• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Romero's Dead Films

lennynero said:
I liked the title credit sequence set to Johnny Cash's The Man Comes Around. I also heard a muzak version of Disturbed's Down with the Sickness! Bring on the unrated dvd!

:cool:
they were good, although the inclusion of the Stereophonics was a bit annoying:hmph:
I want a copy of the Disturbed muzak version, and I want it now:)

I wouldn't have minded a bit less of the time and the mall and a bit more of the "people are turning into mad zombies" news reports though:eek:

Mr Snowman said:
It gets the thumnbs up from me! I particularly like the nihilistic conclusion (don'r leave before the credits end).

I'm glad I saw this post before I went!

as soon as the credits began rolling most of the audience legged it- I'd warned my friends to stay in their seats.

Have got to admit I really enjoyed the film- nothing like the original apart from the inclusion of the mall, but still enjoyable. Plus I didn't find it that gory, but I guess I must be desensitised. The Disturbed muzak was very funny, I shant listen to 'Down with the Sickness' in the same light again :D

One thing though- the zombies, what a rip-off of 28 Days Later!

Tom Savini's cameo was a waste of space, they could have given him something better, oh and Max Headroom's in it too.

Bring on Shaun of the Dead, that looks like it's going to be good.

MUZIK METAL VERSIONS.. YES PLEASE

Watched DOTD 2004 for the second time,already posted twice so won't harp on...but it is a very clever remake, a tour de force ,as reviewers often say, or visceral or something....so pleased even the broadsheets got it.

The soundtrack just has to be released, it really is awesome.
It so surprises me that you can't get it already

:blah: Down the Sickness muzak stylee I hope will kick start a new era of muzak metal ( Jamie Cullum, Kate Mellua et al please ignore)

Thought you might enjoy this little personal tale:

Article Last Updated: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 9:36:01 AM EST

A zombie among us

Local man recalls acting stint in Dawn of the Dead'

Local man recalls acting stint in Dawn of the Dead' By ERIN NEGLEY - Evening Sun Reporter

A terrified and impressionable young Jim Krut couldn't and wouldn't leave the theater when the credits of "The Thing" rolled across the theater screen.

Later he ran home six blocks, fleeing his memories of the film about a monster terrorizing the Arctic.

Little did Krut know his own 15 minutes of cinematic fame would come from 15 seconds in a horror film.

In the original "Dawn of the Dead," Krut portrayed "helicopter zombie," aptly named because helicopter blades chop off the top of his head.

At the end of the cult horror classic, bikers throw pies at zombies in front of a Hanover Shoes store in the Pittsburgh-area Monroeville Mall.

Krut, a Bonneauville resident, brings another local connection to the film.

While attending Pittsburgh's Point Park College, Krut met Tom Savini, the man behind the film's special effects. Both served in the Vietnam War and returned to Pittsburgh to join the same theater groups.

In 1978, Krut was on his way to see a movie when he encountered Savini again.

"How'd you like to be in a movie?" asked Savini the future Godfather of Gore.

"In five minutes I'll be in one," Krut quipped.

Director George Romero was making a zombie movie and asked Savini to create the makeup and special effects. Savini later became a special make-up effects artist in movies like "Friday the 13th" and "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2."

For "Dawn of the Dead," Krut's low forehead caught Savini's attention. He made a mold of Krut's head, added a little extra on top and dabbed on some gray make-up for his scene.

The Dawn of the Dead crew filmed Krut's scene at a nearby airport, minus the legions of zombies that populated the main set at the Monroeville Mall.

Krut didn't have a clue how to embody his zombie character, he said. He walked stiffly towards his potential meal one of the actors and made some "low growly sounds."

But "helicopter zombie" never saw the reason for his demise the rotating helicopter blades.

As the camera rolled, Krut climbed a pile of boxes. People off-screen ripped off the top of his fake head by pulling strings. Others hid behind the boxes and pumped blood to create the gushing effect.

The deadly helicopter blades were added in post-production.

Filming lasted two days and fit right into Krut's schedule as a theater actor.

He didn't realize his short role would take him to Europe to meet admiring fans in the future. After attending horror conventions in Pittsburgh and Cleaveland, Krut went to events in Germany, where the film has a large following.

