• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
JerryB said:
one wonders why the odd sounds or music is used as part of the 'message'.
So they know they're listening to the right message - it would be confusing if you listened to what you thought was the correct message and got "enlarge the red pineapple on tuesday" instead of "follow the polish ambassador tonight"!

But surely any agent listening in would know that he/she was tuned into the right station? After all, one assumes that the frequency is known to the agent beforehand.

It seems that the "number readers" also performed their trick over a weird kind of telephone line. I have this spine-chilling article, and below I give you the salient points.

THE ANOMALIST: 1 Summer 1994
The Numbers Game by Martin Cannon, page 34

(...) The telephone company invented loops to serve some arcane testing purpose which need not concern us here. The important point is that 99.9999% of the time the lines lie dormant -- officially. Unofficially, they're a phreak phantasia. Imagine phone lines connected to no telephone, lines that "float" somewhere in the central office of the Telco (if you'll forgive the lapse into phreak-speak). Loops come in matched pairs, and the numbers usually occur in the upper strata of an exchange. Thus, if you dial (212) XXX-9977, you'll speak to whoever might be waiting on (212) XXX-9978.

(...) Then I heard The Voice. Actually, The Voice was preceded by The Tone, a subtle electric buzz somewhat akin to the sound you hear when you hold a seashell to your ear. This faded away, gradually replaced by a young, male Voice reading numbers. "27...28...29...27...28...29...27..." During the next few weeks, I heard The Voice many times; after awhile, it seemed to take over the entire loop universe. Roughly every second or third call would connect me to the same tenor orator, constantly repeating a series of two-digit numbers. As I recall, the numbers never dipped below 20 or above 60. The Voice did not acknowledge anything I said to it. Was it a machine? Perhaps --although this was no simple tape loop. Every so often, the voice would interrupt its strange soliloquy and shout: "Wake up out there!" Then more numbers.

(...) More rarely, I heard gibberish sessions -- the odd, sped-up instructions in a strangely familiar foreign language. At least, it sounded like Spanish. Part of the problem resulted from the rapid-fire delivery-- during the "Spanish" lessons, my telephonic narrator never paused for punctuation. Even if you play a dialogue tape at faster-than-normal speed, you'll usually hear some conversational caesura. Why none here? I had to know what was going on.

(...) Had other phreaks also heard these strange messages? A few had. They were just as puzzled as I. Moreover, the telephone company couldn't provide any official explanation-- it doesn't even like to admit that loop lines exist.

(...) One morning I was awakened by a telephone call. And Number-Man answered: "Wake up out there!" Followed by numbers. He may even have slipped me a bit of the Speedy Gonzales material; I can't recall at this date. But, as you can imagine, the situation struck me as tres freaky. Apparently, Number-Man had my number.

(...) Eventually, I rationalized Number-Man as "one of those things," although no one I met who was learned in the telecommunicative arts could ever explain to me just what kind of thing I had encountered. Then I read Keel and Steiger. They knew of Number-Man, and they tied him in with UFOs. (...)

uair01 said:
(...) Eventually, I rationalized Number-Man as "one of those things," although no one I met who was learned in the telecommunicative arts could ever explain to me just what kind of thing I had encountered. Then I read Keel and Steiger. They knew of Number-Man, and they tied him in with UFOs. (...)

About an hour ago I was reading John Keel's Mothman Prophecies. Specifically, the part where he describes this strangeness. :shock:

JerryB said:
But surely any agent listening in would know that he/she was tuned into the right station? After all, one assumes that the frequency is known to the agent beforehand.

So would the Enemy and any number of other spies if only the frequency were used to identify the broadcast part of the code.

Since the simple Caesarian cypher (a=b, b=c, and so on) crytography has become so complex and multi-layered it would make your head explode if you actually knew what was going on.

The humble book code mentionned at the beginning of this thread is inadequate for serious purposes because all you have to do to find the book is rummage around--Our Man in Havana gives a good idea of how easy this is and what the consequences can be.

Given enough time and motivation, there is no reason why a single numbers transmission could not carry several channels of informatin, some obvious but secure, like the numbers, some mechanical and meant only for machines, and some so craftily hidden as to be impossible to detect. Like the Internet, a little something for everybody--a simple code for the spy on the run, more complex codes for more valuable messages, and impossible to crack mathematical codes allowing supercomputer owners to talk to each other.

I have been thinking of different ways to encrypt my passwords myself. I would like to have a multilayered, multipurpose system that allows me to recuperate my passwords in an appropriate time span regardless of whether I am dealing with my bankcard or a one time login on a website of no particular importance. But memory and time are the great enemies of secrecy. To be simple enough to be memorable, a system would have to be simple enough to crack.

