• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Found this:

http://www-camlaw.rutgers.edu/publicati ... _2_1_1.pdf

Scientology or Censorship: You Decide: An Examination of the Church of Scientology, Its Recent Battles with Individual Internet Users and Service Providers, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and the Implications for Free Speech on the Web. by Theresa Lyons.

A bit scary:

Scientologist Elfman wants to ‘clear the planet’

Jenna Elfman is out to help her fellow Scientologists "clear the planet" of aliens.

By Jeannette Walls
MSNBC
Updated: 2:55 a.m. ET Feb. 15, 2005

Some Jenna Elfman fans were startled by what the star had to say in a recent issue of Scientology’s magazine Celebrity.

The former star of “Dharma and Greg” is a devotee of the controversial religion, whose members also include Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

“I intend to make Scientology as accessible to as many people as I can. And that is my goal,” Elfman said. To do this, she says, it is my “duty to clear the planet.” By “clearing” she means to rid the world of “body thetans” — aliens who Scientologists believe inhabit the earth from a nuclear explosion 75 million years ago. She continued that “the more successful I became, the more suppression I bumped into … especially in the entertainment industry, which really is home to rabid suppression.”

“Her comments seem to reflect an increasingly almost paranoid view of the world around her in which she appears to have cleared house of all the suppressive people,” Rick Ross, who runs Cultnews.com, tells The Scoop. “Which to Scientologists would include all the people who are critical of Scientology.”

Source

So if we don't agree with them 100% it's because we're being controlled by aliens?

And a bunch of "celebrities" get to act up in any way they like and nobody can censure them without being branded an intergalactic, prehistoric killjoy?

I don't know anything about Scientology, aside from some of the more resilient rumours, but doesn't this all sound a bit suss?

What's that Q'lthor? Kill all puny humans? Well, if you say so...

I'm quite prepared to accept that, taken on face value, all religions seem vaguely ridiculous; but am I alone in thinking this one seems far more ridiculous than most?

I mean, given the choice, would you go for the Son of God made made through a Virgin Birth; who's tortured and murdered, and who rises from the dead three days later -

OR

75 million years ago, we were a perfect alien race, but then we got all screwy and forgot we were perfect aliens, so we need electroconvulsive shock therapy to remind ourselves how wonderful it is when we stop. And there's all this negative energy that's just infested us that needs to be cleansed from our systems in order that we can become pure beings once more, and that will be £150,000 thank you very much.

Erm....let me think about that for a minute....

Ravenstone said:
I'm quite prepared to accept that, taken on face value, all religions seem vaguely ridiculous; but am I alone in thinking this one seems far more ridiculous than most?

It's far to close for comfort to L. Ron Hubbarb's SF, its exactly the sort of religion a pulp SF writer would (well did) invent.

Russell Miller's Biography "Bare Faced Messiah" is a useful source of material on LRH and the strange mix of psuedo-psychology, science fiction and religion that is Scientology

Its online at Bare Faced Messiah

Tom Cruise Wants to Assist
With on-set Scientology.

In the upcoming Steven Spielberg remake of War of the Worlds, one family fights for survival when Earth is invaded by Martian war machines. But on the set of the movie, there’s been an invasion of another sort: Scientologists! Tom Cruise, the film’s star and the religion’s most well-known adherent, has set up a Scientology tent with a volunteer minister. “It’s a gift from Tom to the crew,” says Lee Anne De Vette, Cruise’s sister and spokeswoman. “You can receive what’s called an assist there,” a Scientologist practice that, as she describes it, seems to be a glorified mini-massage. “If someone has an injury in a certain part of their body, if their back is killing them, they can come in and get an assist. It’s something that helps the body get in better communication with itself.” Actual Scientology literature is available, too, in case “someone walks in looking for a solution.” All of which has caused a certain amount of grumbling. Scientology watchdog Rick Ross says that he’s received e-mails from crew members wondering, “Where are the booths for the Catholics and the Jews?”
—J.B.

Source

A bit incestuous isn't it? A sci-fi religion on the set of a sci-fi film, based on a science fiction classic? :p

Volshebnik said:
A bit incestuous isn't it? A sci-fi religion on the set of a sci-fi film, based on a science fiction classic? :p

Remiinds me of the Orson Welles radio broadcast. Another case of people who couldn't work out what was sci-fi and what was reality.

