• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Personal Rememberence Of Altered Timelines

Hook Innsmouth~ said:
"Does anybody else here have times when they can remember some event as having happened - then later, you find out that you were wrong and what you remembered never happened at all"

A most unusual occurance once presented itself to me about eleven years or so ago. I was in Leeds, I'd travelled up from London for an interview at the University there, and was waiting in a room full of applicants, about thirty or so. People who knew one another (small numbers of two or three) huddled together but largely the room was silent because nobody knew each other. I say silent but the radio was on.

There was an announcement on the radio that a light aeroplane had in the last hour crashed into an unidentified flying object over some county somewhere, near to a civilian area (I think it may have been just outside of Birmingham). The unidentified flying object was described as unlike anything anyone had ever seen, and that local fire departments were having a devil of a time putting out the blaze which had begun to spread. There was also word of bodies found thrown from the wreck, and the item did mention that the light aeroplane had only the pilot on board and yet something like about six bodies had been found though it was difficult to determine if some of these bodies weren't people on the ground. It was an item inbetween other news items delivered with as much serious intent. Infact as I recall it was the opening item. What followed afterwards was politics, an agricultural article and short piece about a football stadium and then the weather. It was radio two so it'd made national news.

Anyway, it was an item that certainly brought me out of my shell a little and as it was playing I noticed that nobody was really reacting to it. The groups of people chatting hadn't stopped chatting, and those staring at the floor and not talking had barely blinked. there was no connection. The article was quite long as they began to talk about the possibility of visitors from other planets etc. There was even concern about widespread panic, though judging from the room I was in, there was no danger of that. Anyway, just after the article I turned to the person next to me and asked, "did you hear that?" and they just looked at me and said, "hear what?" Well I assumed there and then they'd just been lost in their own world and just hadn't heard (you know how you do). I went on to say "the radio, the ufo crash." the fella next to me just said, "no, I didn't hear that." but he was intriged. The conversation went flat quickly after that and silence was resumed. An awkward moment.

So I went into the interview...the radio could be heard, actually quite loudly in the hallway outside the interview room. I actually started by commenting on the remarkable news, but they said they hadn't heard it. understandibly so, they were no doubt interviewing at the time. but what struck me as odd was simply no-one was talking about it at all.

Anyway, I left the interview and picked up a ride home to london with people from Sheffield. I was talking to them about it, and they'd heard nothing either. we put the radio on. no follow up story. nothing. got back to london, I scoured the papers, the news channels. nothing. It was only then that it hit me that maybe, just maybe nobody else did hear it...it must have been my addled imagination. but the thing is I DID hear it. There was an entire news item on it, which I sat and listened to whilst waiting for my interview. I have ever since that day searched and searched for the item in question, cross referencing sightings etc etc...but nothing. There's not even any record of it having been a hoax news item.

This is interesting because I believe it ties in with the post on hypnosis as there was a case where somebody walked passed a UFO at a quarry and was told by a voice (alien) that he hadn't seen anything/ there was nothing there. There was also a case of a photo featured in FT of a tree that suddenly appeared, which is just like the double roundabout someone mentioned earlier. I remember seeing a UFO in my youth and was astounded by it and the fact that my other school chums with me at the time acted like it wasn't there at all (Several hundred feet long, moving slowly between two banks of clouds and clearly visible for ten minutes). Years later I learned of 'SEP's' as described by Douglas Adams in one of his Hitch-Hiker Guide to the Galaxy books, featuring The Cricket Wars and a UFO that stole The Ashes, seemingly invisible to everyone but Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent ('Somebody Else's Problem' was how the former described it to the latter.

Talking of people's death being announced who turn out to be still alive - We should create a list and dates, to see if there is any significance to it. Over the years I've heard examples and recently my partner Margaret announced that she'd heard David Jason had died and was mystified that there was no announcement during the Terry Pratchet series on Sky recently, about it.

