• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Sonic Boom' & Mystery Aircraft?

Mystery as 'sonic boom' noise shakes homes in south west

A sonic boom-type noise has been heard across the south west of England which made homes and windows shake.

People took to social media at about 15:00 GMT to report the "huge bang" that lasted several seconds.

It was heard in the Dorchester and Weymouth areas in Dorset and also Taunton, Bridgwater and Wellington in Somerset and parts of Devon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-56468252

Anyone hear this?

There's just been something on the 11.30pm news on LBC radio saying it could have been linked to a meteor sighted over Jersey. I only half heard the report, so didn't get any further details. At least it doesn't look like it was a weather balloon bursting, or anything akin to that.

Oh for goodness' sake, right over me and I didn't notice it!!!

More footage of the meteor
Umm.......isn't that linked news item referencing a boom that happened.....last month?? According to the inserted date:time code??

I mean: if it's actually still up there, three weeks later, we have something really interesting on our hands...!

Screenshot 2021-03-21 105506.jpg

Oh for goodness' sake, right over me and I didn't notice it!!!
'Hi Bugmum,'Seems like it's being laid to rest as having been a meteorite!
I think that's just to quell it being questioned any further myself, as the boom seemed to have lasted for more than just a few seconds according to reports, accompanied by a bright light over a very wide area apparently!

Umm.......isn't that linked news item referencing a boom that happened.....last month?? According to the inserted date:time code??

I mean: if it's actually still up there, three weeks later, we have something really interesting on our hands...!

View attachment 37018
You are correct, sorry, the article is about yesterdays meteor the footage however is from january.

The Chelyabinsk meteor made a terrific boom, which shattered windows and injured several people; this may have been a smaller version of the same.

This satellite image seems to have captured the event; rather than happening over Jersey, it happened above Minehead, but it was too cloudy to see from the ground.
Instead at least two people saw it from Jersey, where the skies were clearer.
meteor.png

(credit Simon Proud and Will Gater)

Reactions: Sid
This satellite image seems to have captured the event; rather than happening over Jersey, it happened above Minehead, but it was too cloudy to see from the ground.
Instead at least two people saw it from Jersey, where the skies were clearer.
View attachment 37030
(credit Simon Proud and Will Gater)
I wonder what the odds are of two meteorites coming down in one area less than 150 miles apart, and both falling within twenty days of each other?

Last edited:
I wonder what the odds are of two meteorites coming down in one area less than 150 miles apart, and both falling within twenty days of each other?
Sometimes they break apart as soon as they hit atmosphere. They may have a similar trajectory.

Well, the Shoemaker-Levi 9 comet broke up into a 'train' of pieces that hit Jupiter over a number of days, between July 16 and 22, 1994.

640px-Shoemaker-Levy_9_on_1994-05-17.png

The planet rotated while this was going on, however, so none of the pieces fell in the same place. The same would have happened with Earth. Even if these two meteors were from the same 'train', they would be unlikely to hit at exactly the same longitude, even if the latitude remained the same.

Well, the Shoemaker-Levi 9 comet broke up into a 'train' of pieces that hit Jupiter over a number of days, between July 16 and 22, 1994.

The planet rotated while this was going on, however, so none of the pieces fell in the same place. The same would have happened with Earth. Even if these two meteors were from the same 'train', they would be unlikely to hit at exactly the same longitude, even if the latitude remained the same.
That was an amazing sight.. That would have been toasters for Earth big time if we got hit by that one. :(

I

Though headlines state that the Winchcombe meteorite was the first in thirty years, and that nothing like it had ever been recorded in the UK before. So, if any fragments are recovered from the Minehead Meteorite, they would have to match up with the 4.6 Billion year Winchcombe specimen? Could be really interesting should they find a fragment!

It's a shame there isn't more details on the 'strange looking craft' spotted by a couple of people in the sky. Perhaps they mis-identified a meteor?

Back