And I thought an "assist" was something Micheal Owen et al yearns for in an England shirt.

Tom Cruise Wants to Assist

With on-set Scientology.

In the upcoming Steven Spielberg remake of War of the Worlds, one family fights for survival when Earth is invaded by Martian war machines. But on the set of the movie, there’s been an invasion of another sort: Scientologists! Tom Cruise, the film’s star and the religion’s most well-known adherent, has set up a Scientology tent with a volunteer minister. “It’s a gift from Tom to the crew,” says Lee Anne De Vette, Cruise’s sister and spokeswoman. “You can receive what’s called an assist there,” a Scientologist practice that, as she describes it, seems to be a glorified mini-massage. “If someone has an injury in a certain part of their body, if their back is killing them, they can come in and get an assist. It’s something that helps the body get in better communication with itself.” Actual Scientology literature is available, too, in case “someone walks in looking for a solution.” All of which has caused a certain amount of grumbling. Scientology watchdog Rick Ross says that he’s received e-mails from crew members wondering, “Where are the booths for the Catholics and the Jews?”

Source

Mel Gibson: Anti-Scientology Crusader

Anyone seen this movie? I've not seen it or read the magazine article (which does not seem to be on-line.)

Mel Gibson Challenges Church of Scientology

"The Passion of the Christ" marked Mel Gibson's bloodiest commentary on religion, but it wasn't his first.

In 2000, Icon Productions, Gibson's production company, made "Bless the Child," a staunchly pro-Christian movie replete with anti-Scientology references.

Gibson's challenge to the Church of Scientology is the subject of an investigation in the current issue of Citizen Culture Magazine, the new magazine that has been called "A New Yorker for a New Generation." (www.citizenculture.com)

The article, entitled "Scientology's Night at the Movies," was written by editor-in-chief Jonathon Scott Feit, based on earlier research published in the Journal of Media and Religion.

Feit writes that "Bless the Child" "resembles so closely the reality of events and perceptions surrounding the Church of Scientology that it seems to have been written, in everything but name, as an expose of Scientology's seedy internal operations."

"Bless the Child," which was co-produced by Paramount Pictures and starred Kim Basinger, Jimmy Smits, Rufus Sewell and child prodigy Holliston Coleman, performed less successfully at the box office than "The Passion" (re-released in March as "The Passion Recut"), which highlighted Gibson's fundamentalist Christian views.

Feit writes that, "Scientology is either Hollywood's latest 'dirty word' or its Holy Grail, depending on who is being asked. In the 21st century, to denounce it publicly or shun it is to risk being blacklisted as were celebrities and filmmakers suspected of being Communism-friendly in the 1950s.

"Gibson's professional proximity, and perhaps friendship, to his colleagues of high grandeur [including noted Scientologists John Travolta, Tom Cruise and others], not to mention the Hollywood political game, may explain the film's cryptic bludgeoning rather than outright deprecation of Scientology."

In "Bless the Child," "The New Dawn," a fictionalized religion that borrows Scientology's symbols and rhetoric, is ultimately defeated by Catholic believers. The film differs significantly from the novel of the same name, which emphasizes the power of faith as a hopeful force, but does not side with any particular religion.

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aaahome/ ... 0519a.html

This from the DigitalSpy Entertainment site -
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds21757.html

Cruise claims Holmes "digs" Scientology
Saturday, June 11 2005, 16:27 BST -- by Daniel Kilkelly

Tom Cruise has revealed that his latest girlfriend Katie Holmes "digs" the Church of Scientology.

The actor's interest in the religious sect allegedly caused problems in his previous relationships with Penelope Cruz and Nicole Kidman, however Dawson's Creek actress Katie is becoming interested in the cult.

"Yes, absolutely. She digs it," Cruise told Entertainment Weekly magazine.

"I've always been passionate about it. I've always talked about it when people asked about it."

Cruise confirmed that there was a Scientology tent on the set of his upcoming movie, War of the Worlds.

"I also had a cappuccino tent on that set," he explained. "And I made sure the crews were fed well, too. And if someone wanted an assist from a [Scientology] volunteer, it was there for them.

"People are curious about it - they're always asking me about it, they want to know what Scientology is."

Members of the sect believe that humans are descended from aliens, and are said to use electrical lie-detector machines to drive evil from their bodies.

