• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shocking Crimes & Deep-Fried Copper Thieves

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
There seems to be enough of these happing i figured it was worth starting a thread on it.

I don;t know if it's the same in other places, but in the UK there's a lot of stealing cable going on, a lady i worked with a couple of years back used to have her train to work delayed about once a week due to another cable theft.

Possibly i am a really bad person for finding this funny, but then i can;t be doing with thieving :(

County Durham cable theft youth found 'on fire'

An 18-year-old from County Durham was found on fire after trying to steal live electrical cable carrying 11,000 volts, police said.

The teenager, from Darlington, suffered extensive burns to his arms and head during the incident at derelict buildings in Newton Aycliffe.

He was taken to Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary where his condition is described as serious.

A 19-year-old man was arrested and bailed after the incident on Saturday.
'Highly dangerous'

Det Insp Simon Orton, of Durham Police, said: "This young man could have died. He will have to live with the consequences of his criminal action for the rest of his life.

"People who go out to steal copper cabling carrying electricity are putting their lives at risk.

"We have had a number of these types of burglaries recently and we want emphasise that the intruders are putting themselves in highly dangerous situations where death could result from dishonesty."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10256092.stm

Copper thieves risk their own lives and the lives of others.

Flaming hell! The day that Bolton caught fire
Exploding TV sets, kettles in flames, crashing computers. When scenes from science fiction descended on a quiet northern suburb
Kieran Cooke

W hen May Wilkinson, a 65-year-old Bolton housewife, sat with her coffee to watch the 8am news one recent Monday, the first inkling she had that something was wrong was when she heard buzzing and crackling sounds from the plugs low down on the wall.

“Then I saw smoke coming out of the Digibox. You don’t expect your television to go on fire. I called to Albert, my husband, who was in the kitchen. Suddenly the microwave right next to him went up in flames. It frightened him nearly to death.”

The mayhem that hit the Westhoughton area of Bolton was caused by the theft from a nearby electricity substation of small quantities of copper, part of switching gear that regulates power output. Usually, 230 volts of power flows into household sockets but take away the copper regulator and up to 400 volts can suddenly charge down the line, with dire consequences.

Within minutes alarms up and down the Wilkinsons’ road were going off. Householders, many still in their dressing gowns, crowded into the street. There was talk of exploding televisions, fuse boxes falling off walls, washing machines going haywire, boilers dying, computers crashing. An elderly woman was stuck upstairs after her stairlift stopped working.

“There were four or five fire engines outside,” says May Wilkinson. “We spent hours waiting on the street and the whole day and most of that night without electricity as everything was checked.”

Police say that there’s a correlation between rising copper prices on the world market, driven in particular by demand from China, and the incidence of copper thefts from electricity substations and elsewhere. But the ebbs and flows of the metals markets are of little immediate concern to the Wilkinsons and more than 100 other householders in Bolton. Instead they question electricity supply security measures and wonder about who is going to pay for all their damaged household equipment.

Paul Fletcher lives in a street close to the Wilkinsons. “The first thing I noticed was the lights came on extra bright and then they all blew. After that bang followed bang as computers, the TV and the sound system all went. I drove round the streets, hammering on doors to wake people up in case of fires. I calculate that I’ve more than £4,000 equipment that’s gone.”

United Utilities, the UK’s largest listed water company, is the electricity supplier in the Bolton area. Fletcher says the company has told him it is not obliged to pay for damages and asked him to contact his insurers.

“The insurance people say they won’t pay anything because the damage was caused by vandalism — so where do I go from here? Surely someone must be responsible for security at the substations. You just go round and round in circles.”

With police saying that there has been a notable rise in copper thefts in recent weeks, householders around the country could well find themselves facing dilemmas similar to the residents of Bolton. Questions about who is responsible for what in the electricity business are complicated by the industry’s structure, with various utility groups sub-contracting work to other companies, that often subsequently outsource particular functions to other entities.

etc...

