• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Predictions for 2007

There will be a major terrorist attack with a biological weapon (there, someone had to say it)

An increasing number of internet sites will be closed down by Western governments as they try to deprive the populace of an all-too powerful weapon

The BNP will win two by-elections for UK Parliament

2007: Pressure will start growing for a new and independent Inquiry into 9/11.

Various kinds of obstacles, filibustering and back-peddling will cause more and more commentators to make comparisons with the Starr inquiry and the Clinton Scandals.

Someone will die, unnecessarily, on a Reality TV programme. Viewing figures will be boosted as outrage grows loud, but ineffectual.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Someone will die, unnecessarily, on a Reality TV programme. Viewing figures will be boosted as outrage grows loud, but ineffectual.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened already.

Letterheads

I predict that by late 2007 we'll open a letter from the local handware store or garden shop and see MOVING images on the letterhead. A cartoon figure cutting grass or sawing/hammering lumber or so on.

Activated by either natural or artificial light.

The BNP will become increasingly popular. Race riots will be frequent.

There will be some scandal involving Ant and Dec that shocks everyone (!)

Paul McCartney will suffer severe ill health.

Paul McCartney will suffer severe ill health.

Naw...he'll just end up with a lot less money after Heather is done with him.

;)

My crystal ball says 2007 will see...

Lots and lots of rain.

A revelation to do with the Christian or Catholic religion. Scrolls, archeological evidence, etc. 25,000 documentaries are made on the matter and shown round the clock on UKTV History. The church keeps schtum.

Medical advances in prosthetics continue apace. Touch sensitive and fully thought-controlled limbs built by October. A huge step towards artificial sight is made.

Girls Aloud split.

New laws are passed in the UK concerning the internet that makes it very awkward for a lot of people.

The American miliatary shocks everyone by including cutting-edge, clean energy sources in new craft.

Holographic TV and free-floating holograms suddenly arrive. "Electronic Paper" displays finally grow up and get a decent refresh rate.

A terrorist attack rocks a European country... Italy or France??

A scandal erupts in the UK about a corrupt prison. A volcano erupts in the pacific creating a new island, to be named after the person who predicted it.

A murder is commited in the US after online altercations in an MMORPG online game.

A famous actor or actress is to be brought back from the dead in a feature film using CGI. The reconstructed actor will appear in full length shots with the living cast.

Tha Raelians or someone claim the first pregnant man.

There's a record low for reports of UFOs and alien acivities since the 50s. Fairies, Spirits and little people make a comeback.

New Bogus-caller epidemic in Northern England/Scotland

Mattattattatt said:
A volcano erupts in the pacific creating a new island, to be named after the person who predicted it.

Just read the story about this on the front page... I'd not read it before posting but had presumably seen it, my subconcious remembered it and then it popped into my head when writing my list.

Oddness...

Mattattattatt said:
A revelation to do with the Christian or Catholic religion. Scrolls, archeological evidence, etc. 25,000 documentaries are made on the matter and shown round the clock on UKTV History. The church keeps schtum.

Business as usual then....

... Although, personally I would expect the church (either, any or all), to twist the ground breaking revelation into something that still conforms to their dogma... something less revelation like...

Mattattattatt said:
A revelation to do with the Christian or Catholic religion.

Some would claim that the two are not neccessarily apples and oranges.

A volcano erupts in the pacific creating a new island, to be named after the person who predicted it.

Now, Johnny, can you spell Mattattattatt Island?

When we visit the hotel, will we get a special rate if we say we know you?

Though the hotel may have to wait if the island's already occupied by Cthulhu.

A famous actor or actress is to be brought back from the dead in a feature film using CGI. The reconstructed actor will appear in full length shots with the living cast.

The first film so made will star Humphrey Bogart. But another use of the process could have Walt Disney television programs once again hosted by Walt Disney.

Tha Raelians or someone claim the first pregnant man.

Rael himself?

OldTimeRadio said:
But another use of the process could have Walt Disney television programs once again hosted by Walt Disney.

Alternatively, they could figure out a way to defrost him

(I know it's a UL ;) )

Aww, but I always loved the slight irony of the concept of Disney being in suspended animation.

Last evening I dreamed that I tuned into this 2007 news report:

"A top NASA spokesman, one of the world's leading exo-biologists, announced today that life exists on every planet and almost as certainly on every moon in the Solar System. Life is endemic to this Solar System, in all its nooks and crannies. And that includes boiling-hot Mercury and Venus as well as the furthermost freezing reaches of the Kuiper Belt."