Hence numbers stations, which can service any number of spies with any number and quality of codes and cyphers. It's possible that nobody knows what is being broadcast--a computer may be generating random numbers and another computer turning them into one time pads or something even more elaborate.

I can tell you one thing--since I read about the sort of people who put their password on a sticky note under the keyboard, there is a sticky note under my keyboard which reads "Ceci n'est pas un mot de passe."

By coincidence I stumbled on this information. It's in a book about "remote viewing".

(...) There was one question that the CIA really wanted answered. It was known that the KGB spy probably received his instructions in code via short-wave radio. How did he decode these messages? It was decided to let the PSI spies at Fort Meade have a go.

(...) When in a second [psychic] attempt at the same man, Mel Riley also came up with a pocket calculator, Everheart was sure he had discovered an instrument for the decoding of information. It was known that KGB agents frequently used pocket calculators to code and decode messages, and some of these were even equipped with special cryptographic chips. Enquiries in South Africa revealed that one of the officers who had interrogated the unknown man had actually found a pocket calculator on him and had taken it home. Even though the use of the calculator for the purpose of decoding was never confirmed, Everheart was convinced that that was what it had been used for.

Source: Elmar R. Gruber, Psychic Wars, p. 69-70

I have been a shortwave listener since the mid 80's and have heard many of these broadcasts. Some of the tried and true frequencies are published in magazines such as "monitoring times" I regularly find them on 7540, 4670,4742,5812(this one is often used),8418,6802, and a search for "spy numbers" will yield many more of the most recently used frequencies.
During the early daytime they are usually on higher frequencies than these, since signals travel better up there than at night , while low frequencies work best during the day.

taras said:
Something that amused me when I first got a digital radio was the channel that only broadcast bird noises, all day... I found out it is actually because there used to be a channel on that frequency (Classic FM digital) but it stopped broadcasting and they replaced it with that loop of birdsong.

Hmm, I wonder if it is common to use birdsong as a 'placeholder' broadcast? I distinctly remember tuning into a birdsong channel at an early age (about 13-15 years ago) for a period of a couple of months until I couldn't find it any more. Hadn't really thought about it for a long time until I read the above post

I recently bought a radio scanner - one of those impulsive purchases off ebay - and had tried finding some of these number stations - it was randomly discovering a web page or two about them that got me looking on ebay for scanners in the first place...

I've not yet stumbled across one, although I've checked many of the common frequencies at common times.

Do you need to be geographically near (ie same country) to pick them up?
I'd have thought not, that's why they're at such low frequencies to begin with to make them travel much further - no point if spies could only send 20 miles.

Or might it be because I'm only using a handheld scanner with standard antenna rather than a 20 foot pole?

I'm just curious...

Steve.

You don't have to be anywhere near a shortwave transmitter to recieve the broadcast,stations from all over the world come in easily even over the whip antenna most radios are equipped with. I regularly listen to the middle east, south america, russia,australia and europe with ease.

I think whoever uploaded this:

http://www.archive.org/details/ird059

deserves a smart badge of some kind, the fortean equivelent of a Blue Peter badge.

It's the 4cd "Conet project" recordings, in full, on archive.org. It's a great resource anyway, all the better for this find!

The "Gong_station" specifically has my neck hairs standing on end.

Good find!

The oriental one and the swedish rhapsody are truly scary.

Number Stations on VOIP...

Mods, I know we have a number stations thread, but all my searches have turned up 5553 matches. Please move this if'n you know where the hell it goes....

[Emp edit: OK - all fixed now]

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/01/2332251&from=rss

Apparently the numbers stations are getting with the times....

(EDIT-Damn, you found that fast! Thanx, Emps)

Number Stations on shortwave radio

Caught an interesting program on Radio 4 the other day, Tracking the Lincolnshire Poacher. The Lincolnshire poacher in question is a 'Number Station', one of a number of mysterious broadcasts picked up on the fringes of shortwave radio by enthusiasts.
It plays a tune, and then a computer generated voice reads out a long series of numbers, in sets of five. There are many of these stations, broadcasting over large, semi-global distances from places all over the world, like China, Cyprus and Cuba.
Some shortwave enthusiasts, interviewed on the program, have spent much of their lives collating and studying the broadcasts. Some are regular ('you could set your watch by them'), while some come at random times. They're in various different languages.
No-one has admitted to making the broadcasts, and the concensus among the conspiracy minded is that they're broadcasts, in code, from secret service organisations to their agents, worldwide. The theory is that anyone can pick up a radio signal, so the agent can't be traced, and radio receiving equipment looks fairly innocuous. Then, perhaps, the agent has a 'single use pad', a piece of microfilm with a set of numbers of which his is the only copy, apart from one at headquarters. By subtracting the broadcast numbers from the pad, a new set of numbers is arrived at, from which a simple code is broken.
What do you think?

