• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Premonitions Of Death

A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever had any kind of premonition? Or a heightened sense of forboding before an unpleasant event?

I remember when I was 6 years old the phone ringing and my mum immediately saying to the caller, "oh, he hasn't", and my first thought was, "Grandad's dead". When she hung up she repeated what I already knew and my sister couldn't understand why I wasn't crying like she was, I told her it was because I already knew.
I have to say I was rather a morbid child though!

Recently my boyfriend's grandfather passed away, after having been ill. The weekend before it happened there was some debate about whether he should go to visdit him or wait for the following weekend.
I just had this really strong feeling that, even though he seemed much better and was in very good spirits, he was going to die during the week, and that this would be the last chance for my chap to see him. How can you tell someone that though? "By the way, your grandad, even though he seems much better, he's going to be dead by next weekend?" It was a bit tricky. I managed to convince him though and he was really glad that he went, because his grandad very sadly died the following Friday, early morning.

I'd love to hear from other people on this one.

Welcome, Lusitania!

Yes, I had that experience when my father died. He'd been ill for several years with emphysema; me and my family were on our way back from Disneyland Paris with our friend's family, and while we were in the Channel Tunnel, I became more and more determined that I wanted to drop in and see my Dad on our way back to Cambridge (my parents lived in Kent, and we were going to be virtually driving past their house). It wasn't a simple arrangement to make; due to our travelling arrangements, we were all going to have to stop, including our friends, and as we didn't possess a mobile, I had to borrow one from my friend to call my Mum and warn her that 8 people were about to descend on her and Dad. But I doggedly sorted it all out, and we all stopped off for a cup of tea. Dad didn't look noticably worse thanm the last time I'd seen him, two days later I had a call from Mum to tell me he was dead.

I can still remember how determined I was to see him; there was no sense of foreboding or anything, I just knew I wanted to stop.

I also get this to a degree, although I don't like to think about it too much, as it freaks me out a bit.

When I was 17, my grandfather (to whom I had been very close) was in a hospice, in the last throes of terminal lung cancer, and my grandmother was staying with my parents and me. We all knew the end was coming.

One evening there was a lot of tension in the house, for no apparent reason; I felt what I can only describe as "out of sorts" all evening. While washing up the dinner things, my mother and grandmother started to argue about nothing and within minutes this escalated to a full-on screaming fight, at the climax of which the clock struck ten pm, and I just thought "my grandfather's dead". Ten minutes later the hospice called to confirm this. My mother and grandmother have never argued this way before or since.

Last year my best and oldest friend died very suddenly and unexpectedly (we're all only 29, and healthy). The news of course came as a huge shock, but for two weeks before I had had a terribly ominous feeling about him, and had felt very sad, and had begged him to "take care" of himself every time we'd spoken.

I don't think it's just a death thing, though... maybe it's a sense for people being in trouble. I have another friend for whom I was inexplicably worried in a similar way; she's still with us, fortunately, and the feeling is gone, now... but at the time (unknown to me) she was going through some real problems and was going out drinking a lot (again, uncharacteristically for her) and had narrowly escaped a date rape.

Sorry for the essay. I guess this is the first time I've really explored this in my own mind.

Do preminitions of your own death count?

I know technically I can't say whether or not it will happen(yet) but when I was 16, for about 9 months, I had repetitive dreams where I was told, by a women floating above my bed, that I would die on the 21st of august 2022, I know you're now thinking too many bad mushrooms before bed time which is what I thought later on but at the time it scared me enough to tell close friends and write the date down in my diary.

For years the date was completely insignificant to me and seemed like a random date picked out of my head untill my youngest daughter was born on 21st of August 2001 making the date I had written down her twenty first birthday.

I know this might be a bit out of context to the rest of this thread but I thought it might be of some intrest to some one.

Death premonition

Years ago I had a much loved black cat. Then a stray ginger appeared in our garden, and after failed attempts to find it a home, we decided to keep it. I remember doing the food shopping on the Monday, buying double the catfood, and an"inner voice" said "you don`t need to be doing that".

Sadly, the black cat was knocked by a car the next day, and died under operation at the vets.

Sorry to be so gloomy, but it was avery real premonition.

MsT

ref premonitions of your own death.

I have long since had a feeling that i will die following an impact injury to the left side of my face. Could be a car or a fall, don't know but i feel it very keenly....