"I thought no matter what happened, here's my 15 seconds," Krut said. "As soon as that comes up: (People say)Wow.'"

In fact, fans from Germany are visiting the Kruts, Jim and Linda, this weekend. One man makes life-sized statues of the film's characters. Another runs a German "Dawn of the Dead" website.

Zach Snyder's remake of "Dawn of the Dead" opened in theaters last month. The films share blood, guns and a mall setting.

But the new zombies run instead of shuffle, which doesn't allow the audience the chance to get to know the undead characters, Krut said.

"There's not that same type of personality development," he said. "It's a different movie."

Now as the manager of communications and community services at Adams Electric, Krut finds time to act with Gettysburg Stage, a local theater group. He will play the lead role in "Dracula" in the fall.

Scary movies didn't terrify the Kruts' daughters, Melissa and Angelica, when they were young. Still, their parents didn't allow them to watch "Dawn of the Dead" until they turned 16.

His youngest, Angelica, sat down on her 16th birthday with some pizza, wincing at the movie's initial gunshots and bloodshed.

When her father lost his head, she asked for a replay.

http://www.eveningsun.com/Stories/0,1413,140~9956~2107798,00.html

Land of the Dead: Romero's Final Zombie Flick To Film

READ THE WHOLE STORY HERE

The article edited for importance:

*HUGE NEWS* George Romero's 'Land of the Dead' Official!

Variety reports that George Romero is set to direct "Land of the Dead," a horror film that picks up on the zombie saga he hatched with "Night of the Living Dead" and continued with "Dawn of the Dead" and "Day of the Dead."

Pic, from Romero's own script, is being co-financed by Atmosphere Entertainment and Paris-based Wild Bunch. Production will begin in October in Winnipeg or Pittsburgh. Latter was the site of shooting for Romero's original 1968 zombie trilogy.

In Romero's new pic, the zombies having taken over the world and those left alive are confined to a walled-in city that keeps out the corpse corps. Anarchy rules the streets, with the wealthy insulated and living in fortified skyscrapers. Drama revolves around a group of scavengers who must thwart an attempt to overthrow the city while the dead are evolving from brainless slow-moving creatures into more advanced creatures.

Canton said Romero's early work was the touchstone for a slew of current horror hits and that his script showed the master hadn't lost his touch.

He and Goldmann described the film as "Night of the Living Dead" meets "The Road Warrior," and Wild Bunch's Vincent Grimond sparked to the overseas potential. The two companies have the ability to cover the budget themselves but expect to land a domestic distributor before the zombies wreak havoc in the fall.

Romero had been developing "Diamond Dead," a black comedy musical that's being produced by Scott Free and Andrew Gaty, and he also scripted an adaptation of the Stephen King novel "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon," which he may direct for Canadian financier Don Archibald and Lions Gate. But he jumped at the chance to dig up the dead again.

"People ask me why I've waited so long to do another 'Dead' film," Romero said. "I made one in the '60s, one in the '70s and one in the '80s. The only reason I missed the '90s is because I wanted to stay faithful to the tradition while coming up with something new."

Wow how cool does that sound!! When do you think it will be out? 2008?

There was Twilight Of The Dead and Dusk Of The Dead both being rumoured as names for the next movie.
Land Of The Dead sounds good but I thought Dusk Of...sounded uber cool.

I'm not actually sure I like the sound of this film yet, it's all coming across as Resident Evil 5 for the Gamecube. Leave the zombies as braindead, slow-moving grotesques and stop trying to fit in with the in crowd please.
A swarm of stumbling, groaning dead-heads is a hell of a lot scarier than the ones that were bombing about in the remake and 28 Days Later in my opinion.

Fantastic! I haven't seen "Day of..." but I loved the other two.

River_Styx said:
There was Twilight Of The Dead and Dusk Of The Dead both being rumoured as names for the next movie.
Land Of The Dead sounds good but I thought Dusk Of...sounded uber cool.

I'm not actually sure I like the sound of this film yet, it's all coming across as Resident Evil 5 for the Gamecube. Leave the zombies as braindead, slow-moving grotesques and stop trying to fit in with the in crowd please.
A swarm of stumbling, groaning dead-heads is a hell of a lot scarier than the ones that were bombing about in the remake and 28 Days Later in my opinion.