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life ... 147819.ece

Still, looking on the bright side, as more thieves get fried, it reduces the amount of stupidity in the human gene pool! :twisted:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1681

Other fried thieves have been logged in 'Dumbest Criminals' recently:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 073#972073

Catalytic converters are the "in" thing to steal at the moment.

A couple of years ago I detained two blokes that I caught literally red-handed stealing copper tubing from a school. While waiting for the Police van to arrive, one of them showed me his rather badly burned hands and boasted that his injuries had been caused when he used a pair of bolt-croppers to steal high voltage cable from an electrified railway trackside installation (a crime that had been reported a few days earlier). Not the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Maybe it's a good job there's so little metal in cars these days, or they'll be nicking them to melt down... or maybe they are already?

BlackRiverFalls said:
Maybe it's a good job there's so little metal in cars these days, or they'll be nicking them to melt down... or maybe they are already?
As Arthur says, cats are the thing - they're said to contain a decent amount of platinum, which is why exhausts on modern cars cost such a price to replace. I've heard of people (although this is only FOAF...) finding their cars with segments of the exhaust cut out.

Funnily, despite the current fad for hybrid cars, I've heard nothing of thieves targetting them for their precious metals (nickel etc in the batteries...). I suppose it's easier to get underneath a car with an angle-grinder than it is to disassemble a Prius.

Even with the relatively high value of scrap, it's more worth a thief's while to seel on a stolen car than scrap it, unlike the situation with cabling or manhole covers, where the raw material value is much closer to that of the finished article.

Either way, I'm with you, BRF - my anger at reading stories of cable-theft is slightly tempered by the pleasure I get from hearing about the scumbags involved injuring or killing themselves. Heartless? Not really. Natural justice.

Leeds cable burns man 'unrecognisable'

A self-confessed metal thief who was seriously burned trying to steal live power cables said his injuries were so bad his daughter did not recognise him in hospital.
James Sorby, 22, of Cavalier Close, Cross Green, Leeds, was left close to death after being hit with a 21,000 volt shock at a power sub-station.
The impact blew part of his skull off, leaving his brain exposed. :shock:

Leeds magistrates gave him a 12-month community service order for burglary.
He said the exact detail of what happened during the incident at Skelton Grange earlier this year was unclear.
He said: "All I can remember is going into the empty warehouse.
"I definitely didn't grab the cabling with my hands because I wouldn't do something like that, but I accept I was there to steal the cabling because there was no other reason for me to be there.

Sorby said ambulance staff cut off his clothes.
"There was blood everywhere. It was coming out of the top of my head, my ears, my nose, and from my gums.
"I was taken to hospital, and the first 48 hours were crucial because that's the time when you're said to 'cook' inside.
"The pain was unbelievable and the doctors told me I only survived because I am so young and fit, which also means my injuries won't take as long to heal.
"If I had been older it would have been a lot worse.

"The skin grafts were horrible and they had to take the staples out of my skin while I was awake.
"One morning when I woke the skin which had been grafted on to my face had stuck to the pillow, and it had to be done again."

He said he had not seen his three-year-old daughter until eight weeks after the incident because he was so badly injured.
He said: "When I finally got to see her, she didn't know who I was.
"It wasn't until she could smell me and hear my voice that she realised I was her dad and not some stranger.
"It was a horrible experience to realise that your own daughter didn't know who you were."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-13678266

Aye, Leeds sure is the place to be at for nicking cables. :roll:

Is there some reason most of these stories seem to be in the north?

BlackRiverFalls said:
Aye, Leeds sure is the place to be at for nicking cables. :roll:

Is there some reason most of these stories seem to be in the north?

A guy I work with regularly gets in late because his train has been delayed. This is because thieves have stolen cables that are part of the infrastructure.

This is in the South East.

There was a guy near here in East Anglia who died stealing copper from and electricity sub station.
It's so sad that someone would that.

They are, it's a well known problem for owners of old cars.

Around here there are a quite a few old firing ranges, I've been told of a father and son team, now deceased, that used to hunt for old ordinance for scrap value.

oldrover said:
I've been told of a father and son team, now deceased, that used to hunt for old ordinance for scrap value.

