• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
And another one!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4959090.stm

Man sets himself alight at garage
A man who doused himself in fuel and set himself alight at a petrol station has been arrested.

The 35-year-old poured petrol over himself and his van and said he was going to light a match at the Tesco Extra station in Broadstairs, Kent.

He set himself on fire when the emergency services arrived, but the flames were smothered and the man was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

The man was arrested on a charge of arson with intent to endanger lives.

The incident happened at about 1430 BST on Saturday.

"..arrested on a charge of arson with intent to endanger lives." Not his day, really.

And another:

Man set fire at Austin hospital, critically injuring himself, forcing evacuations

South Austin Hospital closed to ambulances for part of day.

By Tony Plohetski
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A patient at South Austin Hospital used a cigarette lighter to set himself on fire Tuesday morning, leaving him critically injured and prompting the evacuation of about 30 patients, authorities said.

The hospital closed its emergency room to ambulances for much of the day — they were diverted to other hospitals — and had to reschedule about 20 elective surgeries when water from the sprinkler system flowed into operating rooms, said Dr. Steve Berkowitz, the hospital's medical director.

More than 50 firefighters responded to a call for backup after a patient set himself on fire Tuesday at South Austin Hospital. Some patients were treated for minor smoke inhalation, authorities said.

The patient, whose name was not released, was burned over 25 percent to 30 percent of his body and was transferred to the hospital's intensive care unit, where he was listed in critical condition.

Other patients in the second-floor wing were transferred to vacant rooms at the hospital or placed temporarily in recovery rooms.

"Literally within minutes, patients were appropriately taken out of that ward," Berkowitz said. "It was a terrific job by the nurses. They instantaneously did what they were supposed to do."

Austin Fire Capt. William Brooks said that firefighters got the call about 8:45 a.m. and that units from a station about a block away arrived one minute later. They found smoke in a second floor hall and immediately called for help. Nearly 60 firefighters in 20 trucks eventually arrived at the scene.

"The sprinkler did its job, and it activated and put out the fire quickly," Brooks said.

Berkowitz said that several patients were treated for minor smoke inhalation and that the hospital sent a couple of employees home because of exhaustion. Twelve of the evacuated patients were on the same wing as the fire, and authorities said the other patients were on the same floor and moved as a precaution.

Preliminary reports indicate that the fire caused at least $250,000 in damage.

Fire Department spokeswoman Michelle DeCrane said authorities have not determined whether they will charge the man with arson and are monitoring his condition.

"As the patient was being transferred to intensive care (after the fire), he told several of our staff that he started the fire," Berkowitz said.

Berkowitz said Tuesday afternoon that the man's condition was deteriorating and that doctors had decided against transferring him to the burn unit of Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio.

"Typically burn patients develop multiorgan problems because of the burn," Berkowitz said. "We will do what's best for the patient."

Meanwhile, hospital staff worked to repair water damage. Parts of the hospital had pools of water an inch or two deep; surgery suites on the first floor below the area where the fire broke out were closed for the day after water seeped into them.

Berkowitz said operations scheduled for today will be performed as planned.

"There is a lot of electrical equipment in there, so you want to make sure that it is safe," he said.

www.statesman.com/news/content/news/sto ... 3fire.html

Probably just a hothead.

An individual set themselves on fire on Friday afternoon outside of former President Donald Trump's Manhattan criminal trial.

Several news networks such as Fox News and CNN reported that a man was seen setting himself in flames outside of the courthouse on Friday. Newsweek's reporter Katherine Fung said "we hear sirens from inside the courthouse."

https://www.newsweek.com/person-sets-themself-fire-outside-donald-trump-trial-1892341

This headline now looks unfortunate:

Prosecutors Eager to Put Donald Trump on Hot Seat.​

https://www.newsweek.com/legal-anlalyst-says-prosecution-wants-put-donald-trump-stand-1890401

Probably just a hothead.

An individual set themselves on fire on Friday afternoon outside of former President Donald Trump's Manhattan criminal trial.