This isn't a premontion of death, but I do remember my last death. I have dreamed about it since I was about 5 years old:

It was the late 50's in a small town in Kentucky and I was about 13 or 14 years old. There was tornado and my mother and my two sisters (one might have been a cousin) were in the storm cellar with an oil lamp. The cellar had a dirt floor and a very low ceiling (you had to walk bent over) and there were water pipes overhead.

I remember the cellar door being sucked off and then feeling my body start to leave the floor. I was screaming but I couldn't hear myself over the wind. We were all holding on to the water pipes and I held on as long as I could, but the suction was just too strong and I was sucked out the doorway.

The dream usually ended there - but the last time I had the dream at around age 14 as I was sucked out the door I felt the pain of hitting and scraping against the doorway. Then there was this undescribable noise and everything went white and I felt my consciouness fading away until "I" disappeared - at which point I awoke gasping for breath. It was the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced. I never had the dream again.

One time when I was around 5 or 6 and taking a trip with relatives I believe we drove through that small town where I lived in that last life. Everything was so familiar and I felt so happy/sad to be back there. When we passed this large white house I started jumping up and down and exclaimed excitedly to everyone that there was "my house" and begged them to stop so I could go in. Of course they told me I was silly and wouldn't stop. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the town so I can't go back.

my son's dream

I know this is not strictly a premonition of death of one person but i thought i would include it all the same.

In august 31st of 2001 i got married. In the run up to the wedding, things were hectic ,lots to do, etc. About a week before my wedding ,my 5 year old son woke up screaming in the night. It took my partner and i ages to calm him down and eventually he told us of his bad dream. He told us he had been stuck on a beach with water at his back and tall buildings in front of him. Then a "big, whirly thing" was coming at him from the sea and when he turned to run , lots of "silver things" were falling from the sky and crashing into the buildings. He said he could smell the burning and could hear people screaming from the buildings and he couldn't do anything as he was stuck between the two.
Eventually he went back to sleep.A few days later i was watching a programme about tornado's and he started leaping up and down saying that was the "whirly" thing in his dreams except his was on water, not land.

Our wedding day came and went and 3 days later my new husband and i flew to turkey leaving my son with my parents. Four days after this my parents flew to Florida taking my son and nephew with them to see Micky Mouse and all the touristy things over there.

We got back from Turkey after a week and decided to go shopping to get things for the house with the wedding money. As we were walking around Makro, we noticed pictures of a burning building on the tv's around the shop. It was september the 11th.

We spent the rest of the day trying to get in touch with my folks but they were all ok.Over the next day or two there was a hurricane off the coast of Florida so the weather was terrible where they were but no real danger to them.

We were worried sick for the next 9 days until my family returned home safe and sound.

Once my son was settled into routine again, we wondered about his dream. Coincidence?? I dont know. All else i'll say is how else would a 5 year old describe a hurricane or plane crashes when he'd never seen anything like it before, either in life or on tv?

My mum has had several 'death' premonitions over the years involving either family or things we then hear about on the news. The first one for her was her mother's death. She saw herself at a funeral with coffin floating over her head and on waking was convinced it was telling her she was going to die. Later we got a phonecall to say her mum had died (unexpectedly).

Others have involved a poor woman in a prison (in the UK) being knifed to death-she dreamt she was the victim-and later that day it was on the news. Another was a plane crash; she saw part of the plane with 'Air Ind' and assumed it was Air India when she told us. Later found out that it was 'Air Indonesia'.

My older sister also has had 'death premonitions', although this happened when she was at school and never since. She looked at a girl and the words "that girl has the face of death upon her" came into her mind-almost like someone was telling her. She was run over a week later and killed. My sister is thankful that it never happened again since, as she was quite disturbed by it.

I have had a few but not always to do with death; I lost touch with my old best friend from school and I dreamt that I had met her with a baby girl in her arms. I woke up knowing that she had had a baby and when she phoned (out of the blue-she tried my old work number on the off-chance) she was suprised to find out that I already knew that she'd had a baby and it was a girl!

Elle said:
Another was a plane crash; she saw part of the plane with 'Air Ind' and assumed it was Air India when she told us. Later found out that it was 'Air Indonesia'.
With respect, are you sure there is such an airline as "Air Indonesia"?

thermidor said:
With respect, are you sure there is such an airline as "Air Indonesia"?

You're quite right, I checked my version of events with my parents, and I am wrong. It was an Indonesian airline, although not 'Air Indonesia' as I originally stated.

Pardon my slip up, it wasn't my intention to mislead.

My compliments to Thermidor and Elle, for a courteous enquiry and a gracious correction. Well done. :)

My wife has these premonitions.