I caught a part of the programme. Eerie to actually hear some of these things, especially the one with the odd chimes and little-girly voice.

I don't know what to think but I'm hoping this thread has some suggestions! :)

Ah, I forgot to do a search before posting. Thanks, James !

I first read about 'number stations' a few years back and thought it was fascinating but what I don't understand is why would they be needed?
With all the high tech communication methods these days why use number stations to contact agents?

Back during my DXing days the word on the street was that the numbers stations broadcast to the Cuban underground from transmitters in Miami, Florida, the Virgin Islands and Porto Rico.

I have a vision of red-eyed, nervous folks in dusty rooms all around the world, stooping over their books as the litany of numbers continues into the early hours.

"Please God, let it be tonight! I've got my lucky marker, my rabbit's foot and my piskie. Come on 46532!"

Should they ever cry House! 'twould be with their dying breath. :?

Maybe at least a few are some sort of grid coordinates to avoid icebergs, storms or something similar?

Mattattattatt said:
Maybe at least a few are some sort of grid coordinates to avoid icebergs, storms or something similar?

But would such a system be kept such a dark secret for decades?

And who actually uses such a systen if it's such a cloak-and-dagger mystery?

There's no evidence that passenger ship captains, merchant mariners and/or meteorologists know anything about it and they'd surely be among the individuals most affected.

I wonder if some of the Numbers Stations could simply be perverse hoaxes, with no other intent than to confuse people.

All you'd need is several thousand numbers recorded on a continuous tape-loop fed into a 200-watt shortwave transmitter.

It wouldn't cost much. The electric bill for a 200-watt transmitter is going to be exactly the same as for two 100-watt lightbulbs. A watt's a watt for a' that.

JamesWhitehead said:
I have a vision of red-eyed, nervous folks in dusty rooms all around the world, stooping over their books as the litany of numbers continues into the early hours.

"Please God, let it be tonight! I've got my lucky marker, my rabbit's foot and my piskie. Come on 46532!"

Should they ever cry House! 'twould be with their dying breath. :?

I like JW's interpertation of a floating Illuminati bingo game. It passes the "it should be true, because it gives me the giggles" test.

Could it also be the case that the military continue with such broadcasts merely so they can check shortwave radio equipment whilst abroad or for training purposes. for instance, whilst piloting a ship at night each buoy inthe water has a pattern of flashes that it emits to identify who it is. Could such signals be used in a similar way.

I say this because my grandfather was a singal man in the Navy and even recently he used to listen to Morse code transmissions on shortwave and decode them, they were all either Naval cadets practising over the airwaves or broadcast for some kind of trainign purpose. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the idea of spy communication but have to admit that in this day and age there are probably methods completely "silent" to all ears other than the inteded target.

Does anyone know if there has ever been any official comment on these stations from the US or British govts?

dr_wu said:
Does anyone know if there has ever been any official comment on these stations from the US or British govts?

Back during the days when these broadcasts seemed limited to the general Caribbean area there was a sort of tacit agreement that the CIA was involved.

I've just listened to the radio programme and it's fascinating stuff. I remember finding the odd weird broadcast while twiddling the dial as a kid, and the news that not only are these stations still around but steadily growing more popular is strangely disturbing.

I think it's the knowledge that there's an intelligence behind all this, but completely unfathomable that makes it so unsettling. What possible purpose could playing a worn out tape of gongs sounding have? After decades, yet?

The Wikipedia article is worth revisiting. Now there's a signal transmitting a loop of data accompanied by Yosemite Sam out there.

Some poor sap has to play those gongs until he gets it right?

What I was told years ago by a more veteran DXer is that the "gongs" are the audio equivalent of a television test-pattern (remember those?), used as a sort of place-holder by a station which regularly uses that frequency but is off the air at that time of the day.

It probably also helps that few would want to listen to the gongs or other sinister sounds for long before getting freaked out and retuning.

I'll have you know that I've listened to those short wave gongs for hours on end and I'm still perfectly normal.

Yes, Grand Illuminated Galaxy Imperators, I hear and will of course immediately obey.

Back