• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spooky Happenings Afoot Last Night

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Late last night, when everyone in the house was asleep except me, some odd things began to happen.

For convenience, I'll describe the layout of the house and where everyone was sleeping, hopefully it will give a better idea of what it was like: The bedrooms are on one side of the house, in an L shape. Our 13 year old son is in the front bedroom, which is next to the living room at the front of the house. The bedroom next to that is shared by my husband, myself and our youngerst child. Mother's room is next in line at the southwestern corner of the house, and our 18 year-old is in the back bedroom at the very end of the hallway. The other side of the house contains the bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, etc. It's a ranch-style house, so it's all on one level and there are no stairs.

I was sleepless as usual, so I was just sitting in our bedroom reading. Some time between 12:30 and 1:00 AM, I heard the door to the back bedroom make a sound. What I mean by this is, the doorknob on that particular door makes a distinctive metallic ringing sound when it's touched. It was very quiet in the house so I heard this clearly. I heard the back bedroom door creak a bit, and some very soft footsteps coming down the hall. I assumed S18 (who had been sound asleep last I checked) had got up for some reason - even thought the footsteps seemed far too soft to be his. I heard the steps go past our room (and our door handle move as it was touched or brushed up against) and into the living room. Again, I didn't wonder much at this. Then I heard the doorknob to the front door rattle and a noise as if someone were opening the front door. This caught my attention, because it would be highly unusual for S18 to go outside late at night, as it makes him nervous.

I listened carefully, because I was on the verge of going out there to ask if he needed anything. Now, as is common in this part of the country, there is a screen door at the front of the house, as well as a wooden one, and while a person may be able to open the wooden door quietly, the spring on the screen door makes a lot of noise. So, I was waiting to hear the screen door, but the sound never came. Instead, there were muffled noises of things being moved around in the living room and kitchen. It sounded random - as if there was no purpose to the movements. I was just about to go out there when the sounds escalated to loud thumpings. My husband sat straight up and said "what's that banging? Is your mother out there?" I said no, I didn't think so because I hadn't heard her leave her room (the door to her room sticks a bit and makes a popping noise whenever she opens it). S13's room (with which we share a wall) had been totally silent, so I didn't think it was him either.

Husband gets alarmed, tells me to stay there and gets up to look around. He comes back and says that everyone is asleep in the usual places and nothing has been moved. I asked if S18 wasn't awake, and he said no, he's sound asleep in his room. By this time I'm beginning to think "burglars", even though that would be extremely rare out here in the country. I go out myself and double check all the bedrooms, the baths, the utility room, anywhere someone might hide. There's nothing unusual though. Also, our dog would have been barking like crazy if a stranger was on the property. I considered going outdoors to check on things, but I found myself fearful. I couldn't bring myself to step outside. It "felt" like someone was around - what I mean is, just as I'd assumed at first it was S18 up and around, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was someone in the house I hadn't accounted for.

My husband went back to sleep (or so I thought) and I tried to sleep too, but I was unsettled enough that it was 45 minutes before I drifted off. My husband, it turned out, had a rather bad night. He told me later that he'd been too nervous to sleep and got up craving a cigarette. He doesn't smoke in the house, though, so he would have to go outside. He just couldn't bring himself to go out there either. He just sat there feeling, as he put it, "unsafe".

According to him, at about 2 AM, there came a tapping at our window. Three distinct taps, "the kind of tap a person would make if they wanted to get someone's attention if they were awake, but not disturb them if they were asleep." I asked if he'd looked out the window. He said "oh, good lord, no!" :eek:
A little while later, the same tapping came at our bedroom door. It happened twice, he said, three distinct taps each time. All he could do was sit there, too scared to go for a smoke or even open the door. (I'm pretty glad I wasn't awake for that part of it!) About 4 AM, the feeling finally went away and the house felt safe again.

I asked everyone else in the house this morning if they'd got up in the night or heard any noises, and they all looked at me as if I was crazy.

