Somerton Man: The Tamam Shud Mystery

I hope they find his heritage. I feel like I know him, having walked by the concrete seawall he died under many times. Every time I did, I contemplated his parents and what they might have hoped for their lost son. What were their dreams and goals for him when he was a boy? Nobody deserves to be isolated in mortuity like that. He needs a home. Even after all these years.

Petebowes

Fresh Blood
Good morning.
I'm new here after being pointed to your site by my publisher. As it happens I've just completed and have had a modest book published about this mystery. It took five years of research, including many contacts with the detective in charge of the cold case, Gerry Feltus.
The book is a fiction but almost every aspect of the mystery has been covered. The code, the nurse, her sudden departure from Sydney, the army lieutenant, the Rubaiyat itself, the meetings in the Clifton Gardens Hotel, and of course the dead man himself. Where he came from, what he did, how he died and who killed him. Why he was killed, how he was transported to the beach, how the Tamam Shud slip ended up in his fob pocket, what the tools in his luggage were used for, the reason he had no spare socks in his luggage ..... and more. How he met the nurse, who introduced them, why he followed her to Adelaide.
The lot.
Every question answered.
It's on Amazon, ebook and softcover and as cheap as chips. Two reviews up already, both good.
Thanks to you good folks, more people are being drawn into this fascinating mystery, one day we might learn the truth, in the meantime we can read the fiction.
Thanks for the opportunity to put in a plug. We all love a mystery, right?
The book is titled 'The Bookmaker from Rabaul'

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
@Petebowes I've just bought your book via Amazon Kindle. My pre- Da Vinci Code / Hunt for Red October perspective would've been to reject a format which interlaces fact with fiction, but, I do see how it can work (in some respects).

All of 'real' past history and current reported media events is just a selected narrative, in any case, so I should be less pre-biased in my prejudices.

Be prepared for feedback...but that's why you called-in to the shop. Welcome, and thank-you (so far) for having ignored Homer's advice on Trying.

It's certainly a thorough look at the case. I find those two a little hard going at times, but there's much to like, and their enthusiasm for their subjects seems genuine. As they concluded, the circumstances around TSM's death could have involved mystery and intriuge, or merely appear that way. The approach to the original post-mortem examinations seem a little quirky but as most of the paperwork has been mislaid I wonder if any more progresss can be expected.

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Here's a February 2018 article that largely covers the same points as the one cited in the post immediately above ...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifes...k=9e11ecfccfafcae47740dc99690eeab8-1525881612

The article cited above dates back to December 2017, and states Abbott had found the three hairs from the plaster mask and was still intending to submit them for DNA analysis.

This February 2018 article seems to indicate they were able to get some DNA results from those hairs, which implies this article originated later.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
It was a really interesting article... I was just coming here to post that link as I catch up with my NS reading so you have saved me a bit of effort thanks. In summary - nuclear and mitochondrial DNA were found but were in fragments. They are trying to find markers that will show them where they go in the man's genome so it can be reassembled. Abbot had failed to get them exhume Somerton Man's body once but is keen to have another go as he thinks he has a better argument for it being in the public interest. I'm not so sure.