From http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds21960.html

Tom 'tried to convert' Scarlett
Tuesday, June 21 2005, 13:24 BST -- by Daniel Saney

Scarlett Johansson reportedly pulled out of Mission: Impossible 3 when Tom Cruise tried to convert her to Scientology.

Yahoo Movies reports that the Lost In Translation actress met with Cruise before casting decisions were made and took her to a headquarters of the religion.

A source told radarmagazine.com: "After two hours of proselytizing, Cruise opened a door to reveal a second room full of upper-level scientologists who had been waiting to dine with the pair, at which point the cool-headed ingénue politely excused herself."

Johannson cited schedule conflicts as her reason for declining Mission: Impossible 3.

This is a weird story, especially considering the weird Scarlett Johanson story above... I mean, mu7 source IS Fox news, but it gives room for thought...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,160192,00.html
Katie Holmes' Missing Days
Tuesday, June 21, 2005
By Roger Friedman

The newly engaged Katie Holmes still has some explaining to do to her friends and family.

There were 16 days in April during which no one seems to know where she was.

Holmes made a public appearance on April 4 at the premiere of "Steel Magnolias" on Broadway. She came with her publicist, Leslie Sloane Zelnick, and a couple of other friends. They were there to support Rebecca Gayheart, who was making her Broadway debut. I know this because I spoke to Holmes at length during the play's intermission. She said she had just moved into her New York apartment and was looking forward to seeing the city.

I also know that on April 4, she had not yet made the acquaintance of Tom Cruise. She briefly dated Josh Hartnett after breaking up with actor Chris Klein. Hartnett, Klein, Cruise: Which of these three is not like the others?Klein and Hartnett are young and tall. Cruise is middle-aged and height-challenged.

On the other hand, he's the biggest movie star in the world. They are not. Holmes was busy during that first week in April. On April 7, she was photographed at the Fragrance Foundation's FiFi event.

Four days later, Holmes was still in New York and was photographed at VH1's "Save the Music" concert. She still had not met Cruise. Sometime that week, her friends say, she flew to Los Angeles for a meeting with Cruise about a role in "Mission: Impossible 3." The meeting took place after April 11. The next time anyone heard from Holmes was on April 27, when she appeared in public as Cruise's girlfriend and love of his life.

Where was she during those 16 days?

Somewhere during that time, she decided to fire both her manager and agent, each of whom she had been with for years and who were devoted to her. The manager, John Carrabino, also handles Renée Zellweger and is beloved by his clients. Holmes also acquired a new best friend, Jessica Feshbach, the daughter of Joe Feshbach, a controversial Palo Alto, Calif., bond trader. The Feshbach family, according to published documents, has donated millions to the Church of Scientology. Jessica's aunt even runs a Scientology center in Florida.

According to Richard Behar's now famous 1991 story in Time magazine about Scientology, the Feshbachs were the subject of congressional hearings in 1989. Behar wrote: "The heads of several companies claimed that Feshbach operatives have spread false information to government agencies and posed in various guises — such as a Securities and Exchange Commission official — in an effort to discredit the companies and drive the stocks down.

"Michael Russell, who ran a chain of business journals, testified that a Feshbach employee called his bankers and interfered with his loans. Sometimes the Feshbachs send private detectives to dig up dirt on firms, which is then shared with business reporters, brokers and fund managers."

The risk-taking Feshbachs, known the world over for making their fortune "shorting" stocks, and the level-headed, conservative Holmeses would be a difficult mix at a dinner table. Katie's father, Martin Holmes, is the senior partner in a large and respected Toledo, Ohio, law firm. His son, Martin Jr., has recently joined the firm. He's a Harvard graduate. Katie's mom, Kathy, is frequently cited in Toledo for her charity work.

There is some fear among Holmes' close circle that her instant romance with Cruise is not as organic as portrayed. For one thing, Holmes was raised a strict Catholic. Also, gone from the picture are two close Holmes friends who used to be with her when she did publicity for a film. One of these is Meghann Birie, a childhood friend who has suddenly disappeared from Holmes' world. Another, a local TV producer here in New York, was too afraid to discuss the situation with me.

We know that Cruise auditioned several actresses for this role before settling on Holmes. This column reported a story about Jennifer Garner. There have been published stories about Kate Bosworth, Lindsay Lohan and Jessica Alba being approached. A newer one involves Scarlett Johansson, who ran for her life when presented with a fait accompli dinner at the Scientology Celebrity Centre in Hollywood.