Too.....many.....jokes....... :lol:

Daft bugger. he won't be trying that again.

Boy electrocuted in 'metal theft attempt' in Leeds

A boy has been electrocuted during a suspected attempt to steal copper cable at a disused Leeds power station.

CE Electric UK said the 16-year-old had tampered with cabling at the site on Skelton Grange Road in Stourton, near Hunslet, on Sunday, 3 July.

His body was discovered by a security guard working for CE Electric UK.

West Yorkshire Police said three youths had been interviewed in connection with suspected theft and that inquiries were ongoing.

CE Electric said it had dealt with 279 incidents of metal theft in West Yorkshire in the last year.

Geoff Earl, head of safety for CE Electric UK, said: "It is believed that the youth died after attempting to steal copper components from our network.

"The circumstances of the incident have had devastating consequences for his family who now have to come terms with this tragedy.

"We cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to tamper with electrical equipment on the network.

"Our sites are clearly marked with 'Danger of Death' signs for a very important reason.

"We are pleading with these thieves to think about the consequences of their actions and how much they are risking for such a small return, especially in light of this tragedy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14028319

Ah, now I was wondering how it was that I was discussing that case with a guy I know who works on another site at Skelton over the weekend when it seems to have just happened, actually, I was mixing it up with another case from about a month back, same place, different idiot.

Btw gnarlyness warning for a colour picture of the guy on the link below - not as bad as it sounds from the description but still fairly unpleasant

Leeds 22,000 volt shock man’s plea

A LIFE-SAVING warning was given today by a dad who was horrifically burned when electrocuted by 22,000 volts – trying to steal copper cabling.

Determined to prevent others making the same mistake, James Sorby, 22, said: “I have been through so much and am still going through it. My message is ‘don’t do it’. Before I did this it was just an idea and there was no danger to it. Everyone thinks it’s so easy and they have no idea how stupid they’re being.”

Sorby, of Cross Green, Leeds, suffered severe burns to his hands and face. His heart was left weakened, the sight in his left eye damaged and he lost movement in one hand.

He endured weeks in hospital, five operations and skin grafts and faces more surgery, including a hair transplant over a skull wound which exposed his brain and where the electric charge exited his body.

James was trying to steal cabling from an electricity sub-station in a disused Post Office sorting office in Skelton Grange Road, Stourton, when the massive charge jumped a gap to his body before he could touch the cable.

At Leeds Magistrates Court he pleaded guilty to trespass with intent to steal on January 27. He is due to be sentenced today.

Prosecuting Ms Vicky Trueman said that despite danger warnings James and two others went to steal cabling from the previously broken open sub-station. He had no chance to steal before being electrocuted. His accomplices called an ambulance. He remembered nothing of what happened. Later exposed copper cabling and flashmarks was found along with blood identified as James’s. He was arrested on May 23 after months in hospital and accepted the offence.

Ms Abbi Whelan said the consequences for James had been “catastrophic”. He walked into the sub-station and was knocked unconscious by the electric shock.

“It will live with him the rest of his life. He did not appreciate what could happen.” He had assisted the police who were eager to alert people to the dangers of the increasing number of cable thefts. He had not been in trouble for nearly two years and was trying to be a role model to his young daughter.

James told the YEP all he can remember is entering the warehouse. “The next thing I remember is the ambulance arriving. I was in a bad way. They cut off my clothes. There was blood everywhere.

The incident had a major impact on James’s mother Diane and sister and a brother, grandparents and his aunt and uncle flew from Australia to his bedside.

“The pain was unbelievable and the doctors told me I only survived because I am so young and fit.”

But James, who had a six month trial as a second row forward with an Australian rugby side, faces further operations to restore movement to his badly scarred hands.

He stressed: “When you think of getting involved in something like this, you don’t think of the danger. Now I’ve been through this I would not wish this on anyone. I’ve been through five months of agony, and this has changed my life forever.”

One of the worst moments was the first time he was allowed to see his daughter after months and she did not recognise his face.