This is nowhere near as spooky as some of the posts on here, but still, it's odd, inasmuch as something I knew to be true until last week, isn't. Or is it?

I decided to re-watch the Omen films, all three of them - I have the DVD box-set. Now what's the one piece of music that everyone associates with The Omen? "Carmina Burana", surely, that singing/chanting/sinister-whispering choral song that used to do so much for Old Spice aftershave.

Well, I watched the first film, and it wasn't on that, but I thought hey-ho, memory's playing up, must be the second one, Damien. But no. And it wasn't on the soundtrack of the third film, either. The single most famous piece of music in The Omen doesn't, in fact, appear anywhere in the film or its two sequels.

What's going on? Is it just me? I'll ask a stupid question - does anyone else think this piece of music is on the soundtrack to one or more of these films? And if so, have I just listened to an "alternative" soundtrack, or have I simply invented the whole memory?

I'm sure that was in the Omen and its sequels! Was it just something that sounded like it?

The Carmina Burana (in particular, Oh, Fortuna, Imperatrix Mundi) featured in the Arthurian film Excalibur.

The song you're thinking of is most likely Ave Satani - composed by Jerry Goldsmith.

nyarlathotepsub2 said:
The Carmina Burana (in particular, Oh, Fortuna, Imperatrix Mundi) featured in the Arthurian film Excalibur.

The song you're thinking of is most likely Ave Satani - composed by Jerry Goldsmith.
The tune in my head is definitely "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana, so I don't know what's going on. Yes, I'm aware of "Ave Satani", which accompanied the big sinister dogs in The Omen, but I was always convinced that "O Fortuna" also appeared in one or more of the films. No - more than convinced, I knew it!

Soundtrack music is one of the most common reasons for films disappearing for long periods while rights issues are sorted out. I can see no reference to changes in the soundtrack to The Omen on imdb but that oracle is often wrong.

Is it possible that the powerful association came from a trailer, where stock tracks are often used, especially when the score has yet to be completed? :)

Funilly enough, i remembered at least one of the omen films having oh fortuna in it too, right before the nasty deaths ocurr :?

you got me. i just googled the living shit out of this one and can't find anything definitive linking the omen with oh fortuna... though there is an interesting page on just about everything it's been used in which does tell us:

It should be noted that the music from Carmina Burana does not appear in the 1976 film The Omen as is often thought. The choral music for the film was composed by Jerry Goldsmith and won him his only Academy Award .

uh oh! we all has false memory syndrome! :shock: :D

Well, thanks for all the research, guys (sorry, ladies, that's used in a non-gender-specific sense, you understand).

I'm left with two options: either my memory is wrong - ha! - or like BRF, I was born in a universe where "O Fortuna" preceded Patrick Troughton being skewered by a lightning conductor, and am now stuck in this one, where he died to a different piece of music altogether.

It is weird. I'm at a loss how i could mistake the soundtrack material for orff... it doesn't really sound anything like :?

I've seen The Omen two or three times and must admit I've never associated Carmina Burana with it. Old Spice ads, yes, but not The Omen.

I don't think you are the only ones confused by this though. I seem to recall that in Only Fools and Horses, when Del Boy called his son Damien the 'O Fortuna' music played. This was a continuing theme throughout the series everytime Rodney and Damien's paths crossed.
Something weird going on here......

If that's so, could it be that they could get copyright clearance for the Orff and not for the film score?

Kath

I have the idea that "O Fortuna" was used in the trailers (previews) to the Omen films.

I have never seen any of the trilogy (not a great fan of horror) but I too have a link in my memory of the Omen films and "O Fortuna" and assume that it has come from seeing trailers/adverts for the movies.

Well, I'm glad it's not just me that remembers this differently from the "truth". And obviously, the writers of Only Fools are in the same situation.

Don't fret, BRF, just embrace the fact that you, I and many others have actually jumped universes at some point in the last 30 years.

Maybe you believed it was there because you expected it to be there? It's a commonly used piece of music for dramatic purposes after all, maybe there was a similar film or TV show that used it in an Omen kind of way?

