Sea Serpents & Monsters

Re: Irish sea monster?

lordmongrove said:
http://forteanzoology.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/is-this-irish-sea-monster.html

Sea serpent or bloke fishing?
Bloke fishing I reckon. Where is it? Crosshaven?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
That's no excuse for being sloppy, and it doesn't make anyone else less likely to see your postings as a spam blitz ...

A nice new thread for collecting reports of sea serpents and monsters all in one place.

If anybody has a problem with multiple postings, or too much information, or isn't sure where to, or whether to, post a brand new thread, or etc. then probably better to PM a Mod, first. ;)

P_M

Re: Do sea monsters exist?

lordmongrove said:
http://gawker.com/are-there-still-undiscovered-sea-monsters-1503401459
Do sea monsters exist?
Theres already a thread which this post would enhance. I moved your first post there.

Merging again shortly.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...s-the-living-fossil-sighted-in-Australia.html
Rarely seen frilled shark known as the living fossil sighted in Australia

By Agency

8:52PM GMT 20 Jan 2015

The rarely sighted frilled shark - whose ancestry dates back 80 million years and is known as the living fossil - has turned up in waters off southeastern Victoria, Australia.

It was caught on a fishing trawler in waters near Lakes Entrance in the state's Gippsland region.

Simon Boag from the South East Trawl Fishing Association said it was the first time a frilled shark has been sighted in living local memory.

"We couldn't find a fisherman who had ever seen one before," he told local reporters.

"It does look 80 million years old. It looks prehistoric, it looks like it's from another time!"

GNC

King-Sized Canary
According to a forum piece in the latest FT we shouldn't call animals and plants "living fossils" anymore, though I can't see the animals in question would be all that bothered.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
According to a forum piece in the latest FT we shouldn't call animals and plants "living fossils" anymore, though I can't see the animals in question would be all that bothered.
Evolutionarily challenged? Differently evolved? Neither sounds right.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Literally true. I think the point I felt the article in FT didn't effectively express is that we all have qualities that belong to ancient lineages, it's just some animals have qualities that we associate with ancient lineages more because they're rarely seen these days. Those creatures have those qualities because they made it work, and continued to evolve with those qualities, while the rest of us abandoned them and found other solutions to the problems of survival and procreation.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Looks like a skinned beaver. If you'll pardon the expression.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The FT report in the Alien Zoo column declares the "giant salamander" a hoax, the photo was edited to make a normal salamander look larger and of a new species. Oh well.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Carcass found floating in Persian Gulf in 2013, around 40ft long. Probably a whale but any whale-ologists here able to tell?

Details & video here.