For weeks before Sept. 11, 2001 she had "a terrible feeling" that would not go away. She couldn't sleep and kept calling family members constantly to check up on them.

The night her mother died, my wife freaked out and started crying. She wanted to rush to the hospital where her mother was in a coma and check on her. Because it was 1 in the morning, I convinced her to just call and check. The nurses said her mother was fine. The next morning she was dead.

A few months ago, my wife got the feeling again. A day or so later, we found out a friend of ours, a Marine, was killed in Iraq.

She hates getting the feeling. She knows it means something terrible is going to happen, but does not know to who or when. So she can't do anything to try to prevent it. It leaves her in a helpless fear.

With referance to the whole terrible feeling thing, I got this for a prolonged period in my life, and became convinced I was soon going to die; and that I would deserve it. This sense of forboding would not leave me alone and confused and concerned my best friend who I explained this to, just incase. Eventualy things happened in my head and it felt very much like an old me had died, rather than, it seemed, a literal and more morbid death.
Much to my relief I guess. Though that was the other thing, after a certain time I grew to accept what felt like my fate, I was sad but comforted by it......?

I've suffered from quite a lot of death premonitions...

The first was when I was about 7 or 8 years old. My grandparents on my mother's side had a border collie dog named Benji. When we visited, before we left I'd always give Benji a fuss to say goodbye. One day, as I went to stroke him goodbye, I was suddenly hit with this awful feeling, and the words "I'm not going to see him alive again" came into my head. I gave him an extra large fuss before we left. A few days later he was dead- that was the last time I saw him alive.

The second was with my great uncle. He and my great aunt would often call round my grandma's (dad's side) while I was there. My uncle had to go into hospital the following day for I think a minor operation. As I bent down to kiss him goodbye when I left, I got the same awful feeling and "I'm not going to see him alive again" ran through my head again. Several days later I heard he had died in hospital- once again that was the last time I had seen him alive.

Another time happened when I was around 14-15. My own dog was suffering from arthritis and was having a bad spell. As I started walking out the door to go to school, I turned round and looked at him- I really can't describe it, but there was something in his eyes that made me realise that he would be dead before the day was out. When I returned from school my mother said he had been put down.

The last time it has happened was sometime last year. My grandad had been in hospital for a while. I came back from my high school and, as I was about to open the door, I suddenly thought "My grandad is dead." When I walked in my mother told me my grandad had died earlier on.

Of course, all this has me living in dread when I say goodbye to people, in case I get that feeling again =/

I don't know if this counts, but....

My father was 75, in hospital, fairly routine, we thought. We went to see him in the usual way, everything fine as usual, him being a man of immense calm and good humour, absolutely unshakeable (he fought with the Guards in Italy in WW2).

We started to leave, and I was last out of the ward door. I turned back as usual to wave but couldn't, just stared. he was looking at me so intently, like he never had before; he looked apprehensive, maybe scared, an expression I had NEVER seen on his face before - I almost went back in to ask what was wrong, but didn't, and then I turned away.

I should have gone back - as you may have guessed, that was the last time I saw him alive - he died of a heart attack the next night in his sleep. This was a complete surprise to the doctors and ward staff, all of whom were expecting him to be out in a few days.

Did he know/guess and was trying to tell me? If I'd have gone back I'm sure he wouldn't have said anything, but maybe just a few more seconds of time..... :cry:

That was a very difficult post to write, but maybe for the best...

From a review of this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bomber-Boys-Fig ... 0007189869

In the air, death was often instantaneous and its spirit was all around the airfields back in England. To the airmen it was the Grim Reaper and they sensed when his bony fingers had brushed one of their number.

Brian Frow, a pilot with 61 Squadron who had initially trained at Babbacombe, Torquay, recorded that when waiting on long winter nights in the ante-room for ops to begin, he came to recognise "the chop look".

He wrote: "It was a very real feature and whether it was true or not we believed it. Some aircrew would spend time playing snooker, cards or reading. A few just sat and pretended to doze, but sometimes their faces lost colour and they would nervously flex their muscles. If approached they would talk in raised voices and they invariably missed the 'aircrew supper' of eggs, bacon and beans.

"They could be seen visiting the lavatories too often and a few would sit outside the telephone call box trying to get through to their friends or relations, but forgetting that all 'off station' calls were banned during alerts, and that the phones were cut off.

"These were some of the symptoms of the 'chop look'. We believed that anyone who had it was aware that he was near to death; he seemed to have been informed by some extraterrestrial power, be it God or intuition."