And history has been rewritten since the April 27 unveiling.

Curiously, since the Cruise-Holmes situation popped up, we have heard over and over again that Cruise was the young actress' idol when she was growing up. That's certainly interesting because all of the publicity that used to run on Holmes — still found all over the Internet — lists another Tom as her favorite actor.

That would be Tom Hanks.

Mr. R.I.N.G.: Thats weird - I wonder what was going on? Were they casting for a beard and someone inclined towards Scientology as well as an actress?

---------------
lopaka said:
Mel Gibson: Anti-Scientology Crusader

Anyone seen this movie? I've not seen it or read the magazine article (which does not seem to be on-line.)

Mel Gibson Challenges Church of Scientology

"The Passion of the Christ" marked Mel Gibson's bloodiest commentary on religion, but it wasn't his first.

In 2000, Icon Productions, Gibson's production company, made "Bless the Child," a staunchly pro-Christian movie replete with anti-Scientology references.

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aaahome/ ... 0519a.html

Its IMDB entry is here:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0163983/

[edit: A quick nose around doesn't show any mention of scientology.

It is available on DVD:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000054 ... enantmc-20

and appears to be based on this book - it doesn't look like the book is an adaptation anyway (apparently if you shop around it can be picked up for pennies):

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/07528 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/18579 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743405 ... enantmc-20

Tom Cruise is rivalling Michael Jackson in the creepy stakes these days.

Here's the website devoted to getting that poor, innocent, defenceless Katie Holmes out of his evil clutches:
http://freekatie.net/

At least Scarlett got away!

GNC said:
Tom Cruise is rivalling Michael Jackson in the creepy stakes these days.

Here's the website devoted to getting that poor, innocent, defenceless Katie Holmes out of his evil clutches:
http://freekatie.net/

At least Scarlett got away!

Good one :yeay:

I liked this:

Just to Be Fair, FREE KATIE Offers the Other Side

(I Feel a Message Board In Our Future)

"...you are nothing but a bottom-feeder waste of everyone's time. What a joke this is. Is your job to try and break up every couple you can think of? You quite literally have created the worst web site I have ever seen; and trying to exploit young, vulneralbe teens to purchase ridiculous merchandise for this 'cause' is despicable.At least go after Britney and Kevin - their home videos make me sick."

"this is the stupidest web site I have ever seen! As much as I hate Tom Cruise and could care less about Katie Holmes, just plain stupid!"

"I don't mean to be rude. But I personally feel like if you want to free Katie, then why not free Ashton Kutcher from Demi Moore. They are the same age as Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. Besides doing a web page about it is a little too much of none your business. I believe that they are big enough people on their own to work things out. There are plenty of people out there in the world that are some more than 16 years in age apart and they are doing just fine and are completley happy. So do me and other people a favor. STOP WAISTING YOUR TIME!!!!!"

"I don't think there's anything wrong with Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes my only concern is that he's steering her away from catholicism which he also did to Penelope' Cruz and Nicole Kidman. He's really not be fair to these women with his religious views. Thats my only beef. Plus the fact that I wish I was dating Katie Holmes but thats beside the point."

Who wants to bet that Katie was undergoing two weeks of heavy duty "personality tests" in her missing days? I wonder if they found a personality, mind you...?

GNC said:
Who wants to bet that Katie was undergoing two weeks of heavy duty "personality tests" in her missing days? I wonder if they found a personality, mind you...?

You'd think the least they could have done was feed her up - that girl needs a few bacon butties down her.

Don't know if people have heard about this

Tom Cruise Slams Brooke Shields
Tom Cruise, the movie star who uses his fame to shill for Scientology, recently slammed Brooke Shields because she reveals in her recent book that she took an anti-depressant medication to deal with post-partum depression. Cruise, lacking any medical training, assures her and everyone that vitamins would have worked.

Female First reports:

Shields is currently weaning herself off her medication so she and husband CHRIS HENCHY can have another child.

Cruise maintains, "These drugs are dangerous. I have actually helped people come off. When you talk about postpartum, you can take people today, women, and what you do is you use vitamins. There is a hormonal thing that is going on, scientifically, you can prove that. But when you talk about emotional, chemical imbalances in people, there is no science behind that. You can use vitamins to help a woman through those things."
In fact, there is science behind the idea that chemical imbalances produce depression. Scientologists, though, have a deep-seated hatred of everything associated with psychiatry — not just the stereotypical psychiatric counseling, but also any medication designed to treat mental disorders. They reject the "science" behind this in favor of teaching that our souls have been infested with invisible spirits known as "Thetans" by the alien emperor Xenu.