While I am no great fan of the fast zombie I do like the idea of playing with the genre and seeing what happens. Fast zombies are largely due to the influence of zombies in computer games (where they had to make them faster as they need variation and couldn't have the hordes of undead so they made them faster - House of the Dead anyone??) while Romero's ideas for the next film seem to be the natural next step in the story arc following on from Bud in Day of the Dead.

I'm looking forward to it - it has to be better than Day of the Dead: Contagium (if the trailer is anything to go by).

I prefer the idea of "They're us"
I'll still watch it because it's Romero so it's bound to be interesting just for that reason.

Bud was nothing more than a pet performing tricks for his dinner. He was still the rigid, slow and stumbling zombie that the rest of them were, he just had a gun. Hehehe.

I'd not even heard of that Contagium thing but having just witnessed the trailer it has to be said that it doesn't look much good. Will have to be a late night, too drunk to change the channel, event I feel.

River_Styx said:
I prefer the idea of "They're us"
I'll still watch it because it's Romero so it's bound to be interesting just for that reason.

Bud was nothing more than a pet performing tricks for his dinner. He was still the rigid, slow and stumbling zombie that the rest of them were, he just had a gun. Hehehe.

Yes but I don't think this:

the dead are evolving from brainless slow-moving creatures into more advanced creatures.

means we are in for fast zombies just smarter, more cunning ones (like Bud a few years further down the line). It would be too easy for Romero to go with the trend for fast zombies (which I feel rather miss one of the main aspects of why a horror movie is scary - if we wanted fast monsters we already have vampires and werewolves) and someone of his status can probably avoid studio pressure and deliver something different but interesting. It'll be fun seeing what he comes up with as I'm sure he'll try and subvert people's expectations (fingers crossed anyway).

I suppose it could be a continuation of the news report during Dawn... which said there were reports of the zombies using tools. If they take that along to the point where they're behaving like certain species of birds using stones to crack open shell fish or what have you then it'll be cool.

Don't get me wrong I'm stoked that a fourth movie is heading towards production but I'm hoping they manage to keep the tone and style which made the previous films' so great.

But how are they evolving I mean they are decomposing all the time and if mankind has turned into small garrison cities then where are the fresh corpses coming from? The time line though is important. I always felt that Dawn was maybe a week after night and Day six months plus down the track. It was always interesting that you never had any real knowledge of what caused the dead to rise, unlike Return of the Living Dead, agent-orange type chemical.

"Fast zombies" are fun, but Romero uses environment to give the "slow zombies" their impact, like the scene in Dawn when they are hotwiring the trucks or "flyboy" in the lift. Those small confined spaces the humans have to work in make it more heart stopping as is the endless chilling, patience of the dead. Also Romero's dead are no match for an average human and its the irony that these stupid, shambling creatures have deystroyed mankind. Romero's films are like a rollerecoaster you can see whats coming but can't stop it from happening, ( to rip off Cameron's comment on the Aliens film).

I love Romero and I hope this makes up for him being taken off the Resi film, he could have done wonders with that.

Hobbes said:
"Fast zombies" are fun, but Romero uses environment to give the "slow zombies" their impact, like the scene in Dawn when they are hotwiring the trucks or "flyboy" in the lift. Those small confined spaces the humans have to work in make it more heart stopping as is the endless chilling, patience of the dead. Also Romero's dead are no match for an average human and its the irony that these stupid, shambling creatures have deystroyed mankind. Romero's films are like a rollerecoaster you can see whats coming but can't stop it from happening, ( to rip off Cameron's comment on the Alien's film).

Exactly the two main reasons I find zombie movies scary (there are other reasons like the post-apocalyptic setting and the infection scenario but these aren't specific to the zombie film) are:

1. The Nietzschian fear of the mob - while fast zombies to form hordes they are a threat on their own while a single slow zombie doesn't pose too much threat and their very slowness forces people to use the mob.

2. The tortoise and the hare (OF FEAR!!) - their relentlessness means that while you can get away from them fairly easily they will always catch you up so while you can snatch rest you are being hunted and you have to keep moving.