Frow noticed it in his friend "Shack" Shackleton who, like him, was just 19 years old.

"He had gone through training with aplomb and was a popular and lively figure," wrote Frow.

"One night... we had received a postponement of take-off and were sitting around in the mess waiting. I saw to my horror that Shack had the dreaded symptoms, but I was unable to comfort him. By now we had completed four successful operations without serious incidents so Shack had no specific reason to be suffering from nerves."

At 8pm operations were scrubbed and Frow and Shack relaxed. But two days later Shackleton was assigned to an attack on the German battle cruiser Scharnhorst in Brest docks and failed to return.

I once had a very real sense of foreboding.
I was doing a convoy out of Kirkut, and my driver put the radio on, and the Koran was being prayed on the radio.
As it was the only thing on, I left it to play for a while until I got a very oppresive sense that we would be hit soon.
As we drove down the road, another team from another company over took us, and I said to the team leader 'they will take the hit for us", and as soon as the last word left my mouth, they pulled down a side street and left us to carry on down the road alone, until about ten minutes later we were hit by an IED in the middle of the town (luckily we had no injuries).

I tend now to let my gut feelings over rule what others may say.

About 20 years ago, I was driving my then girlfriend on a routine trip in our local area. The day, the voyage, our mood were all unremarkable.

Suddenly, with no noticeable onset period, I was hit with the most intense feeling of imminent doom. I can still visualise exactly where we were on a small road in north Essex.

I remember that the feeling that I was about to die was so intense that I turned to my girlfriend and blurted loudly, "I love you!", believing that those were going to be the last words I ever spoke.

I was aware at the time that one of the symptoms of a ruptured aortic aneurysm was a feeling of panic. At the moment of my "attack", I believed that that was the medical emergency I was suffering, and that I was going to die. (It should be noted that I was - and am - in perfect health, and I'm definitely not a hypochondriac).

The surge of fear passed almost as rapidly as it had come on. It was - and remains - inexplicable to me.

Here's hoping that it was my last such episode...

maximus otter

Oh dear, I don't like that story one bit, cause I AM a hypochondriac!!!!
I also suffert from panic attacks before medication and they would have been worse if I'd known about this.

However I think on a realistic side that there would be also other symptoms along with a panic if you had an aortic aneurism [at least I hope so :( ].

Dunno if I wrote about this already but I used to have strong fears out of the blue due to chemical imbalances but one was outstanding. I walked along our hallway when suddenly this feeling of doom came over me and I started worrying about my dad so badly it made me shake and sweat. It took a while to calm down and I did all sorts of anti-spells in my head to neutralize this worry [used to do that a lot in those days...]. Anyway the strange thing is that up to that point I had worried about my mum and my husband and myself a lot but never about my dad [as he was a very strong healthy person]. This made me even worse.

The thing is the next weekend he had a massive stroke and I'd missed out speaking to him beforehand. Made it to Germany to say my bye-byes and then he died.

So I still don't know if I just had a really bad "hunch" that there was something wrong with my dad or if it was a premonition. Me personally I'll go with the former as a) I never have premonition but have "visions" of things that are happen at the moment somewhere else and b) it would make far more sense.

Also its strange that this thread is up at the moment as I've just called my mum and she told me about her dream about her grand dad when she was little. She dreamed that he was jumping around on their sofa [something he would have never allowed], shouting and pointing: "There they come to get me". When she looked, a bunch of hooded, dark figures where on their way to the house.

A couple of days later her grand dad died suddenly!!!

Now THAT's a premonition if you ask me [unless of course she also "felt" that he wasn't quite himself]. Still, gives me the creeps.

Back in 1997 I had the worst nightmare I have ever had. For the first (and only) time in my life I woke up sweating and screaming. I dreamed I was at work which was in a newsagents and video store. I looked out the window and the sky was turning red, huge black clouds were drawing across the sky. I started to run around the shop gathering up the people and getting everyone to hide as best they could in the corners and behind the counter. A last look at the sky and I saw a huge bony hand reach down & grab around, as if to pluck someone out of existence!

For the next few days I couldn't look at the sky, in particular, we were driving where alot of sky is visible and I remember being so panicky and afraid to look up. That day my then boyf found out his best mate had died in an accident.

I hope I never have that dream again, it was bloody awful.