Several news networks such as Fox News and CNN reported that a man was seen setting himself in flames outside of the courthouse on Friday. Newsweek's reporter Katherine Fung said "we hear sirens from inside the courthouse."

https://www.newsweek.com/person-sets-themself-fire-outside-donald-trump-trial-1892341

This headline now looks unfortunate:

Prosecutors Eager to Put Donald Trump on Hot Seat.​

https://www.newsweek.com/legal-anlalyst-says-prosecution-wants-put-donald-trump-stand-1890401

According to the Mirror

Police identified the victim as 37-year-old Max Azzarello, 37, hailing from Florida. The sunshine state resident reportedly posted a rambling blog posted shortly before the incident. While it is not known if he is the same person, the blog seemed to take aim at crypto currencies and was not linked to Trump or Biden.
"My name is Max Azzarello, and I am an investigative researcher who has set himself on fire outside of the Trump trial in Manhattan," the site reads. "This extreme act of protest is to draw attention to an urgent and important discovery: We are victims of a totalitarian con, and our own government (along with many of their allies) is about to hit us with an apocalyptic fascist world coup."

He added: "To my friends and family, witnesses and first responders, I deeply apologize for inflicting this pain upon you." Azzarello, who travelled to New York in the past several days, details in his manifesto his beliefs on world corruption, Ponzi schemes and The Simpsons.

The 37-year-old, from St Augustine, Florida, had been holding a sign before the incident, which included a link to a Substack site. A letter on the site was entitled, "I have set myself on fire outside the Trump Trial."
The police department bluntly stated that Max's condition is "not good, but he's alive."

A man who set himself ablaze outside the New York City court where former US president Donald Trump is standing trial has died of his injuries, police said early Saturday.

Max Azzarello, a 37-year-old individual hailing from St. Augustine, Florida, set himself ablaze outside the Manhattan Criminal Courthouse during President Donald Trump’s trial proceedings. Sadly, he has succumbed to his severe injuries and has passed away.

Some comments from Twitter:

What does it say about 2024 when someone literally lights themselves on fire and we’re like whatever.

Every time someone lights themselves on fire I eagerly read their message hoping they have groundbreaking information that would justify such a crazy action to get attention but they never do.

Reportedly he protested agains cryptocurrency ponzi schemes. His substack is still online:
https://theponzipapers.substack.com/p/i-have-set-myself-on-fire-outside

Poor guy! You can find video on Twitter but I didn't look.

In the '80s a man did this in my home town. It was late at night outside a couple of pubs and a row of houses.
There were lots of witnesses who heard him screaming and went outside to look.

While I didn't know the bloke I think about him when I'm along there. What sticks in my mind is that people who saw and heard the incident said he was screaming 'I wish I hadn't done it!' over and over.

In the '80s a man did this in my home town. It was late at night outside a couple of pubs and a row of houses.
There were lots of witnesses who heard him screaming and went outside to look.

While I didn't know the bloke I think about him when I'm along there. What sticks in my mind is that people who saw and heard the incident said he was screaming 'I wish I hadn't done it!' over and over.
I saw a similar thing on Twitter:
I don't think these people who set themselves on fire can comprehend what it actually means. It's not fast. You feel it the whole time. It's worse than you can imagine. You regret it immediately.

I saw a similar thing on Twitter:
I don't think these people who set themselves on fire can comprehend what it actually means. It's not fast. You feel it the whole time. It's worse than you can imagine. You regret it immediately.
I seem to recall that the monk(s) who did it in protest of the Vietnam war just sat there quietly- this could be me being mistaken though of course.

I seem to recall that the monk(s) who did it in protest of the Vietnam war just sat there quietly- this could be me being mistaken though of course.
They assumed the lotus position as if to meditate.
Keeping still in this pose causes the person to inhale smoke and gases along with actual flames.
This will cause suffocation. They will die more quickly than if they move about.

Still a horrible death but over in a shorter time so there's no chance of being thwarted/saved.

There are videos online of this being done. Can remember it being shown on the TV news back in the day.

Back