Reminds me of the pic of the thunderbird nailed to a barn which I could swear I'd seen on the net but apparently it was just my imagination. :?

gncxx said:
Maybe you believed it was there because you expected it to be there?
I can't be certain, of course, memory being a fickle thing, but I'm pretty sure that I "knew" this music was in the film from the moment I first saw it.

As for the Thunderbird picture, Pete, I'm absolutely sure I've never seen it, but I still know what it looks like. Figure that one out!

Don't worry Pete. I do remember seeing that pic. Wasn't it just a guy with his son posing to the sides of it?

I also remember Nelson Mandella dying in prison, but that's another story.

tonyblair11 said:
Don't worry Pete. I do remember seeing that pic. Wasn't it just a guy with his son posing to the sides of it?

I also remember Nelson Mandella dying in prison, but that's another story.
The way I remeber it, A huge bird with a wingspan of about ten metres with men, possibly cowboys either side.

We also have/had a couple of threads on 'Peeps you thought were dead'.

Ronson8 said:
The way I remeber it, A huge bird with a wingspan of about ten metres with men, possibly cowboys either side.
..chaps in US Civil War uniform? Yep, me too. But as Ryn said, we have a devoted thread (and over on Cryptozoology, mention is made of a Bigfoot photo that both Nataraja and I remember, with the same significant difference, but no-one else seems to recall it at all: and in which I cite the thunderbird pic again - perhaps we need a general thread on Fortean photographic memes?)

Why doesn't this timeline jumping ever affect one of the "peeps you thought were dead?" I imagine Walter Cronkite (as someone mentioned on the board) waking up one morning, seeing different furniture in his house, going out and having people yell, "AAAAUGH! It's Walter Cronkite back from the dead!" or some such.

Since ever I can remember I have had what I presume to be "lucid" dreams. I can remember most of the details of them the next day and that when I am having them (or being in one of them, which makes more sense somehow) I know that they are just dreams while they are happening.(I have never tried to control events as they are not disturbing in any way)

The landscape of these dreams is what separates them from other dreams that I have. It is the same geographical landscape (same hills, rivers,etc) as the one that is real (when awake), the place names are the same but all the man made parts, roads, buildings, etc are totally different from those in reality, it's almost as if this dream place is an alternative reality (although I must say it is not my idea of an ideal one, not better or worse, just different).

The people in these dreams are those that I know together with stangers (much the same as in real life) but their lifes are different. The relationshiips I have with them are different.

This "dream place" has altered over the years, just as a normal place would do, new buildings, new roadways. The technology is different, but not radically so. It is the same place that I dream of every time when these dreams occur and sometimes I have a surprises when there are changes. there.

I suppose all this makes me sound crazy :( but I do not feel affected by these dreams, I just let them unfold and go along for the ride so to speak.

I have two types of dreamscape, the fluid ones, that are composites of places I've been to and the other quite solid, fairly stable one, that as you decribe it is mapped fairly closely onto this world, but with differences. There's some of the same people too, but with altered histories and a few people who are dead here, but not there.

I've realised that I actually have a memory of the places within the dream and its alternative hiostory. When i kept a dream diary I had them noted as "parallel universe" dreams, not that I think that that's the most likely explanation.

It's slightly disorientating when I wake up from these dreams as there's a few moments when I'm not sure I have woken up into the right universe.

I tell you one interesting thing I once found but can never locate again, that must be associated with an alternate timeline (or a highly elaborate hoax). It was pictures someone took of the exterior of their US property, that when developed showed scenes of cowboys clearing the area of slaughtered native americans that merged over the original shots. I think there was some history about settlers having done that in the area, and the photos presented some residual spirit photography. One vivid shot I do remember was a pile of corpses ready for burning. Morbid, hey?

Ok now reading back through that it does seem very far fetched, but I'm buggered if I can ever find that information again. Must be a glitch in the Matrix for sure.

Back