• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Prometheus

Nothing like Alien, then. Apart from all those Alienesque bits. Why was Ridders so keen to distance this from his 1979 classic when the trailer owes so much to it, title gradually appearing and all?

Bad, really really bad.

Why was Ridders so keen to distance this from his 1979 classic

Maybe because he thought he could make a decent picture worthy to be connected with the original but now finds himself chained to a formaliac turkey.

I think any hope that this may have been OK have been firmly quashed by this trailer. Plenty of explosions, crap re imagining of Giger's designs and characters that look they'd be more at home in a computer game.

People just aren't capable of making a film like the original anymore, maybe they will again but I doubt it. Unless of course they decide to ditch the CGI and slash the budgets to force them to use they're bloody imaginations again.

First they made alien herself look ridiculous now they're having a go at the space jockey. Bastards.

I'm still going to see it. Alien is one of my favourite sci-fi films, favourite horror films, and favourite films in general.

I'm trying to work out if my friend Jools has done this for fun or, as he is in the industry, has produced this for Prometheus. Either way...worth a share...

405895_10150683111550864_590365863_11376800_1637254006_n.jpg

Reactions: Doc
Seems to be a lot of speculation whether the "space jockey" from Alien is in this, which would make the links between that and Prometheus a lot more obvious than they were willing to let on. But this is the first Ridley Scott movie I've been interested in seeing for years, so...

I'm sorry but I'm really disappointed here. I've been waiting for this for ages because I thought there was a chance it'd be good, in the same way the first one was rather than utter, utter shite the way the sequels have been.

Looking at the trailers though it seems to me it's going to be about spectacle rather than atmosphere. I'm gutted but I'm sure a lot of people will like it, so fair enough.

I looked up "Prometheus" because I really couldn't remember the legend, other than I knew "Frankenstein" is subtitled "The Modern Prometheus"- and now I think I may have inadvertently spoilered myself. :x

CarlosTheDJ said:
I looked up "Prometheus" because I really couldn't remember the legend, other than I knew "Frankenstein" is subtitled "The Modern Prometheus"- and now I think I may have inadvertently spoilered myself. :x

Now change your underpants! :lol:

I'll wait for the film & make up my own mind.

John Carter got a lot of bad reviews but I really enjoyed it.

oldrover said:
Looking at the trailers though it seems to me it's going to be about spectacle rather than atmosphere. I'm gutted but I'm sure a lot of people will like it, so fair enough.

You could probably cut a trailer from the original Alien and make it look "all spectacle". I'm still hopeful there'll be plenty of atmosphere in this one!

I remember the original trailer, and to me that looked different. Although I see that's a different point to the one which you made.

I'm not going to keep on whinging about it though.

That was a good trailer! Chilling.

Lots of stuff on TV about this last night, if like me you were ever intrigued by the space jockey growing out of his chair, get ready for an anticlimax.

This is great. So far I've ignored all they hype, trailers and news about this movie. I even had to switch channels watching Homeland on C4 when they showed a trailer and the next commercial break which featured twitter comments from people who had watched the trailer. Which, I imagine, would be considered brilliant marketing if you're an easily-impressed media type but frankly, I'm going to ignore all the publicity, go to the cinema and watch the movie without exposure to the hype.

Believe me, it'll take a lot to make up for Robin Hood.

I didn't realise that it was an Alien movie, and thought it looked good. I am in two minds about seeing this, though.

Doctor Elizabeth Shaw, a tribute to a companion of a certain time-traveller?

I can see Noomi Rapace becoming something of a fan favourite....

This would be pretty freaky if you made the journey everyday and didn't expect it...

An abandoned French subway station was turned into the set of Prometheus

We now live in an era when gonzo viral marketing runs the risk of being more intriguing than the film it's designed to promote. In Paris, the Saint-Martin stop (which has been unused for 73 years) on the Metro's Line 9 was transformed into the extraterrestrial architecture of Prometheus, giving passengers a glimpse of Gigeresque Hell on their daily commute. I hope this set sticks around for years, an artifact of film promotions past, sort of like the Space Jam website.

Back