• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spontaneous Fire After Using Ouija Board (IHTM)??

J

jacksondavies19

Hi, i am a new poster here, but after reading through all of this i feel like i should add my (only) supernatural occurence.
First, a bit of backstory. I am a student in Bournemouth, and this happened only a couple of months ago (possibly April or May 2004?). I dont know if you remember, but Derren Brown did an apparent live TV Ouija Board, and we (me and three housemates) saw this advertised on TV, so decided to make a board.
We were all geared up to do it, and let me just say here that i didnt believe in Ouija Board - i was a subscriber to the theory of tiny muscle movements mixed with subconcious minds spelling out the words.

So, the show came on, we turned down the lights and did a bit of the board. For some reason, we only seemed to get a reaction when i was involved. It was general stuff, like yes and no, then it started always going to "U". It didnt matter who else paired up, it was just me that seemed to make it work. After a while, i gave up, mostly beacuse i was scared. Not of anything in particular, but just a general sense that i shouldnt be doing it.

So, a couple of hours later, we had stopped using the board in favour of watching crap TV. I was sober this night as i dont like to drink that much, but some of my housemates were a little drunk. I was sat in a chair furthest from the TV (and where we did the Board), when i suddenly felt an intense burning sensation on my leg. I jumped up and saw that an area of my jeans on my thigh was on fire, so i slapped it with my hand. This didnt put it out so i just got out of the trousers in the middle of the living room, much to my friends' surprise. I am anticipating some questions, but i would consider myself as a sceptic with a healthy interest in the paranormal. My jeans (which are thick, heavy denim made by Mecca, if it is important) now have a two inch wide oval hole in them. My skin was not affected at all though.
First, there were candles in the room, but the nearest one i would estimate to be at least four feet away from me at the time. I am a smoker, but wasnt smoking at the time and had no lighter or matches near me, so that couldnt be the source of ignition,
Has anyone else got any ideas on what might have happened?
Please reply, thanks.
Jackson

I wouldn't stress about not having a reply straight away, some threads are slow burners (no pun intended). :)

What do you think may have happened, do you think it was a paranormal occurence? you seem to have ruled out the possibilty of being next to a flame or source of.

Could it have been an ember of some sort (a piece of candle wick, match spark) that happened to fall on you and as your jeans were made of thick material, it took some time before catching fire?

Maybe you're just really HOT - get ye to the members' photo thread!

In seriousness, you have linked the ouija board experiment with the burning trousers incident. You'd say they were definitely connected?

I dont think it was a highly spiritual thing, just that there was no real cause for it. I read a bit about spontaneous combustion, in particular the wick theory so thats probably most likely. I wish more paranormal stuff would happen to me........

I am kind of in two minds whether there is any truth in Ouija Boards, mystically. Personally i would say im more interested in cryptozoology, and i did spot a big red worm once. Maybe ill post that later.

Cheers for your replies guys.

I have read of peeps who have seemingly burst into localised flames, sometimes from limbs but normally from the abdomen.

They often seem not to feel any pain and may even appear to be in a trance, so that they only notice when someone points out the fire to them.

There's an account of this in one of the Arthur C Clarke books.

if there were candles in the room i reckon a tiny bit of wick could have detatched and started floating around, settling unfortunately on you.

btw my cousin goes to bournemouth :)

ha ha a local! I live very near bournemouth.

anyhoo, since you were watching that Derren Brown thing you would have known that the oija board was successfully faked by the unknowing partcipants? Buts thats probably another thread entirely...

Back