During the 1928 exorcism in Earling, Iowa, Father Joseph Steiger was alleged to have crashed his new car and it was supposedly linked to the exorcism. As I recall, a cloud suddenly appeared as he was approaching a bridge and while he was driving through iit, he lost control of the car and crashed. IIRC, this was from the book The Devil Rocked Her Cradle.

During the 1928 exorcism in Earling, Iowa, Father Joseph Steiger was alleged to have crashed his new car and it was supposedly linked to the exorcism. As I recall, a cloud suddenly appeared as he was approaching a bridge and while he was driving through iit, he lost control of the car and crashed. IIRC, this was from the book The Devil Rocked Her Cradle.

Didn't Rod Steiger almost crash in the Amytiville horror after blessing the Lutz's house?

Last edited:
(Not sure where to put this one so feel free to move)

I just can across this clip on youtube......

It shows a series of car accidents in what may be the same tunnel, some seem very odd, even if they do have rational explanations.

But about a minute into the clip there seems to be a crash where a lorry materialises out of nowhere and causes another lorry to crash. I have seen the clip a long time ago but forgotten about it.

(apologies if this clip has already been discussed)

What does everyone think?

That appearing lorry at 1:00 is a complete WTF? moment.

It appears to crash through the wall of the tunnel from the other side!

when it first becomes visible the cab appears to be facing the camera ?

That appearing lorry at 1:00 is a complete WTF? moment.

It appears to crash through the wall of the tunnel from the other side!
Perhaps there is a tunnel next to it, with a thin wall?

Not a crash, but this reminds me of a story an old friend, not seen him for more than several years, once told us. He grew up in the same place as me, although we never knew eachother as we were in different years in school, and met in adulthood.

The old Great North Road used to run through our village. But when we were kids in the 1960s, not everyone had cars and it wasn't such a busy road as it is now. Even so, cars had to slow down to 30 MPH through the village, then as now.

In the 1990s, predictably a foggy night (Vale of York, fog is normal) my friend was walking home one night, and his attention was drawn to the road as he heard some strange sounding cars approaching. No-one else about - I dunno what time of night this was. He realised he could see two 1950s/60s cars looking like they were almost 'racing' along the old Great North Rd. Well above the speed limit. He told me the make of one car but I forget what it was. He said something about the sound they were making wasn't 'normal'.

Then they went round the corner (I know the spot where he saw them - it is within sight of the house where I grew up) and were gone.

He couldn't explain it but reckoned something about them was 'supernatural'. Not just because they were speeding, and the age of the cars (no vintage rallies roundabout at the time), and some quality of the sound they were making.

Not a crash, but this reminds me of a story an old friend, not seen him for more than several years, once told us. He grew up in the same place as me, although we never knew eachother as we were in different years in school, and met in adulthood.

The old Great North Road used to run through our village. But when we were kids in the 1960s, not everyone had cars and it wasn't such a busy road as it is now. Even so, cars had to slow down to 30 MPH through the village, then as now.

In the 1990s, predictably a foggy night (Vale of York, fog is normal) my friend was walking home one night, and his attention was drawn to the road as he heard some strange sounding cars approaching. No-one else about - I dunno what time of night this was. He realised he could see two 1950s/60s cars looking like they were almost 'racing' along the old Great North Rd. Well above the speed limit. He told me the make of one car but I forget what it was. He said something about the sound they were making wasn't 'normal'.

Then they went round the corner (I know the spot where he saw them - it is within sight of the house where I grew up) and were gone.

He couldn't explain it but reckoned something about them was 'supernatural'. Not just because they were speeding, and the age of the cars (no vintage rallies roundabout at the time), and some quality of the sound they were making.
Custom cars, perhaps? Old cars that had nitro injection added.

Perhaps there is a tunnel next to it, with a thin wall?

It appears to me there may be a large niche or parking / auxiliary / storage space behind the wall to the right. I can recall seeing such side-spaces used for (e.g.) storing materials or parking tunnel-related vehicles and equipment in some, but not all, larger / longer tunnels.

I can also recall a large twin-tunnel project that was half-finished to permit limited (single lane in each direction) usage while the second side was still under construction. In driving through the first / interim tunnel one could see construction equipment and activities off to the side through intermittent openings.

