• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Routes of Coincidence: A Twin 66?

Ermintruder

The greatest risk is to risk nothing at all...
The famous United States interstate road from east to west was of course Route 66....
640px-Map_of_US_66.svg.png

The significantly less-romantic but functionally-resonant road in the UK from east to west is of course the A66.....
2015-07-19 22.09.42.png

One-twentieth of the size of it's American cousin, but, there is a curious numerological / geographological coincidence that can be perceived.

Pfft, I sometimes travel on the A666. Now THERE'S a road. :eek:

Near here there's the A500, known locally as the D Road, D being Latin for 500.
What've the Romans ever done for us, eh!

Well, the UK has ancient roads and sacred sites, the US has the Worlds Largest Catsup Bottle
http://www.catsupbottle.com/
the World's Largest Totem Pole
http://www.takemytrip.com/08plains/08_32a.htm
and motels shaped like teepees
http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/wigwam_village_hotel6_holbrook.html

So they really are just the same. :p
Joking aside, I do think such things were created from similar impulses, but their expression was...erm...somewhat different.

Canada's Route 66 has a town named Swastika.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario

:eek:

You know, I've often said the Disney/Pixar movie Cars (which deals with Route 66) is the most American movie ever made. In light of this thread, it's too bad that Cars 2 (the British Spy thriller one) didn't even mention the A66. Seems like a real missed opportunity now.

Well, maybe one day they'll do a Canadian version. Though somehow I suspect it won't be set in Swastika. ;)

You know, I've often said the Disney/Pixar movie Cars (which deals with Route 66) is the most American movie ever made. In light of this thread, it's too bad that Cars 2 (the British Spy thriller one) didn't even mention the A66. Seems like a real missed opportunity now.

Well, maybe one day they'll do a Canadian version. Though somehow I suspect it won't be set in Swastika. ;)

Canada has quite a few strange place-names:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/48761/origins-8-strangest-place-names-canada

One that did not make that list is "Punkeydoodles Corners".

A crossroads in the middle of nowhere, allegedly named after the gibberings of a local idiot.

The story goes that there was some nut who sat at the crossroads in an old chair, singing "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

But he only knew the first line of the song, so he would sing it over and over, like a skipping record.

And he didn't know the correct lyrics, so he would sing

Punkey Doodles came to town,
Punkey Doodles came to town...

And eventually someone named the crossroads after this phrase.

According to Billy Bragg, the A13 is the UK equivalent to Route 66:

This brings to mind the alleged "curse" around the Omen movie, one incident reported to substantiate the claim being that "Special Effects Director John Richardson and his assistant, Liz Moore, were involved in a serious car accident. While Richardson survived, Moore was decapitated. Horrifying as it is, curse theorists point out John Richardson was responsible for a decapitation scene in The Omen, in which David Warner's character is beheaded in famous murderer Ed Gein fashion. Legend holds the scene of the accident occurred at roadmarker "Ommen: 66.6km." Not only was the beasts number present at the site of the accident but it occurred on Friday the 13th of the year 1976."

Interesting they say "legend holds" as I'm pretty sure the ommen, 66.6 part has been printed and featured in a documentary as a factual detail.

Pfft, I sometimes travel on the A666. Now THERE'S a road. :eek:

Near here there's the A500, known locally as the D Road, D being Latin for 500.
What've the Romans ever done for us, eh!

Elsewhere on the Board, I recalled the day the mileage on my car ticked onto 66666.66 miles while driving on the A666 towards Bolton. I joked about it being the Devil's Highway, though I have not had anything untoward happen to me.

Manchester and National papers are today recording the murder of Salford's "Mr Big" and speculating about a likely wave of retaliatory attacks.

The linked Guardian piece has a photograph which mentions the closure of Manchester Road at Clifton. It does not mention that the road is otherwise known as the A666. :eek:

It occurs to me that some of the younger members here may not have twigged the punning reference in Ermintrude's thread title.

The Roots of Coincidence is a 1972 book by Arthur Koestler, an introduction to theories of parapsychology, including extrasensory perception and psychokinesis. Koestler postulates links between modern physics, their interaction with time and paranormal phenomena. It is influenced by Carl Jung's concept of synchronicity and the seriality of Paul Kammerer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roots_of_Coincidence

If you did all know this, well, no harm giving it another mention! It helped form my interest in Fortean subjects, all those years ago. :)

If you did all know this, well, no harm giving it another mention! It helped form my interest in Fortean subjects, all those years ago.