I recalled that the last time I'd experienced such strange noises and movements in this house was years ago, at the exact time my great-aunt (whom I mentioned recently in the "dreaming of the dead' thread) passed away. At that time, the doorknobs to each of the rooms had been rattled in turn and things were knocked around. When recalling this to my spouse, I suddenly recalled that yesterday (February 19) was this same great-aunt's birthday. The only problem with the idea that it was a ghostly birthday visit is that it was a little late - it happened just after midnight, so technically it was February 20th.

But all in all, it was a spooky and disturbing night, which I wanted to report here for posterity.
Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Any chance anyone was sleep walking? It sort of sounds the sort of thing a sleep walker would do. I'm assuming that your husband went straight to the living room and may have missed S18 who was already in the process of getting back into bed.

Does anyone else have keys to the house? I would also have a check in the attic and basement if you have one. It's not totally unknown to have people living in your house without the family being aware.

The most simple explanation is that it's the household spook. Whats the history of the house/grounds?

Good story.

Any chance anyone was sleep walking? It sort of sounds the sort of thing a sleep walker would do. I'm assuming that your husband went straight to the living room and may have missed S18 who was already in the process of getting back into bed.

Does anyone else have keys to the house? I would also have a check in the attic and basement if you have one. It's not totally unknown to have people living in your house without the family being aware.

The most simple explanation is that it's the household spook. Whats the history of the house/grounds?

Good story.

Sleepwalking is a good theory, and you're right, my husband did go right to the living room to see what the noise was. I'd be more inclined to think it was a possibility if S18 had ever had any history of sleepwalking, or had been in a different sleeping position when I went to check. He hadn't though - though of course that doesn't mean it's impossible. The main reason I don't think so, though, is that I didn't hear any footsteps coming back down the hallway (where they would have had to pass my door) and did not hear S18's door open or close again.

There's no basement, and if there's anyone hiding in the attic ( :eek: ) they had better vacate by summer, otherwise they will roast up there. But it's pretty inaccesible (it's a small space with no stairs - again, not that it means it's impossible)

My father bought the land and built the house in the 60's, when the land was still quite wild. We've found quite a few paleo-indian artefacts, but there's no other signs of habitation. No ghostly experiences or anything strange regarding the house itself, save the time when my great-aunt passed in 1991. There's only one other thing that's happened, and this has been in the last few months - we kept hearing the sound of someone coming in the front door and plopping down on the couch in the living room. We kept thinking it was my brother, it sounded so much like him - but there was never anyone there. This happened during a period of 3 weeks, then it stopped.

Tonight, everything was quiet and back to normal, luckily.

I was more than a little alarmed about tapping, since I've heard superstitions about "death knocks" but after looking it up, it seems that death knocks are big, booming knocks, not polite taps. Let's hope so, anyway. Brrr.

Perhaps son, 18, has a secret girlfriend who sneaks into the house for a bit of nookie?

Perhaps son, 18, has a secret girlfriend who sneaks into the house for a bit of nookie?

lol, he would be thrilled if that were the case!
But she would have been rather foolish to go knocking around in the house rather than going out the window (the way I used to, in my misspent youth).:p

That is actually a very very good point. Well thought of Myth.

It is, but considering how mopey and hang-dog both teens have been lately about their lack of girlfriends, it's unlikely ( or a superior acting job by S18) ;)

That's an interesting story Ulalume! That sounds very similar to one I think I posted on here a while back where my wife and I both heard someone unlock and open our front door and walk into our old house in Maine. I did jump up and run out to confront the intruder and nobody was there. The front door was still shut and locked and a search of the house turned up nothing....and then back to bed. I no sooner hit the pillow than we both heard the footsteps outside our bedroom door again, and I jumped back up and flung myself out...and again NOTHING. I did an even more thorough search of the house and found nothing unusual and eventually went back to bed. When we heard the footsteps AGAIN, I just stayed in bed, figuring there's really no future in chasing after noises. We heard the footsteps go to the cellar door, and we heard the door open and we heard the footsteps going down the cellar stairs. At the bottom of the stairs was a bolted door that led outside to the back yard. We heard the bolt slide and the door open, scraping against the dirt floor of the cellar. Then nothing more. Next morning we inspected everything and found nothing amiss. The front door, cellar door and the outside door from the cellar to the back yard were all closed. We just heard sounds that have no explanation. It really makes ya wonder!