Sure, that makes so much more sense.

from: http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story ... 13,00.html

Shields, 40, has a few choice words to say about Cruise, who recently criticized her for using antidepressants, telling "Access Hollywood" that she's "irresponsible" to say that the drugs helped her. The actress detailed her struggle with postpartum depression in her book "Down Came the Rain."

"Tom should stick to saving the world from aliens," she tells People magazine, referring to his upcoming film "War of the Worlds," "and let women who are experiencing postpartum depression decide what treatment options are best for them."

She also adds that Cruise's own comments are "irresponsible and dangerous." Cruise, 42, is a follower of Scientology, which is against psychotropic drugs and instead advocates vitamins and exercise to treat health and mental problems.

According to news reports, Shields goes one step further, mocking Cruise's May-December romance with the actress Katie Holmes, 26.

"If he wants to see 'Chicago,' I've left him two tickets -- one adult, one child," she says. Shields currently makes her London stage debut as Roxie Hart in the award-winning musical.

And finally Esther.....
http://tcruiseko.ytmnd.com/

(may need a minute to load)

-

"If he wants to see 'Chicago,' I've left him two tickets -- one adult, one child," she says. Shields currently makes her London stage debut as Roxie Hart in the award-winning musical.

BAM! Ms. Shields scores! :yeay:

Tom Cruise spars with 'Today' show host
Saturday, June 25 2005, 02:59 BST -- by James Welsh

An interview with Tom Cruise on NBC breakfast news show Today turned sour when the subject of psychiatry came up.

The interview was supposed to cover a wide range of topics including the new War of the Worlds movie, but when Today show anchor Matt Lauer discussed Cruise's recent criticism of Brooke Shields - who said that she went to therapy and took anti-depressant medicine while suffering from post-partum depression - it was clear that a nerve had been touched.

"I've never agreed with psychiatry, ever," declared Cruise. "Before I was a Scientologist I never agreed with psychiatry. And when I started studying the history of psychiatry, I understood more and more why I didn't believe in psychology. And as far as the Brooke Shields thing, look, you got to understand, I really care about Brooke Shields. I think, here's a wonderful and talented woman. And I want to see her do well. And I know that psychiatry is a pseudo science."

When Lauer pursued the matter, noting that anti-depressants and psychiatric counselling have at the very least seemed to help people, Cruise went on the attack, as demonstrated by the following transcript.

---
LAUER: Aren't there examples, and might not Brooke Shields be an example, of someone who benefited from one of those drugs?

CRUISE: All it does is mask the problem, Matt. And if you understand the history of it, it masks the problem. That's what it does. That's all it does. You're not getting to the reason why. There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance.

LAUER: So, postpartum depression to you is kind of a little psychological gobbledygook —

CRUISE: No. I did not say that.

LAUER: I'm just asking what you, what would you call it?

CRUISE: No. No. Abso— Matt, now you're talking about two different things.

LAUER: But that's what she went on the antidepressant for.

CRUISE: But what happens, the antidepressant, all it does is mask the problem. There's ways, [with] vitamins and through exercise and various things... I'm not saying that that isn't real. That's not what I'm saying. That's an alteration of what I'm saying. I'm saying that drugs aren't the answer, these drugs are very dangerous. They're mind-altering, antipsychotic drugs. And there are ways of doing it without that so that we don't end up in a brave new world. The thing that I'm saying about Brooke is that there's misinformation, okay. And she doesn't understand the history of psychiatry. She doesn't understand in the same way that you don't understand it, Matt.
---

The exchange continued for the rest of the interview, with Cruise at one point calling Lauer "glib." When Lauer pressed the point, stating that he knew people who had had positive experiences with psychiatric treatment, Cruise accused Lauer of "advocating" the use of anti-depressants - a charge that Lauer vigorously denied, noting that he was merely telling Cruise that "in their case, in their individual case, it worked."

A full transcript with video is available on MSNBC.com.

The Today show appearance was just the latest in a round of media interviews by the film star; on Thursday night, Cruise appeared on CBS' late night talker with Dave Letterman. Interest in Cruise-related matters has spiked in the US media of late, with coverage being given both to his romance with Katie Holmes and to his faith in Scientology.

