• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scientist Claims Proof Of Afterlife

Timble said:
Anticipates the same point as you raised, though not quite the same conclusion, MA prosposes that souls carry on for a while but eventually disperse. (a pretty neat, if unproveable idea) He generally
has a pretty sceptical attitude to the gods and the afterlife.

Then again, one could ask why there's the assumption that the spirits (or whatever one may like to call them) of the dead take up any 'space' in a way that we would understand. Even if the afterlife is as large as the Universe, I don't see how all life on Earth (in it's deceased state, if you get what I mean) would take up much of it - taking into account the scale involved.

the blind men and the elephant

RE: Occams Razor and naturaly generated energy fields-

Sorta sounds like the effects you'd get in a carnival fun house, step on a grate and get a blast of air up your skirt. But most of these experiences don't happen to people with such predictable regularity as you'd expect if that were the only thing going on. I do want to learn more about the effects of electromagnetism-what for example in nature creates big discharges besides lightning? or precurser to an earthquake? And if it is often present (when no lightning or earthquakes are occuring)and an unusual communication from the people who have passed on takes place how is it acting as a vehicle for that experience? I wish there was a way to have an MRI being done when such a link happens, just to see what part of the brain is stimulated. I'm hung up on the nuts and bolts of the occurance rather than the mystical.

Try Piezoelectricity and simple friction or static electricity. ;)

More answers, clarifications, etc.

Spillage,
It is a treat talking with you, because you have some terrific questions. Many of them I have struggled with myself. I don't have all the answers that you want, but I'll try to do what I can.
To see a 'ghost' of a person, standing or whatever in a place, is impossible.
Well, since I've seen the results of the sighting, I'll have to disagree with you there.

Mediums have only been around since the Fox sisters of New York in the latter part of the 19th Century

From the OLD Testament of the Bible: Leviticus 20:27 (from biblegateway.com, searched "medium, elijah") (hopefully the link works)
" 'A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.' "
So, no, mediums have been around a very very long time. And even back then, they were killed off, so if the ability is genetic, it would be pretty rare. (the four biblical references were all of the theme: trust God, not mediums)

Here's a test for all your medium friends

Like I said before, it doesn't work that way. It's the spirits who come through, not the medium who does the work. (for the mediums I know)

I would go insane if it were proven that Ghosts are a reality and there is a Heaven and Hell afterall!

I guess I can understand your bias against the supernatural then. Did you ever believe in God? If so, what made you change your mind? Did you go crazy because God no longer existed? I think you could handle a ghost or two. I won't comment on Heaven or Hell, because the afterlife is so misunderstood, that these concepts are meaningless.

Regarding the discussion of "not enough room" for everything. Every single life form as we know it here on Earth has been contained within the very thin layer on a rather small planet. The universe is incomprehensibly huge, astronomical even! :lol: Saying that there isn't enough room kinda implies that the earth isn't big enough for everything that has ever lived.
Again, I don't aim to explain how the afterlife works. All those souls "going somewhere" is meaningless, since there is no "space" that they go to. It just doesn't work that way.

As to the reconciliation of evolution and the existence of souls, yes, that may take some pushing the "why we are here" theme. The theory may need a "God" to start up the universe. I was raised in the Christian religion, but I recognize the Genesis version of creation is not what happened. (Christians, please view it as how God could explain it to Man; non-christians, view it as a story to explain to kids "how we got here") It could be that we "are not alone" and other civilizations have come and gone, with only their souls left over. As a civilization, we are just too young to be even close to comprehending this. Our lifetimes barely last the length of time for light to travel a fraction of the distance across the galaxy.

Science so far cannot explain souls, and any religion can't explain the universe's origin scientifically, as well as creation of life/us scientifically. There is still more to be learned than to try to reconcile this paradox today. (okay, bad cop-out on my side, but it's a question I've struggled with also)

:)
(First of all, "sleptics", hmm, I have the unworthy suspicion that that was supposed to look like an accident.) ;)

cartoon sketches:

----------
"No real scientist has ever investigated the claims of spirit mediums!"
-- um, well, Schwartz did...
"Well then, Schwartz is not a real scientist!"
----------

----------
"No real Frenchman would ever drink American wine!"
-- but Jacques Fromage drinks American wine...
"Well then, Jacques Fromage is not a real Frenchman!"
----------

----------
"There has never been a film about killer shrews!"
-- well what about The Killer Shrews ?
"You call that a film?!"
----------

It's sort of like that.

And another scientist steps up to the plate. Much mention of quantum effects and biocentrism.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...is-claims-professor-robert-lanza-8942558.html

Is there an afterlife? The science of biocentrism can prove there is, claims Professor Robert Lanza

The Independent. John Hall. 15 November 2013

It’s a question pondered by philosophers, scientists and the devout since the dawn of time: is there an afterlife?

While the religious would argue that life on earth is a mere warm up for an eternity spent in heaven or hell, and many scientists would dismiss the concept for lack of proof – one expert claims he has definitive evidence to confirm once and for all that there is indeed life after death.

The answer, Professor Robert Lanza says, lies in quantum physics – specifically the theory of biocentrism. The scientist, from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in North Carolina, says the evidence lies in the idea that the concept of death is a mere figment of our consciousness.

Professor Lanza says biocentrism explains that the universe only exists because of an individual’s consciousness of it – essentially life and biology are central to reality, which in turn creates the universe; the universe itself does not create life. The same applies to the concepts of space and time, which Professor Lanza describes as “simply tools of the mind”.

In a message posted on the scientist’s website, he explains that with this theory in mind, the concept of death as we know it is “cannot exist in any real sense” as there are no true boundaries by which to define it. Essentially, the idea of dying is something we have long been taught to accept, but in reality it just exists in our minds.

Professor Lanza says biocentrism is similar to the idea of parallel universes - a concept hypothesised by theoretical physicists. In much the same way as everything that could possibly happen is speculated to be occurring all at once across multiple universes, he says that once we begin to question our preconceived concepts of time and consciousness, the alternatives are huge and could alter the way we think about the world in a way not seen since the 15th century’s “flat earth” debate.

He goes on to use the so-called double-slit experiment as proof that the behaviour of a particle can be altered by a person’s perception of it. In the experiment, when scientists watch a particle pass through a multi-holed barrier, the particle acts like a bullet travelling through a single slit. When the article is not watched, however, the particle moves through the holes like a wave.

Scientists argue that the double-slit experiment proves that particles can act as two separate entities at the same time, challenging long-established ideas of time and perception.

Although the idea is rather complicated, Professor Lanza says it can be explained far more simply using colours. Essentially, the sky may be perceived as blue, but if the cells in our brain were changed to make the sky look green, was the sky every truly blue or was that just our perception?

In terms of how this affects life after death, Professor Lanza explains that, when we die, our life becomes a “perennial flower that returns to bloom in the multiverse”. He added: “Life is an adventure that transcends our ordinary linear way of thinking. When we die, we do so not in the random billiard-ball-matrix but in the inescapable-life-matrix.”

Professor Lanza's theory is explained in full in his book Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe.
See also:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ics-proves-IS-afterlife-claims-scientist.html

Dear Manager,

Speaking as a perennial flower that returns to bloom in the multiverse, I would like to know why my recent request for watering was turned down.

I wilt (sic) return to haunt you.

Pecunia the Petunia. :(

Back