Lets be honest the Triffids weren't fast on their toes (urmm roots) but they still scared me as a kid ;)

Dead Reckoning

Dead Reckoning was going to be the new romero zombie movie and was very very close to getting the greenlight. The story was basically the same as Land of the Dead but with more empasis on a massive truck that was customised to be a huge zombie killing machine that brought supplies between the few human fortified cities left. The zombies were basically really decomposed and more of a plight than a threat, well the majority, the recently deceased were far more deadly,the majority of the undead werew to be just decomposing on the streets and being stepped over by the humans (like the homeless, drug addicts etc-thats how Romero described it anyway). So due to 28 Days Later/Dawn of the Dead remake I imagine the shift had to change to make the zombies more threatening etc
Can't wait fot the movie to come out, it'll be a while I imagine....

River_Styx said:
I suppose it could be a continuation of the news report during Dawn... which said there were reports of the zombies using tools. If they take that along to the point where they're behaving like certain species of birds using stones to crack open shell fish or what have you then it'll be cool.

In the original NOTLD, the first zombie you see runs after Barbra, and tries to smash its way into the car with a big stone. So I suppose fast, tool using zombies are fairly orthodox.

I'm not sure but judging from how that fellow was dressed I think he was there to either be buried or attend a burial in which case his body would have been in better condition, well for a dead person anyway.
I have to agree with the comment Hobbes made about the time line and how that would mean by the time you've reached the scenario of Dawn you'd have more zombies that were created from the victims of zombies, therefore they'd be more damaged and unable to move as fluidily. You can already see this process happening by the end of the first film.

Since the new wave of 'fast zombies' and the discussion of the pros and cons of both I've been of the opinion that there should be both in each movie. It would make a bit of sesne that 'fresh' zombies of the recently deceased should be able to move faster since their muscels haven't stiffened yet from rigermortis, btu the longer a zombie has been dead it would stand to reason the slower he became.

So, if I was making a zombie flick (and I wish I was) I would use both.

-Fitz

Since the new wave of 'fast zombies' and the discussion of the pros and cons of both I've been of the opinion that there should be both in each movie. It would make a bit of sesne that 'fresh' zombies of the recently deceased should be able to move faster since their muscels haven't stiffened yet from rigermortis, btu the longer a zombie has been dead it would stand to reason the slower he became.

So, if I was making a zombie flick (and I wish I was) I would use both.

-Fitz

And it addresses a number of concerns people have had:

G,R,: It's still hard for me to get past the idea that the zombie were running around. They are supposed to be dead and all messed up.

G.R.: And they're not making me have the zombies run.

Capone: Although, according to reports about LAND OF THE DEAD as well as the DVD commentary for DAY OF THE DEAD, it sounds like the zombies get smarter and evolve somewhat.

G.R.: They have been. The last zombie you see in DAWN is holding a gun with some familiarity. And of course, in DAY OF THE DEAD there's Bub. In LAND, I'll have uber-Bub and a couple others that make it clear that the zombies are getting it together a little bit. They're still stumbling around, but they are developing a bit and there's more memory.

Capone: Are you going to have to dabble in the realm of computer generated effects for this film?

G.R.: Yeah, but we're still going to do all the zombie stuff practical. But I have a big sequence that needs CG, a bridge collapse.

Now I'm really excited (and I was pretty excited before)!!!!.

Okay I'm happy now and rather smiley about that so just hurry up and make the damn film already!

Yeah but George they have memory in dawn of the dead, thats why the go to the mall!

Peter:They're after this place...
They don't know why...
They just remember....
Remember that they wanna be here...

(can't remember if Peter says the last line, I bought a copy of the original script off e-bay, took a bloody age to get to me).

So maybe their memories improve, what happens next just memories or thought or empathy? Maybe at the end of the new film they all stop eating humans and end up going back to their old lives, jobs and the rat race. Now that would be a far creepier and a shit load more cynical than the other Dead movies:D

Never gone through this script but there's alot that never made it to the film, I'll have a look through when I get the time and post some stuff.

Went to a showing of Shaun of the dead with a q&a session at the end with the director who said that he and Simon Pegg have been offered parts of zombies, (no pun intended), in the next Romero film. They sent him a copy of Shaun to cheer him up over the Dawn remake and he said they could be in the next Dead film.

(sorry speedily written gotta go but thought I'd share this).

I like to think they were drawn to the mall because they instinctively knew that's where the living might be. They might remember but they don't know why...

Back