Thank you Rynner - and Ermintrude! I have been educated :)

....the punning reference in Ermintrude's thread title.

Koestler's "Roots" was indeed for me, too, a deus ex machina into Fortean fields...as was his "Ghost"....(in the machine). I seem to remember that much of what I've forgotten, over the years, would be so useful, if only I could remember it all, here and now.

(ps @rynner2 , I do know that you were an earlier batch than me, but, I reckon that (me, as an early-starter with an ongoing hard-and-hybrid paper-round, you as a ubereducator maritime polymath) we have probably walked, together but seperately, over a lot of recognisably-similar territories of discovery and search. Not necessarily to identical destinations of result or effect, but on a universal scale, oftentimes fairly close)

I've posted three times before on Koestler's "Roots of Coincidence", all on the Coincidences thread. In the last of those three, in 2005, I said;

My interest in coincidences and synchronicity sprang from reading
Arthur Koestler's "The Roots of Coincidence", many years ago.
Now, by the magic of computers, I've been able to ascertain that the Cornwall library service still has a copy, and I've reserved it, online. (Saves 10p over booking it in person!)
It'll be interesting to re-read it after all this time - I'll report back when I have !

But if I did report back, I can't find it now. :(

However, you may not be missing much - IIRC, I found it slightly disappointing. I suppose it's inevitable that after so many years, the book would not seem so fresh and exciting as it did on a first reading. Plus my own ideas and understanding of the world had also moved on, so it may have been the same book, but it had a different reader.

(But I'll try another search for my lost report - it might have fallen down the cracks somewhere...)

According to Billy Bragg, the A13 is the UK equivalent to Route 66:

Use it several times a week. It gets a bit snarly through Leigh but I'm on a motorbike and it is quite a lovely road.

Mostly not as bizarre as the Herald thinks... :rolleyes:
The 9 most bizarre street names in Plymouth
By Sarah_Herald | Posted: January 09, 2017

There are hundreds of roads, streets and cobbled lanes in Plymouth - but have you ever wondered where they get their names? From Bladder Lane to Unicorn Close, The Herald took a closer look at their origins.

1. Bladder Lane, Manadon

Bladder Lane, is said to have been named after the plant bladderwort which grew in the meadows (Bladder Meadow) adjacent. However, the street name was changed to Boniface Street, at the request of Boniface's Catholic College who didn't approve of the street in which they were located.

2. Cockington Close, Leigham

The term cockington is thought to have come from the Saxon term meaning either 'the settlement near the springs' or 'the place of the red meadow'. The first option is likely to be true for Cockington Close due to the nearby stream which runs into the River Plym.

3. Plougastel Drive, Saltash

This tough to pronounce name is possibly linked to the commune Plougastel-Daoulas in Brittany, France which has close ties with the city of Plymouth.

4. Unicorn Close, Plympton

This street, unfortunately, is not named after the mythical creature but it is thought to have been named after HMS Unicorn. The naval ship arrived in Plymouth June 18, 1799, before sailing to Brest, France.

5. Little America

Little America was given its title after the former US Army base which used to be situated in the same location. The complex stays true to its name, boasting street names such as California Gardens, Oregon Way and Michigan Way.

6. Donkey Lane, Millbrook

This bizarre name has an even more bizarre story behind it. Donkey Lane received its title after smugglers used donkeys to transport illicit goods down to Rame Head. On their journey, the thieves stored their stash and kept their mule's overnight in Highland House, Donkey Lane, Millbrook, which is possibly where the name came from.

7. Cookworthy Road, Camels Head

Named after William Cookworthy, this road is a dedication to the successful porcelain business owner, who set up his enterprise in the city of Plymouth with his friend John Smeaton who happened to be the designer of the lighthouse [now] on The Hoe.

8. Soap Street, Millbay

This newly-named street is bubbling with history, having been named after the Millbay soap factory which was originally located there. Soap Street is, conveniently, located next to Bath Street, which was named after the Royal Reunion Baths, which were demolished in 1849

9. Pippin Lane, Plymstock

Titled after a type of apple, such as Cox's Orange Pippin and King of the Pippin, with a sweet pineapple-like taste.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/the...street-named/story-30042380-detail/story.html

Last edited:
Back