“It wasn’t until she heard my voice she realised I was her dad. It was a horrible to realise your own daughter didn’t know who you were,” he said.

“I think I’ve been given a second chance, but I’ve got to live with what I’ve done every day. Every single day I am reminded. My goal is just to be there for my daughter when she needs me, to get a straight job and possibly begin coaching rugby to young lads. That way I can teach them not just how to play rugby, but how to behave off the pitch. Talking about it is one way I can put things right,” added James.”I m still here and that’s the most important thing.”

Det Chief Insp Mick Oddy of City and Holbeck Division, said: “Metal theft is increasingly popular because of its rising value, but with it comes the life-endangering risks that thieves are taking for the sake of making some quick money. James is extremely lucky to be alive to tell the tale. I hope his story makes people take his advice and think twice before getting involved in metal theft.”

A country wide surge if cable thefts has been mainly triggered by the huge prices being paid for copper and other metals, many of the products leaving Britain for use in India and the Middle East.

YEP

liveinabin1 said:
There was a guy near here in East Anglia who died stealing copper from and electricity sub station.

It's not sad, they are just thieving scum. There's nothing sad about people being too greedy and lazy to work rather than steal for a living.

The thing is, a trip to a sub-station will present a thief with a Russian Roulette scenario, he can take his pick of several busbars or cable links, but they may not all be live, he's not going to know.
If he's well insulated from earth, with a steady hand, he may be able to make a quick clean cut without a massive arc, leaving him with a nice haul for not much graft. If not, he may touch a casing, or even just get close to one, and then BANG!!!! You can feel the electricity in those places, it literally makes your hair stand on end. Someone would have to have massive balls (hopefully not of steel) or be extremely stupid to have a go at pinching copper from them.

Mind you, a piece of good thick copper from a substation around the thickness and length of his arm is going to easily net £500, cash, possibly more these days.

Better than laying tarmac...

LordRsmacker said:
liveinabin1 said:

It's not sad, they are just thieving scum. There's nothing sad about people being too greedy and lazy to work rather than steal for a living.

The thing is, a trip to a sub-station will present a thief with a Russian Roulette scenario, he can take his pick of several busbars or cable links, but they may not all be live, he's not going to know.
If he's well insulated from earth, with a steady hand, he may be able to make a quick clean cut without a massive arc, leaving him with a nice haul for not much graft. If not, he may touch a casing, or even just get close to one, and then BANG!!!! You can feel the electricity in those places, it literally makes your hair stand on end. Someone would have to have massive balls (hopefully not of steel) or be extremely stupid to have a go at pinching copper from them.

Mind you, a piece of good thick copper from a substation around the thickness and length of his arm is going to easily net £500, cash, possibly more these days.

Better than laying tarmac...

Thieves they are, maybe even chavs. But Darwin Awards aside I don't like to see teenagers die like this.

How can they be so stupid though? Is it the chavish parents or incompetent teachers?

There was a story on the local news tonight about possible copper/cable theft causing a huge explosion in a row of houses. The poor home owner had only bought the house at the back end of last year, and had since been doing the place up. As it was her B'day yesterday, she had planned to have a joint B'day bash/house warming this weekend. But there's not really much house left.

Some local expert reckoned that they may have got about four quids worth of copper from the theft.

Apparently, a couple of years ago, copper theft was rampant in south Yorks, however, the local police seemed to have had some success in stamping it out. I have a feeling that it wasn't stamped, more 'shoved' out of one area to the next, judging by the frequency of the news stories about this appearing on Look North.

I have a feeling that it wasn't stamped, more 'shoved' out of one area to the next

Maybe they did it the same way York reputedly sorted out their homeless problem overnight a few years back, by giving them all train tickets to Leeds. :evil:

Cable theft at Liversedge substation

Police believe thieves may have received injuries during at break in at an electricity substation in West Yorkshire.

The attempted theft of cabling caused an explosion or electricity arc in the building on Hightown Road, Liversedge.

Those who broke in may have suffered burns, officers said.

