• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People With Violet Eyes

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
Was reading Jack Williamsons `Legion of Time`

(one of the best sf stories ever written BTW)

The Heroine has violet eyes.

Interesting the amount of fictional characters with violet or purple eyes.

Why?

And are there any real persons with this bizzare color??

I can't say i've ever come across one if they exist.

You can certainly get contacts in that colour though, or could a few years ago, as i had a pair back in 2001 which matched my (then) violet hair.

There are references to Elizabeth Taylor having violet eyes. No idea if she does or not, as I haven't see them in anything terribly recently. (It's hard to tell on TV when she's wearing so much makeup and/or sunglasses.)

It's just beautiful and unusual and violet is a romantic colour. I've only seen violet eye contact lensed people (one)

I've seen an almost violet eye, but it was more of a deep blue, and I guess it might look violet in certain lighting conditions. It was in a jar waiting for transplant, in a fridge, amongst lots and lots of other potted eyes. As I was a little shocked to see all those eyes looking back at me, I didn't stare for long enough to pay loads of attention :shock:

There is a condition known as Alexandria's Genesis that causes purple eyes.

Anome_ said:
There are references to Elizabeth Taylor having violet eyes. No idea if she does or not, as I haven't see them in anything terribly recently. (It's hard to tell on TV when she's wearing so much makeup and/or sunglasses.)

One of the reasons Taylor was popular in Technicolor movies was supposedly because it showed up her unusual eye colour to flattering effect.

The famous North American Roman Catholic prelate and radio and later television broadcaster, Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, had violet eyes.

It was said that Emma Hamilton (the mistress of Nelson) had violet eyes. The eye colour is not unknown around here, where she was born. In fact my great-grand father had very deep blue eyes and these where referred to as violet, he really had the most remarkable eyes even as a very old man.

My father had violet eyes as a child, but after puberty, they turned green. Or so he said.

Ronson8 said:
There is a condition known as Alexandria's Genesis that causes purple eyes.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Apparent, you mean you think it could really be true? sceptic

Apparently as in there's an awful lot of links to go through there and i'm tired and have other things to do.

This Live Science article confirms Elizabeth Taylor indeed had violet eyes, and it explains how this rare eye color occurs.
Did Elizabeth Taylor really have violet eyes?

... Due to her immense talent as an actress, she was a captivating screen presence and audiences often found themselves hypnotized by her famous violet eyes. But did Elizabeth Taylor really have violet eyes? ...

These days, thanks to colored contact lenses, anyone can have violet-colored eyes . Taylor didn't come by her purple peepers that way; the first tinted contact lenses weren't commercially available until 1983. Taylor's eye color was the real deal.

The appearance of the iris, the colored ring that's around the eye's black pupil depends on how much of the natural pigment melanin it contains. The more melanin in your iris, the darker your eyes will look (melanin levels are determined by your genes ). For example, the irises of a person with dark brown eyes have more melanin than the eyes of a green-eyed person. Taylor's eyes had a very specific, and rare, amount of melanin ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/33149-did-elizabeth-taylor-really-have-violet-eyes.html

As I recall, the Targaryen family in A Song of Ice & Fire was described as having purple eyes. I met someone once with almost yellow eyes.

The whole 'heroine has violet eyes' is a much-derided trope among romantic fiction writers. It used to be a short cut for explaining that the heroine was 'mega attractive in a different way'. Nowadays we just laugh about it, because it takes more than unusual coloured eyes to make someone attractive.

And I speak as one who knows, I have eyes that are very slightly different colours - one eye has more darker pigment in in patches, so in low light it looks a very different colour to the other. It does not make me attractive, sadly.

I grew up being told I was blue eyed. I think I am probably a bluey shade of some sort but in recent years someone said my eyes were green.....

I do think the surroundings can reflect colour onto your eyes etc so probably my eyes were picking up a green shade from elsewhere....

Interestingly Liz Taylor apparently had double eyelashes.....I have always had eyelashes with some extras and thought it was the same for everyone until I read about Liz Taylor....

Never seen anyone with violet eyes, but mine are odd - in the sunlight, they are turquoise green with a gold ring around the pupil.
I've been told they are witch's eyes, lol.

Eh? You're never telling me my memory has let me down? Er, what were we talking about?
ETA: I'm not very wrong, though. I mean, it's not like Peake was also a poet who would weigh his word choices very carefully, or indeed a talented visual artist who would likewise carefully weigh textures and precise colour shades...
IWM_IWM_LD_3685-001.jpg

Last edited:
Eh? You're never telling me my memory has let me down? Er, what were we talking about?
ETA: I'm not very wrong, though. I mean, it's not like Peake was also a poet who would weigh his word choices very carefully, or indeed a talented visual artist who would likewise carefully weigh textures and precise colour shades...
I was only saying Titus Groan may not be as well known as you think. Certainly not common knowledge in the U.S.A. - Is it different where you are?

The sclera going yellow, yes. This was just the pupil though.

Back