Having more or less convinced myself there's an opening / space behind the right wall ... My initial theory is that the mysteriously-appearing truck was attempting to pull out into the tunnel and was hit by the visible truck. The bulk of the visible truck obscured the second truck entering from the right. This is consistent with what appears (to me, at least) to be the facts that:

(a) the second / pop-up truck seems to show damage only in the front / cab area as it comes into view (implying the visible truck didn't hit it from the rear as one would ordinarily expect; and

(b) the movement of the second truck is entirely consistent with its having been impacted from the side rather than from the rear.

My favourite paranormal car crash was something that stuck in my mind from a childhood ghost book. I tracked the book down recently (so many of the drawings were etched in my mind... it was quite strange to see them again). The book says: "In the 1930s a driver died and cars crashed, swerving to avoid a phantom bus. The bus was fully lit but had no passengers or crew. It was seen several times late at night careering towards a dangerous junction in Kensington, London. When the corner was finally made safer, the bus no longer appeared."

I was so pleased to read this after (ahem) so many years. But when I tried to find more details on the internet - I've not found anything more about this. I hope it wasn't just FIBS.

My favourite paranormal car crash was something that stuck in my mind from a childhood ghost book. I tracked the book down recently (so many of the drawings were etched in my mind... it was quite strange to see them again).

I have that book, it did the rounds at my primary school, "I dare you to look at the ghost picture" and I still have a copy. There are everal stories I haven't read elsewhere, the Australian billabong ghost who pointed at his grave, springs to mind.

The book covers Berkley square, as well as Borley rectory, an indepth bit on Harry Price, the phantom double decker, along with a number of others, it was my go to book when I was a kid.

I have that book, it did the rounds at my primary school, "I dare you to look at the ghost picture" and I still have a copy. There are everal stories I haven't read elsewhere, the Australian billabong ghost who pointed at his grave, springs to mind.
Ooh not the same book then, I don't see one about a billabong. So that's interesting if you've got the bus story elsewhere. Though mine is 1981 so they probably copied it straight over! Mine is the Piccolo Explorer 'Mysteries - Ghosts'. It's entirely illustrated by (lovely but terrifying at the time) paintings.

The bus story was illustrated with a gory tableaux of the phantom bus and a car crashed into a lampost, the occupant sprawled across the bonnet bleeding.

Was yours by Daniel (I'm related to Bram Stoker, have I mentioned that?) Farson?

No, it's David Lambert. It's a very thin thing. But presumably set me on the long path to forteana and frightening myself for fun. The length suggests it's for relatively small kids so no gore. But there's a dreadful picture of some wraith coming out of a grave. And a skeleton wearing a fancy dress with a massive hat and bouffant hair. Those were bad enough. As I say I think the illustrations stuck with me more than any other book before or since. I must have been just at the right age.

Custom cars, perhaps? Old cars that had nitro injection added.

[pedant mode] Nitrous injection wouldn't make much noise in itself, it would just make the engine rev more quickly [/pedant mode] ;)

On a more constructive note, there are a plethora of weird noises that can be made by modified classics. Straight-cut gears at high speed can literally scream like a wounded animal, older superchargers whine incessantly, stainless steel exhausts can have truly weird patterns of reverb - an observer with no real experience of non-standard cars could easily be thoroughly unnerved at close quarters.

[pedant mode] Nitrous injection wouldn't make much noise in itself, it would just make the engine rev more quickly [/pedant mode] ;)
Wouldn't revving the engine up make more noise?

My favourite paranormal car crash was something that stuck in my mind from a childhood ghost book. I tracked the book down recently (so many of the drawings were etched in my mind... it was quite strange to see them again). The book says: "In the 1930s a driver died and cars crashed, swerving to avoid a phantom bus. The bus was fully lit but had no passengers or crew. It was seen several times late at night careering towards a dangerous junction in Kensington, London. When the corner was finally made safer, the bus no longer appeared."

I was so pleased to read this after (ahem) so many years. But when I tried to find more details on the internet - I've not found anything more about this. I hope it wasn't just FIBS.

There's a thread devoted to the famous phantom double decker bus (a Number 7) of Kensington, London here.

Back