The incident comes after the death of a 16-year-old boy at a substation in Stourton, and a gas explosion in Castleford linked to cable theft.

Anyone with information has been asked to contact West Yorkshire Police.

Insp Tim Holland said: "When these thieves have tried to remove the copper cable from the substation it appears that they caused an electricity arc or some sort of explosion within the building.

"It would therefore be a very lucky person who came away from something like that without any sort of injury.

"We would appeal for anyone who knows of someone who has suffered recent and mysterious burns or injuries to their hands or face, to call us."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14139123

Scrap metal dealers face curbs as cable thefts increase
Scrap metal merchants could be banned from paying in cash as the rail and telecommunications industries are hit by an epidemic of cable thefts.
By David Millward
6:55AM BST 14 Sep 2011

Ministers will consider overhauling legislation dating back to the 1960s at a summit in Whitehall today as they come under pressure from a number of industries to tackle the trade in stolen copper.
Rail has been worst hit by the spate of thefts that has increased as the value of copper has risen on the world markets.
The phenomenon is also causing increasing concern to the telecommunication and electricity distribution industries.

Such is the scale of the problem that six Whitehall departments will be attending the meeting.
Representatives from the Treasury, Home Office as well as the departments of Energy, Environment and Business will join Norman Baker, the local transport minister at the Whitehall summit.
The focus will be on the 1964 Scrap Metal Dealers Act, which many industries now believe is inadequate to deal with the problem of cable thefts.

Options under consideration include licensing scrap metal dealers, banning them from dealing in cash and giving police powers to close rogue traders down.
Other curbs could include require anyone selling scrap to provide proof of identity.
Ministers have been told by a number of industries that it is no longer viable to treat scrap metal dealing as a “cash in hand no questions asked industry.”

BT for example has suffered a 12 per cent rise in cable thefts this year.
“Elimination of the market for stolen metal is critical in the fight against cable theft and to help achieve this tighter regulation is required,” said Luke Beeson, general manager at BT security.
“We are asking government to review the 1964 Scrap Metal Dealers Act and bring it up to date.
"A review could provide local authorities and Police with more powers to govern the industry for the benefit of local communities across the UK, who are being impacted by malicious attacks on national infrastructure.”

However it is the rail industry which is suffering particularly badly, with services crippled by the theft of cabling used for signalling.
Last year it is estimated that cable thefts on the railway alone cost the British economy more than £1 billion, causing 16,000 hours of delays.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... rease.html

This is f*cking grim, lengthy article so I won;t cut'n'paste all of it but well worth reading through.

Also, according to their graphic, the NE is the top area for thefts with nearly twice as many as the next region down, and the 2nd worst for theft/arrests ratio after Scotland.

Sounds like the b*ggers are nicking anything they can:

Public artworks are increasingly being remade of fibreglass as a result of metal thefts. Not only is stolen work being replaced this way, in some cases public art is being taken into secure storage for safety and replaced with a fibreglass copy.

"It's a solution to an extremely depressing situation," says Peter Brown, chairman of the Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PSMA). "What thieves don't seem to understand is how little metal there usually is in artworks and statues. They will make hardly any money from them. With the cost and effort of stealing them, you wonder why they bother."

But in some cases it is impossible to make replicas because the statues are too old and no original plans exist.

Blackpool Council has been forced to remove public artwork to safeguard it following two major thefts in July and August. Three of four lead-based figures were taken from a park where they had stood since 1926.

Two weeks later a section of one of two statues designed by Sir Peter Blake was stolen from the promenade. The remaining artworks are now in secure storage. The council says they will all be replaced with replicas.

"It's devastating," says Elaine Smith, chairwoman of the Blackpool Civic Trust. "These statues are part of Blackpool's heritage. To us they are priceless and these thieves will get a few pounds in cash for them."

It's not only artwork that is being changed. Surrey County Council now replaces missing road signs with plastic ones.

The unexpected

Councils have reported streets being stripped of drain covers and supermarkets have lost hundreds of shopping trolleys in a matter of days. Letterboxes, charity clothing banks and door handles have also been taken.