Full transcript and video here
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8343367/

Yeah, all the Cruise stuff is certainly a sideshow, but a little on the celebrity gossipy side, no? Not that I'm not enjoying seeing TC publicly roasted.

As they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. L. Ron's FBI files that our friends at The Smoking Gun http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/06 ... bard4.html have obtained through the Freedom of Information Act do provide a glimpse of the Founding Father.

Hubbard has corresponded with this Bureau and the Department of Justice on several occasions for various reasons, including complaints about his wife and about alleged communists. In one lengthy letter in May, 1951, it is perhaps noteworthy that Hubbard stated that while he was in his apartment on February 23, 1951, about two or three o'clock in the morning his apartment was entered. He was knocked out. A needle was thrust into his heart to produce a coronary thrombosis and he was given an electric shock. He said his recollection of this incident was now very blurred, that he had no witnesses and that the only other person who had a key to the apartment was his wife.

wasn't there a book out in the late 60's or early 70' called Mindbenders; some chap had been kicked out of scientology/left it - and he did an massive ball kicking on them. Though I seem to remember, there was a pitiful sub-text running through the book...it felt like he would run back like a good doggie if the scientologists would let him....anyhoo, I'm sure the more knowledgable among you will help out my ailing and booze soaked memory (sorry, Holiday time and my references go by the wayside :oops: )

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-06-29/
American Psychiatric Association Criticizes Cruise

Tom Cruise has been further criticised for slamming the consumption of drugs used to treat depression during a recent TV interview - by the American Psychiatric Association (APA). The mental health organization has accused the War Of The Worlds star of behaving irresponsibly for labeling anti-depressant drugs a "pseudo science" during a chat with American TV newsman Matt Lauer on the Today show last week. In a statement, the APA says: "It was irresponsible for Mr. Cruise to use his movie publicity tour to promote his own ideological views... (and) deter people with mental illness from getting the help they need. Rigorous, published, peer-reviewed research clearly demonstrates that treatment (of mental illness) works. It is unfortunate that in the face of this remarkable scientific and clinical progress that a small number of individuals and groups persist in questioning its legitimacy." Cruise has also recently blasted actress Brooke Shields for using anti-depressants.

I think the only real controversy over anti-depressents is how often doctors proscribe them - especially to people who only have a minor case of the blues (as it were). Oh, and there is that teensy weensy problem of why they work - but hey, improving one's quality of life is more important...so, bring on the pills (for those that need them) - I personally would prefer to cognitively deal with any problems that I encounter...it gives me an enormous smug sense of well being to be self reliant :lol:

We're not alone in universe, says Tom Cruise

Wed June 29, 2005 9:59 AM GMT-04:00

BERLIN (Reuters) - Hollywood actor Tom Cruise not only battles creatures from outer space in his latest film "War of the Worlds," he also believes aliens exist, he told a German newspaper on Wednesday.

Asked in an interview with the tabloid daily Bild if he believed in aliens, Cruise said: "Yes, of course. Are you really so arrogant as to believe we are alone in this universe?

"Millions of stars, and we're supposed to be the only living creatures? No, there are many things out there, we just don't know," Cruise, 42, said in the interview published in German.

Cruise is a follower of the Scientology church founded by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, and his recent willingness to discuss the faith has raised eyebrows in the media.

Most controversially, Cruise criticized actress Brooke Shields for revealing she had taken antidepressants. An official Scientology Web site argues that people should live drug-free.

Cruise also dismissed psychiatry as a "pseudo science," invoking the ire of the American Psychiatric Association that called the remarks "irresponsible."

But many scientologists feel they are unfairly criticized, arguing that although many believe in the concept of aliens, it is not such an unreasonable proposition, and that the side effects of some medication are not fully understood.

Cruise's new film "War of the Worlds" is based on British writer H.G. Wells' 1898 story of the invasion of Earth by Martians.

Source

Phew, for a minute there i wasn't sure.Cheers Tom. :yeay:

Edit: On a slightly more serious note, surely it would be easier (if aliens were just around the corner and the 'powers that be' knew) to use public figures like well known actors to spread the word? People seem to pay more attention to Hollywood than real life sometimes.

Now Tom...these aliens....degraded or non degraged Thetans? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back