• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Predictions for 2006

LeapingEri said:
Ugh, I hope Coleman's wrong. :(

I certainly hope that I didn't leave the wildly and totally erroneous impression that Coleman sees anything positive about school violence. I'm certain that Loren would also like to be wrong about this.

What Coieman seems to be attempting is to make projectionsd of this sort the social sciences equivalent of seismological predictions. But the fact a seismologist predicts earthquakes doesn't mean that he (she) is in favor of 'em!

He must be considering the fact that one of those days is Friday, October 13th.

I think the major element here is that Coleman's statistical analyses indicate that school shootings most commonly fall on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Also, the period October 11-13, 2006, is the lead-up period to the one month anniversary of the deaths at Dawson College, Montreal, Canada (September 14, 2006)

Oops! I didn't mean to imply that I thought there was anything wrong with what Coleman is doing, just that I don't want to see another school shooting anytime soon (or ever, if I could have my way). I can see that his analysis might be helpful in preventing or at least discovering plots to cause violence in schools.

LeapingEri said:
I don't want to see another school shooting anytime soon (or ever, if I could have my way).

As recently as two months ago I was trimming up and editing my "School Shootings" files and I realized that there hadn't been any episodes in quite some time and that in fact crimes/tragedies of this sort seemed to have peaked with Columbine, seven years ago. (Yes, I realize that there have been later cases, but they seemed somewhat isolated in comparison.)

Back to the drawing board.

OldTimeRadio said: As recently as two months ago I was trimming up and editing my "School Shootings" files

You have a school shootings file? Should we all be afraid, very afraid? :twisted: Or just the people who live in your town?

Don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but it has been noted before, in one of the 90's waves, that the shooters seem to target girls. This certainly seems to be the case in recent events.

illuminati37411 said:
You have a school shootings file? Should we all be afraid, very afraid? :twisted: Or just the people who live in your town?

Yes, you should all be afraid, very afraid. But NOT of ME.

I've reached age 65 without any police record of any kind.

Now that means that I am either demoniacally brilliant or dismally dull.

Alas, it is the latter.

On October 16, 2006, in a episode which didn't make the national news, a veteran Cincinnati firefighter was shot outside the Vine Street School in the Over-the-Rhine district north of downtown. This is only six or seven blocks south of my immediate neighborhood, but straight down the steepest hill in the city.

His injuries were apparently non-life-threatening, but local media reporters claimed that his hospital room was under the tightest police security they'd ever seen.

Edit: Let me make clear that this post isn't off-topic but instead relates to Loren Coleman's prediction period (cited above), which had ended just three days earleir.

illuminati wrote:
Don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but it has been noted before, in one of the 90's waves, that the shooters seem to target girls. This certainly seems to be the case in recent events.

Someone has: Bob Herbert of the New York Times. Oct 16, 2006:
In the widespread coverage that followed these crimes, very little was made of the fact that only girls were targeted. Imagine if a gunman had gone into a school, separated the kids up on the basis of race or religion, and then shot only the black kids. Or only the white kids. Or only the Jews.

There would have been thunderous outrage. The country would have first recoiled in horror, and then mobilized in an effort to eradicate that kind of murderous bigotry. There would have been calls for action and reflection. And the attack would have been seen for what it really was: a hate crime.

None of that occurred because these were just girls, and we have become so accustomed to living in a society saturated with misogyny that violence against females is more or less to be expected. Stories about the rape, murder and mutilation of women and girls are staples of the news, as familiar to us as weather forecasts. The startling aspect of the Pennsylvania attack was that this terrible thing happened at a school in Amish country, not that it happened to girls.
(source: http://select.nytimes.com/2006/10/16/op ... html?n=Top%2
fOpinion%2fEditorials%20and%20Op%2dEd%2fOp%2dEd%2fColumnists
%2fBob%20Herbert)

I don't know. Can you legitimately extrapolate all that out of two crimes, both atrociouis but one clearly a me-too copycat of the other?

Two is a straight line, not an intricate embroidery pattern.

A late prediction for 2006, but I'm sure it will carry over into 2007:
This is for us Americans.....

I predict more corruption, continued waste of the taxpayers money, and the election of sleazy arrogant politicians to Congress and the White House, no matter the party.

:x

I predict that the Republican losses in both Congress and state legislatures, as well as in governorships, will be markedly less than previously estimated.

This isn't based on any particular partisan agenda, but rather on a gut feeling that the Democrats peaked way too early.

2007?

Since the date is now November 3, should we be starting the predictions for 2007 thread?

:?:

Re: 2007?

ElishevaBarsabe said:
Since the date is now November 3, should we be starting the predictions for 2007 thread? :?:

Elisheva, I've just started it, giving you credit for the idea.

Even though it was my idea months ago :roll:

Still, you're right to start a new one the day after my birthday ;)

You're Right!

Slejpner said:
Even though it was my idea months ago :roll:

You certainly did suggest this, on September 13, 2006, and I even made a smart-alecky reply to your post a day or so later.

Sorry!

If you should come across my errant memory, say 'Hello' to it and try to shoo it back home again, jiggity-jog, jiggity-jog..

chriswsm said:
Chriswsm’s Predictions for 2006

Food scare involving ‘ready meals’.

Left this one a bit late in the year didnt they?

Still it is another hit :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6180743.stm

Last Updated: Thursday, 14 December 2006, 16:47 GMT

Ready meals in glass scare recall

Major supermarkets are withdrawing thousands of ready meals following concerns they contain glass fragments.
The Food Standards Agency put out an alert on its website listing the 28 Asda, Sainsbury's and Birds Eye rice-based products concerned.

I have checked and none of the ready meals I buy from Asda (Balti and Jalfrazi) are listed 8)

USA will be hit by terrorism
France will be hit by terrorism
UK will be hit by terrorism
Spain will be hit by terrorism

I got one of them. Spain. 1 out of 4 Hmph! :?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mi ... 219019.stm

Car bomb blast at Madrid airport

Saturday, 30 December 2006, 13:09 GMT

The government says Eta has ended the ceasefire
A car bomb has exploded in the car park of Madrid's Barajas Airport, injuring at least four people.
Two police officers who were examining the vehicle parked close to terminal four were among those injured.

The government said Basque separatist group Eta had carried out the attack - ending a ceasefire declared in March.

The Eta ceasefire came after four decades of violence aimed at creating an independent Basque state in the north of the country.

Saturday's blast sent a plume of dark smoke high into the skies.

Flights in and out of terminal four have been halted, and there is chaos at the other three terminals, officials say.

Tony Blair will remain as PM throughout this year. He will plan his departure for 2007.

Have to admit spot on with that one although it took him until recently to say so.

Back