• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Remote Viewing Experiments (How To; Conducted Online)

With the Emps on that one - maintain a main line of stuff & play with sidelines.

I find the music/image/scent approach interesting because it is difficult...we'll have to put a lot of thought into how to make that one work.

Speaking of all of which, if we can have two more judges, we can move on the next run - any takers? :)

(if not in a telepathy way perhaps, e.g., I might be giving too harsh a guidance on marking slightly affecting how significant things are).

Just get rid of the marking - I feel like I'm harping on about it but I really can't see any good reason not to get rid of the judging and just have the receivers pick from a list. You can see an example of this over at the JREF board:

http://www.randi.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36757

You can see the results so far here:

http://clarion.no-ip.org/bookresults.htm

Interestingly Lucianarchy's the only one with a 100% hit record (he's only taken part in 1 out of 3 trials so far).

Yes, the receivers might guess by chance. But at least this way you know exactly what that chance is and can allow for it. Using their scores you can even work out how likely it is that they were doing something paranormal (given the usual assumptions that everyone's playing by the rules).

Otherwise all you have is a subjective conclusion as to whether or not something was a hit - and what use would that be, when you could have an objective result?

David

davidhorman: But we are having them pick one out of ten. I don't see it as an either/or thing.

Thanks for the links too. ;)

Emps

But we are having them pick one out of ten. I don't see it as an either/or thing.

I think I skipped or missed some posts somewhere. What were you referring to when you mentioned marking? Are the receivers picking from the ten, and also having their impressions idependently assessed?

David

davidhorman said:
Interestingly Lucianarchy's the only one with a 100% hit record (he's only taken part in 1 out of 3 trials so far).
David

DickK also has a 100% hit record, and he too has only done one trials out of three.

I hope Lucian keeps going. If he can keep up a decent success rate, I may have to eat my words!

davidhorman said:
I think I skipped or missed some posts somewhere. What were you referring to when you mentioned marking? Are the receivers picking from the ten, and also having their impressions idependently assessed?

Yes - its in the procedures - it goes a little something like this:

------------------
The receivers send in there final impressions.

They get sent off to the judges.

The receivers then get given the list of images and are asked to pick the closest to their impressions.

Judges scorings and the receiver's picks are sent to the overseer who tidies things up and posts the results.
-----------------

Adding the picture picking was DD's idea and was only incorporated in last time.

Emps

davidhorman: I have replied to you on this before:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=348528#post348528

if I wasn't clear there then let me know (we are still tweaking the procedures and esp. the wording). The results from the last run are here (scroll down to the bottom of my post for the picks):

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=346395#post346395

Its interesting to see no one got it right. Ersby didn't submit a pick but no this is more set in stone it shoul be interesting to have them throw in their pick too - it would be ironic if they scored higher than chance ;)

Emps

In addition to what Emps said above, we also want to see if folk can tell a cold reading from a genuine attempt.

The next run (which will kick off when we have two more judges) will end with visitors to the thread being invited to spot the fake....we are working on how to do this, and will unveil as and when we have it ;)

In the mean time - two more judges! Lurkers, I'm speaking to you :)

Ersby said:
I hope Lucian keeps going. If he can keep up a decent success rate, I may have to eat my words!

Well, he has not taken part in this round yet. Come on Lucianarchy! Don't leave us all guessing.

Well, I'm given to understand that as far as this board is now concerned, LA has gone up the Kirk & joined the choir invisible...

Bleedin' deceased. An ex-poster ;)

Ersby: Dunno - as far as I'm aware Alexius is still looking for volunteers for judging (that was the last I'd heard).

Emps

...and this evening he found the missing one :)

So, here is the plan - I will post a pm to the participants tonight and when we get the guys together, we'll be ready for the off.

Apologies for delay :)

Cool good stuff :)

The imporved procudre with the cold reader is that you send 3 impressions and a number from 1 to 10 to Alexius before I pick the images (so anytime now would be cool ;) ).

Emps

Alexius said:
Well, I'm given to understand that as far as this board is now concerned, LA has gone up the Kirk & joined the choir invisible...

Bleedin' deceased. An ex-poster ;)

That hasn't stopped him moving over to the JREF forum and claiming victory based on his single attempt.
:headbutt:

TheBoyPaj said:
That hasn't stopped him moving over to the JREF forum and claiming victory based on his single attempt.
:headbutt:
That's JREF Forum's problem then.

Takes it nicely back to the beginning, really.

It wasn't his/her claims, or any revelations of his/her amazing abilities that were too much for the FT MB. It was his/her dedication to 'flaming' that did for him/her, in the end.

As Andro said - LA was done for flaming and is now another board's problem.

As for LA's claiming that our tests are evidence of his paranormal ability - good luck to him. The material is all on thread, and folk can make up their own minds. If his claims are inflated, he will look foolish - nothing more.

I'm willing to play along

I think I'll give this a shot for the next round of tests.

I'd prefer to be a cold reader, meaning just guessing what the picture will be, instead of meditating over it. (Mostly because I don't think I have Telepathic/ Remote Viewing abilities)
If you need another viewer, I'll try, but won't promise results.
If you have enough viewers/cold readers, I'll be a judge.

Give me time if I'm a judge to read back through the thread and view judging guidelines.

It has been confirmed :)

I will be a viewer in the next round. I look forward to participating. :)

You certainly will & full details of the folk involved (if they can remember! it has been a while!) and procedures will be coming soon :)

OK it looks like we have the team and are ready to roll. I have the list of ten images and I now have the number selecting on of them. When I get ome in a bit I'll circulate the image to our sender and the judges and then get the ball rolling.

Emps

OK the image has been selected and sent to the sender (Quixote) and the 3 judges.

I assume Quixote will drop in and give some idea of the timing, etc. of the sending.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this ;)

Emps

viewers....Lillith, Tez, Ersby, Head'n'Space....Java, too, if she wishes....remember, when the ball starts to roll, post your impressions to me as soon as you can.

Judges - any problems, just pm Emps or meself for pastoral care.

Quixote - employ all means fair or foul to project that image across the aether ;)

Okay I shall be 'sending' twice a day and at a set time until I get further notice as to when the experiment is wrapped up.

10am and 10pm (G.M.T.), I should be able to spend between 20-30mins sending each time.

I can start tonight but am not sure all the recievers/viewers will see this beforehand, so will begin tomorrow, again at risk of repeating myself, at 10am (G.M.T.)

:)

Quixote said:
Okay I shall be 'sending' twice a day and at a set time until I get further notice as to when the experiment is wrapped up.

We'll run it for 3 days presumably from tomorrow and ending on Sunday.

Emps

nice ;)

so, we are jolly well off tomorrow morning at 10am gmt (chronometers and quadrants at the ready, those of you on different longitudes).

remember the procedure: viewers, pm me each day with your impressions.

judges: establish your grading scale (Emps can guide you) and pm your evaluations to Emps as soon as possible after the last viewing.

Also, judges - remember, I must not know anything about the image, so make sure you don't pm me anything by mistake ;)

Ok, viewing peeps: 8pm this evening is the deadline for your submissions.

Judges: now's the time to start reviewing the material at hand and formulating your evaluation.

Me, I'm off for a nice waterpipe ;)

OK that is nearly it -I'm consulting Alexius on a few details and then the impressions are of to the judges. The list of images is also off to the receivers to see if they can pick the right one.

So if everyone could stand by their beds we can start winding this up ;)

Emps

Righto impressions off to the judges and the image list is off to Alexius to circulate amonsgt the receivers.

Try and get things back as soon as pos.

Emps

Could people get their picks or judging in to me if they haven't done already?

Cheers.

Emps

Back