• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Reading In Dreams

Put this to the test last time I had a lucid dream.
In my dream I could read a pub name. I went in and went on the dream version of Wikipedia to look something up. I recall typing my search and the letters appearing in a large, gold gothic script. But I could definitely read in my dream.

I can read in dreams, but if I glance away the words have changed when I look back, or if I try to find something in a book that I've read before (in the dream) the words are different.

That's happened to me a few times, at which point I said to myself (in the dream), "That doesn't happen! I must be dreaming!" Closest I've come to lucid dreaming.

I sometimes read in dreams and create text.

I woke on Thursday morning having just drafted a dream paragraph along the lines of "common-law marriage lacks ceremony but entitlement is esablished by residency". (NO, ME NEITHER).

When I first read The Iliad I dreamt in rhyming couplets two nights in a row. That is very tiring.

I have very lucid dreams and I cannot read or even write properly in my dreams, I imagine it's a bit like having dyslexia, I 'know' how to read and write, but I just can't make sense of what I'm seeing or put things down in a sensible manner.

I also can't use a push button phone, for years it was a recurring nightmare where I would try phoning someone for help or to warn them of something, and one or more of the numbers wouldn't work or I just couldn't get the numbers in the right order.

It's not like I have prophetic dreams. Just the other day I was dreaming about a trip to an alternative universe but I'm not holding my breath on that one either.

Ah but how do you know you're not in an alternate universe? Little things could change, like... I don't know, a person's signature, anything really... :)

Zabs

Last edited:
I actually thought I'd posted the following story on a thread specifically about reading in dreams, but it's actually on the
Adventures In Sleep Paralysis, thread (#85):

...I’ve never really taken a whole lot of interest in dreams, maybe as mine generally seem to be - with some exceptions - rather uninteresting/unedifying.

Not so long back though, I had a couple of experiences that gave me pause for thought.

Last November, during a break at work, I was chatting to a colleague who mentioned that she was attempting to train herself to dream lucidly, and further into the chat also told me that she had been led to believe that it is not possible to read in dreams.

I didn’t think much about it at the time, and wasn’t aware of that I’d paid much attention. However, that night I had a vivid dream in which I was visiting my mum after a trip away. When I asked what she’d been up to, she replied that not much had happened, apart from the fact that she had single-handedly thwarted a terrorist attack (yes, I know – but it was a dream…and you haven’t met my mother) and if I didn’t believe her then I could read all about it in the paper.

Ah, okay, I know what this is about – said lucid-dreamer-me, in a kind of mental voiceover to the action involving the me in the dream - This bit’s important – concentrate! So, as she slides the paper across the table and points to the story, lucid-dreamer-me makes a concerted effort to see if I can actually read her name in the print. And I can – albeit in a slightly jumbled form...

Anyway, the reason I was hunting around for this subject this morning was that I had another reading session last night.

I was looking at a small poster sized image of a baby lying on a blanket on a table top, with a Mediterranean like vista in the background - complete with blue sea, blue sky and a couple of white gulls. I'd say the baby in the image was not box-fresh - maybe a few months old - but the poster was obviously something I'd received from an ex announcing the birth to her friends. (The only real dream-odd thing about the image was the fact that said baby was wearing bluetooth ear buds.)

Although I can no longer recall the actual sequence of words written on the bottom of the image, I can still actually see the child's name as written in that message - 'Febers'. Even within the dream, I thought this was a really strange name for a baby (it's clearly implied in the message that this is a Christian name).

Oddly, I had another name and reading related dream last week. This time I was looking for a book titled Locran. I had the word written down on a crumpled piece of white paper - someone who was helping me looked at it and suggested that the writer might have actually meant Lochran. In the dream, I had no concept of this word as a surname - that realisation only came on waking up and thinking about it.

Why two fairly uncommon surnames have lodged inside my imagination - to the extent of actually being written down in my dreams - I have no idea. I don't know anyone so called, and have no memory of reading anything containing those names - certainly not any time recently, at least.

As I've said before, my dreams tend to be a bit of a jumble - apparently meaningless, and soon forgotten - but occasionally words and phrases contained within those dreams will stick with me long after the surrounding context of the dream has dissolved into nothingness. ('Spanish Pass' would be a good example: I have absolutely no memory of the dream that contained those words any more, but the phrase 'Spanish Pass' - which I assume to be geographical in nature - has stuck with long since the dream it appeared in has faded away.)

Last edited:
It seems there are two areas of the brain that are part of the cognitive process for reading that are inactive during REM sleep, meaning that you can't actually read in dreams. When you see characters, you don't actually read them you just interpret, if comprehending at all.

There's a good run through of it here: "Can you read in your dreams? Science reveals why most people can't"

It leaves things open for pictographic or hieroglyphic languages, though.

I can read isolated words in dreams, but they don't join into a cohesive sentence (or very rarely). So there may be a single word which is comprehensible, and then some others which are also comprehensible but don't mean anything. I tend to think in words for the day job, so I guess this is what my brain is doing here, creating words rather than 'reading' them. So a typical dream sentence may run 'occlude yesterday blue'. It will mean something within the context of the dream but if I remember it when I wake up, it's total gibberish.

Just woke up from a dream in which I was reading words in the form of a list. My (late) mother was in the dream and was pregnant, and she was writing a list of names for the baby - I remember Pearl, Prudence and Ruth…. Thank goodness she didn’t lumber me with any of those!!
Back to sleep now, see if I can pick up where I left off

I read some text in a dream last night... something like a Wikipedia entry, the heading was clearly "atitoxic event". Of course, being a dream, as far as I know the word "atitoxic" doesn't exist, and in the dream I didn't bother to read the definition. Oh well, I'll never know what a word that doesn't exist means...

I have very lucid dreams and I cannot read or even write properly in my dreams, I imagine it's a bit like having dyslexia, I 'know' how to read and write, but I just can't make sense of what I'm seeing or put things down in a sensible manner.

I also can't use a push button phone, for years it was a recurring nightmare where I would try phoning someone for help or to warn them of something, and one or more of the numbers wouldn't work or I just couldn't get the numbers in the right order.
The phone thing happens to me there's buttons but no numbers and I have to press the buttons really hard and keep pressing the wrong ones

I read some text in a dream last night... something like a Wikipedia entry, the heading was clearly "atitoxic event". Of course, being a dream, as far as I know the word "atitoxic" doesn't exist, and in the dream I didn't bother to read the definition. Oh well, I'll never know what a word that doesn't exist means...
I'm sure it's perfectly cromulent.

Back