This refers to microbial life, not to advanced life-forms.

I've long thought microbial life may end up being common in the universe...

Actually, I dreampt the other night about a small asteroid hitting a town in the UK, causing a small mushroom cloud and destroying a chunk or somewhere beginning with "W"... Can't remember the name tho :(

Wolverhampton?
Wilmslow?
Winchester?
Wellingborough?

The nearest 'W' place to me is called Willington.
Let us know if you remember.

I've got Walsall, Willenhall, Wednesbury, Wolverhampton, West Bromwich all within 10 or so miles of me, so I'll watch the skies in 2007. Can't say I'd particularly miss a sizeable chunk of any of them, though...

Mattattattatt said:
I've long thought microbial life may end up being common in the universe...

Actually, I dreampt the other night about a small asteroid hitting a town in the UK, causing a small mushroom cloud and destroying a chunk or somewhere beginning with "W"... Can't remember the name tho :(
I'm originally from Warrington, most of my family's still there!

I predict Saddam Hussein will be found dead in his cell, supposedly from natural causes (stroke / heart attack). That he died naturally won't be accepted and there will be competing theories about his death;

1. The Americans killed him, as it looked like his death sentence would be commuted.

2. He killed himself, as it looked like the death sentence would be carried out.

3. His supporters killed him, to make it appear he could choose his own time to die rather than die at a time appointed by his enemies.

filcee said:
I predict Saddam Hussein will be found dead in his cell, supposedly from natural causes (stroke / heart attack).

While I think it's hands-down obvious that Saddam Hussein deserves the death penalty, I believe he should be granted his request of a firing squad over hanging. The guy's going to be just as dead.

I predict that armed Iraqi opposition forces will make a serious military effort to free Saddam Hussein before his execution and move him again into hiding, perhaps in Syria....or even North Korea. This is not because they have any special love for the man, so much as to embarrass both the Iraqi government and the United States. But I also predict that the effort will fail.

Please note that this does not neccessarily conflict with Filcee's prediction.

There will be mass famine in southern Sudan (but you won't hear about it on any news channel)

People will get bored of sudoku

OldTimeRadio said:
Mr_Nemo said:
There will be arguments about Mercury, whether it is a planet or an large planetoid. (And new rules drawn up, to define the minimum size of any Exo-solar planets found, eg Earth size).

But both Venus and Mars are smaller than Earth.

I know...that's why I said "Exo-solar planets" ;) :D

------

The Armed Forces will refuse to continue with Blair's plan/s in the Middle East.

Electronic voting will become compulsionary after next election.

The Queen will try to take back royal powers from Parliament.

A BBC reporter/correspondent will be charged with treason/terrorism on the flimsiest evidence.

There will be the beginings of a power struggle between the Royal Family/Church/Parliament.

A new feudal system will start to emerge as big mutli-national companies buy up counties debts in-exchange for the use of the residents as a cheap labour force.

The Armed Forces will be used to quell protests.

(Neo-)Puritism will make a comeback.

The media will become state-owned.

Large cash rewards will become the norm, for informing on alleged terrorists.

Only the rich will be able to travel aboard.

"Work for food" programmes, will become the norm.

Blair will not leave office and declares himself the "True Cesear" of the UK.

[edit]A tsunami will strike the west coast of Ireland and the UK.[/edit]

Or the same old crap will happen as usual, so no change there :roll:

I think we'll all live happily ever after. Following that, I dunno.

Mr_Nemo said:

Sorry - you have to undedrstand that I view these boards with blurred vision, even at 150% magnification.

OldTimeRadio said:
Mr_Nemo said:

Sorry - you have to undedrstand that I view these boards with blurred vision, even at 150% magnification.

Ahh..sorry :oops:

OldTimeRadio said:
Mr_Nemo said:

I view the boards SPECLESS!!

My specs are bifocal - without 'em, I can see sweet FA over about 5 feet away, or less than 2 feet away, but the monitor is RIGHT IN THE (no specs) SWEET SPOT!! :lol:

(But my sight's degenerating - isn't getting older wonderful? :roll: - erm, Rynner? Your area of expertise?)

I also view the boards specless. According to oculists, most individuals with myopia do that - read with their glasses off, whether what they are reading be book, newspaper/magazine or computer screen.

Back