Gut feelings should always be listened to, I always know when something bad is going to hapen because I get butterflies low down in my stomach, they feel heavy. Butterflies high up mean something good. :D

One of the early posts on this MB was by a chap who reckoned that his little daughter was expecting 'the angel' to come for her, which he took as a premonition of death.

I can't find it now but I have seen it within the last year so it's still around. :shock:

My Grandmother told me that years and years ago she woke up in the middle of the night and heard her mother calling her name 3 times. She didn't live with her mother at the time and so thought she was dreaming. The next morning she found out her mother had died in the night.
My Grandmother, and my Mum are a bit creepy like that. Although, as far as I can remember that's the only death premonition they've had.

I had an odd experience with a girl I knew a long time before she actually died (very unexpectedly in her teens, but I don't wish to discuss the details because it was in the papers). I was quite annoying towards her, and always wanted to play although she didn't (she was a few years older than me).

What I found odd was that at the time, she was being a bit unkind and I was quite hurt and I kept thinking "Don't wish her dead."
I remember that feeling quite clearly, because I DIDN'T wish her dead at all, I remember saying to myself that she hadn't been all that nasty to me. Years later, I read that she'd died and felt creepy.

My mother died of cancer in April 2001. She was admitted to hospital at the start of March, and we had already been told that she would not see Easter. Two weekends in a row my family and I made the drive from Exeter to Leicester to see her. The second Sunday she seemed close to the end. I sat and held her hand until my dad arrived, and then we had to leave. My older sister rang me later and said that she didn't expect Mum to last the night.

Our alarm was always set to 6am, and it's not unusual for me to wake up a few minutes beforehand, but on the Monday morning, I suddenly found myself awake at 5.20am. I checked the clock and finding that it was too early, went back to sleep again. At 5.40am the phone rang, and that was my Dad telling us that Mum was gone. The curious thing is that the hospital phoned him at 5.20 to tell him she was very close, but he knew he wouldn'y get to Leicester from Lincolnshire in time. Did I tune in to my Dad's experience at that point?

The other slightly freaky thing is that my mother died on my wedding anniversary. My grandmother died on my birthday. I figure that all it takes is for someone to go at Christmas, and that's my special days each year totally ruined!

Here's more for the pot

I don't get that many premonitions but I did feel some sadness 'out of the blue' in the 2 years before my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I wondered why this was happening when, as far as I knew, everything was going fine.

Another thing that happened was my accidental prophesy of the death of Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India, 31 Oct. 1984. About 2 weeks before Gandhi's death, I tried to fool my mother by telling her that Mrs. Gandhi had been killed by an elephant. My mother thought that I was telling the truth, so I had to explain that it was a trick. I was pleased that I had come up with a believable story. It was very surprising to hear later on that she had, in fact, been killed, but by her own guards rather than a rogue pachyderm!

My own experience was dreaming of my push bike accident several months before it happened, and i also have an bedded dream from my child hood of falling from a building, which has never gone away from me. I dont wish to find that one out :D
I also remember saying to my father before 7pm on December 21 1988 "tonights a very sad night" (thats when Pan Am Flight 103 came down on Lockerbie).
He looked at me strangely, it WAS a weird thing to say, sometime later that news was announced. :cry:

There's something in this for sure, the brain is an incredible thing, so fascinating.

thepsychicpig said:
I also remember saying to my father before 7pm on December 21 1988 "tonights a very sad night" (thats when Pan Am Flight 103 came down on Lockerbie).
He looked at me strangely, it WAS a weird thing to say, sometime later that news was announced. :cry:

There's something in this for sure, the brain is an incredible thing, so fascinating.
I also posted something on the Lockerbie thread today.

Since that's not a very active thread, it's odd that L. now get two posts, on separate threads, on the same day.....

rynner said:
thepsychicpig said:

I also posted something on the Lockerbie thread today.

Since that's not a very active thread, it's odd that L. now get two posts, on separate threads, on the same day.....
That is strange, he's one for ya then, this link you posted in this post,
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 552#725552
is not far where I like to spend my free time, I was there this morning, and went through Cheddar to get there, (Burrington Combe is the place), which is in another news link on that BBC news page :D

i walked into my local after work, and ordered my usual tipple and when the glass was put infront of me it wsnt vodka but whisky, my grandads tipple!
so I ordered a vodka, drank the whisky to my grandad and expressed that I thought he may have passed away.
within minutes my dad was on the phone telling me grandad had passed away, the time coensiding with my orderring the wrong drink!
This sor of thing has happened to be alot, the most resent 15 sept. Somthing obvious about someone else will popinto my head and I just know!

Back