• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Quantum Physics

TinFinger

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
ok so this is in the wrong forum,possibly.

what if the world of Quantum physics is really looking at time itself?
not the partical/waves but the time they exsist in?

the essence or the uncertainty principal is time/position both a time issue
watching an experiment taints the outcome.

what if the odd behaviour is time effects not partical/wave/gravitific?

lots of questions i admit but just an interesting notion

Well, the 'spin' of an electron is basically a relativistic effect.

You are aware that quantum involves probabilites? That is to say, if one measures where an electron is (as considered as a particle) then one is acually measuring the probability of finding that particle at that particular point. Note: position is very much a particle property, whereas waves have momentum. However, there is no absolute truth at the quantum level :D

exactly both depend how they are measured

as i said time is the overideing constant as it dictates where anything is and also how fast its going

speed=distance over time

so if you were observing time itself

time=distance over speed

speed would equal distance as they depend on each other

this is why you cant measure them both

Okay, we're on relativity now - and also, we need to be talking about velocity rather than speed. Also, one must get in mind that the sub atomic world is very different from the macroverse we experience. Actually, what do you know about matrices? basically, as there are errors (probability) in knowing position and momentum that when one multiplies these factors you will always get a figure larger than hbar (plank's constant divided by 2 times pi )at a sub atomic level. Thus uncertainty.

the sub atomic world is very different from the macroverse we experience

yep because they are about the time they exsist in not the particals themselves

thats why the quantum world dosnt match the planetary systems we can observe

What is the world of quantum physics?

From what I can gather, it involves things smaller than electrons, protons and neutrons (I have heard the terms 'quarks and quorons' used).

A docu on tv I saw years ago seemed to say that it involves shooting a quark or something through what appears to be a bit of tubing glued to a bit of wood then announcing that the quark appeared in many places (possibly all at once or at least in many places very very quickly, so quickly as makes no odds) and then it appeared at the other end.

Years later they say that this means they can do quantum computing now.

There is also something to do with Schrodingers cat. I can tell you that I think it was in the box all the time and did not go anywhere.

The reason why I say this is because of another question some clever person asked.

They asked - if a tree falls down, and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

The answer, since we found that sound waves exist and did before we existed, is yes.

So I say the cat was in the box. Occams razor - I found out what it meant after a while of being too lazy to search.

Another thing about quantum physics is that apparently it is against the laws of physics.

I disagree with the laws of physics on the basis that they appear to have been created a century or more ago and are probably out of date.

My entire knowledge of quantum physics can be summed up by a physics lecturer's throw-away remark: "Weird things happen at a quantum level!"

30 years on, still not arguing... ;)

My son is a SLAC-er! :D

He is doing a PhD based at a Brit uni and SLAC, on particle physics.

*crouches down*

WHHOOOSSHHH!

There it goes, over my head. :roll:

He did explain what he was doing and it made sense, for about 5 minutes. :(

read somewhere that the nuber 42 is a coupling constant
iirc it to do with gravity, the orbit of earth around our sun and life not evolving in the manner it has if it were anything other

iirc 10 to the power 42 was the difrence between gravity and magnetism although im a bit fuzzy on the exact detais
read it in the daily mail about 1 year after the film was realeased the had a story asking douglas adams where he had got the figure from.

IIRC, Adams picked the number '42' out of thin air when he was writing the HHGTTG.

Jerry_B said:
IIRC, Adams picked the number '42' out of thin air when he was writing the HHGTTG.
Thin air, thick air, any kind of anything would contain 42
if the 'Forty-two'...link is right! 8)

Actually, as light can do all kinds of crazy things these days, has anything new been suggested as to the fact it acts as both a particle and a wave? Also does anyone know anything regarding the suggestion that the speed of light may have changed since the universe was created?

What? That the speed of light has been slowing down or something?

Ah - I remember reading something about this.

There is this big red wall around the universe and it looks the same on all sides, which has confused some folks who say that the wall should not be the same on all sides.

i read somewhere thats its possible to stop light
not sure how this would relate to the 10 to the power 0f 8 mps iirc

but as my original post imho its more to do with time
all the crazy stuff like oh the glass cat in the box iirc where it exsists in three states untill its observed
wouldnt this make more sense if the cat was thought of as not exsisting in any state as the time frame it exsists in hasnt happened yet?
all the odd stuff can be explained as we dont really understand time

TinFinger said:
all the odd stuff can be explained as we dont really understand time

Time IMO is a figment of our imagination.

We need to apply a perception to the sun going up and sun going down, to creatures moving, plants growing and dying, the changing of the seasons etc.

We made up time, IMO it does not exist except as a word to describe things moving and changing and us growing older etc - maybe inspired by our own internal body clock ticking away.

coldelephant said:
We made up time, IMO it does not exist except as a word to describe things moving and changing...
That's a pretty big 'except'!

It's bit like saying 'We made up air, it does not exist except as a word to describe the winds and breathing...'! ;)

Back