And it seems nothing is off limits. Police have had reports of wheelchair ramps being stolen and children's playgrounds being stripped. Blackpool's model village, a popular tourist attraction, was even targeted.

"The small lead roof tiles on the miniature houses were stolen. The metal thieves are taking everything, I've never known anything like it," says Smith, from the Blackpool Civic Trust.

A quarter of Hertfordshire lost its broadband connection last year because of telecoms cable theft.

Lambeth Council in London has been forced to close a library after it was flooded in heavy rain because thieves stole the copper roof. The lead in the lettering on gravestones and memorials at a local cemetery have also been taken.

"It's appalling that thieves should target public buildings like libraries," says councillor Florence Nosegbe, a cabinet member for culture on Lambeth Council.

"But it's one thing to steal the copper from the roof of the library, it's another to damage memorials of loved ones by ripping out the lead lettering at the crematorium. This was a truly shocking and heartless act, for what would be only a few kilos of scrap metal."

At least scrap cars are worth something, better than having to pay to have them disposed of environmentally.

Weird thing is that it's probably harder work sneaking into difficult to access places to nick the copper than it would be to work in a factory or driving or something.

I am always being delayed in and out of London by metal thefts on the train lines.

I hate the way some people put more effort into illegal activities than it would perhaps take to do something honestly.

Not a UK incident, as it's rather special i'll throw it in anyway:

When the two men showed up at the scrap yard in Pennsylvania with chopped-up steel beams and grating, nothing seemed initially suspicious.

After all, it is not unusual for men to show up with hundreds of pounds of metal in the back of a pick-up truck, an employee of the yard tells the BBC.

But the following month, police determined the men had stolen the steel from a bridge in an isolated wood in rural Pennsylvania, and people familiar with the scrap metal business and theft cases say it may be the first reported case of a bridge being cut down, stolen and sold for scrap.
:shock:

And sold for marginally over 5% it's value as a bridge.

Investigators with the Pennsylvania State Police put the word out, and two days later, employees at a nearby industrial metal recycling yard, Ferrotech Corporation, reported they had bought 31,000lbs (14 tons) of steel matching the missing bridge for $5,179 (£3,287), in several transactions in September.

The bridge had been worth about $100,000 (£63,571), and officials with New Castle Development have told local news media they are unsure whether they will be able to replace it.

An employee at the scrap yard told police that Alexander Jones, 25, said he and his brother Benjamin, 25, had been given permission to cut up the bridge and sell it. On Monday they were arraigned on felony counts of theft, criminal mischief, receiving stolen property and conspiracy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15344442

Leeds road in £200,000 cable theft blackout

Thieves plunged a Leeds road into darkness stealing lamp-post cabling worth a total of £200,000.

The raiders, who could have caused serious accidents, struck over more than a mile of the East Leeds Link Road, east of Cross Green, Leeds.

The thieves may have masqueraded as workmen dressed in flourescent waistcoats to deflect suspicion as they repeatedly returned to the dual carriageway and attacked the lamp-posts.

They broke into the lamp-posts on either side of the recently constructed A63 dual carriageway which links Pontefract Lane to the M1.

Click here to register and have your say on the stories and issues that matter to you

All the lamps on the outbound carriageway were attacked over a mile and others on the city bound side were also targeted during several raids leaving the isolated road in semi-darkness.

Experts believe they used a vehicle to not only carry away the valuable copper cabling, but also to pull it out of the ground.

When the cabling snagged underground, the thieves dug down and to release it.

Police think it likely the thieves struck during the night and had the technical confidence to carry out the theft when the lamps were illuminated.

Police have increased patrols and made checks with scrap metal dealers.

Council executive member for development Coun Richard Lewis said:“These acts are not only putting the lives of drivers at risk, but also the lives of anyone walking along a section of road which is being left in darkness and with live electrical cables exposed.”

Yorkshire Evening Pest

I think their spellchecker turned competence into confidence :lol: but they have a point, these guys knew what they were doing.

I'm not so sure they used a spell checker - I mean... 'flourescent'?

Back