• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

I love the Coens, and have no objections to a Scarface remake (De Palma's was, of course, a remake itself), but the last time they wrote a script for a remake they didn't direct was Gambit, which, being charitable, was not good...

Warner wants to make a Matrix remake already.
---------------------

The Matrix' Reboot in the Works at Warner Bros. (Exclusive)
matrix_1999_49-h_2017.jpg

Warner Bros./Photofest
'The Matrix' (1999)
the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. The studio had no comment.

Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new film. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. Warners is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer. Silver's reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Written and directed by the Wachowskis, the original movie sees humanity living in a simulated reality, unaware that humans are in pods in which their bodies are being harvested for energy. A computer programmer named Neo (Keanu Reeves) slowly becomes aware of this suppressed existence, eventually becoming humanity’s one true hope (Neo = One) to overthrow the oppressors. The pic also starred Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matrix-reboot-works-at-warner-bros-986292

Oh, sweet Elvis in heaven, it's official, there are no new ideas in Hollywood! Next they'll be remaking Howard The Duck!

Matrix remake? WTF!
How can you improve on perfection?

Dark City was excellent. Personally I would like to see them take another crack at Neverending Story, do the whole book.

Dark City was excellent. Personally I would like to see them take another crack at Neverending Story, do the whole book.
Yes, that would be so much better with modern CGI techniques.
I liked the music in the original, but they'd probably have to change that too.

I would love a remake of Neverending Story, but keep the original song!

I'll only ever get pissed off if they try to remake JAWS .. until then, I'm fine ...

You can blame Jaws for all those shark movies that clog up budget DVD shelves and streaming services. They don't need to remake it. I did see The Shallows and thought it was all right, liked the seagull (Steven!), but I'm pretty sure sharks don't bear grudges.

You can blame Jaws for all those shark movies that clog up budget DVD shelves and streaming services. They don't need to remake it. I did see The Shallows and thought it was all right, liked the seagull (Steven!), but I'm pretty sure sharks don't bear grudges.
I saw another one, a JAWS ripoff/tribute in ASDA a few days back .. there's someone famous in it .. I think it was Daryl Hannah ? .. hang on, I'll be back in a sec on this ..

edit: SHARK SWARM .... your's for £3 at ASDA at the moment ..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1078927/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_25

Last edited:
I would love a remake of Neverending Story, but keep the original song!
Dump the rubbish song, and make a more faithful adaptation of the original book, probably over two movies.

I'll only ever get pissed off if they try to remake JAWS .. until then, I'm fine ...

It was sort of remade as The Beast, based on another book from the author of Jaws, who seems to just churn out killer wildlife romps.

The Beast was Jaws but with a giant squid. Which swam backwards. And at one point jumps out of the water to ring the bell on a buouy, because something. I don't recall making it to the end.

It might be hissing, the shark in Jaws: The Revenge roars after all.

Dump the rubbish song, and make a more faithful adaptation of the original book, probably over two movies.
Are you secretly Peter Jackson ? .. if so, nice one but less walking characters in this one please ..

Are you secretly Peter Jackson ? .. if so, nice one but less walking characters in this one please ..
For heaven's sake let's not turn it over to Peter Jackson! The original novel was a clear two part story. Jackson could spin it out to five or six boring movies without a thought.

I watched the Point Break remake last week. Despite the constant stunts it was quite dull and there was no chemistry between the characters.

The Beast was Jaws but with a giant squid. Which swam backwards. And at one point jumps out of the water to ring the bell on a buouy, because something. I don't recall making it to the end.

I thought it was a shark/human hybrid? Or was that (Benchley's) Creature?

Why, why, why?

Back