That's a good point, Rynner, a very good point.

Old Shoe- :eek: That must have been terrifying!

If I am understanding correctly, Ula, the house was built some 50 years ago and has belonged to your family ever since?

I'm just wondering if this was a Stone Tape type of occurrence. Who has occupied S18's room over the past half-century? Could you match the footsteps to any other family member, past or present?

Ulalume, actually it was a little creepy, but I can't say I was terrified. More...unsettled. And curious. I didn't know it at the time, but my wife told me years later that there HAD been some other weird happenings in that old house. The weirdest, I think, was when a friend of ours was visiting the missus and went to comb her hair in the big mirror on the wall of the dining room, next to our bedroom door. She let out a scream and my wife came running. Our friend looked in the mirror and saw the reflection of a man standing behind her!

We had two cats back then. I WAS very aware that the cats did not like being in the dining room. If they were in the kitchen and wanted to go into the living room (or vice versa) they'd hug the far wall of the dining room away from where our bedroom door was. That particular wall (with the mirror hanging on it) freaked those cats out!

Are you or your partner Irish Ulalume?

I'm just thinking that there's a cultural (or genetic/racial?) connection there with some 'knock' type spooks.

Are you or your partner Irish Ulalume?

I'm just thinking that there's a cultural (or genetic/racial?) connection there with some 'knock' type spooks.
Does having Celtic in your background predispose you to hearing knocks?
My friend and I each knew when the other was going into labour because we would hear knocks on the window.

Hi all :)

Rosebud- that's an interesting idea. Maybe the house is just old enough now to start replaying memories? My brother occupied that room for many years and I stayed in it for a while during my late teens. Other than that it's been a sewing room and art studio. The footsteps were light and quick, I'm thinking they sounded feminine - so that leaves my sister, my mother or me. Ooh, that would be eerie, wouldn't it, to have memories of living people wandering around in the house. :eek:

Old Shoe - well, you must be braver than me! And haunted mirrors, brrr. There are no haunted mirrors here to my knowledge, but there was one in my cousin's house. I've been bugging her for permission to write down the story, but she won't give it, she's afraid it might "stir things up", as she put it. But you were certainly brave to keep such a mirror. I wouldn't!

OneWingedBird - no, there's no Irish blood that I know of. OH's background is Scottish, mine is German. I don't know if the Scottish and Irish have any shared legends? I've heard that the knocks tend to run in families but as far as I know, there's no family history of them. I'll ask my mother-in-law to be sure. One side of my family (my maternal grandmother's side) is rife with strangeness, and there are tales of omens and so on, but never any knocking that I recall.

Iris - it's nice that the knocks in your and your friend's case heralded something good! That makes a change from most of the grim stories out there. Maybe they can be a good omen, too.

Since we had three sets of three knocks each, I'm on the lookout for any meaning that may have.
OWB, I'm going to take a look at that thread you linked.

Tremendous account, Ulalume, thank you. What kind of relationship did you have with your great-aunt while she was still alive?

Hello Ulalume

My parents house had alot of old creaky floorboards that often led me into believing someone was outside. One night (must have been 9 years old) I awoke to the sounds outside my room. They sounded like mum or dad was walking along, so I got up and put my light on and checked the time. The noise stopped for about 20-30 seconds and then they began again - a tad slower in their apparent movement. I called out to no reply and bravely went for a look. Nothing out of the ordinary but the sounds stopped. Back in bed I lay awake and listened, the noises returned but seemed quieter. I eventually got bored with this and fell back into sleep.

Thinking back, you could hear strange bumps and similar noises upstairs just has evening became night sometimes. We where always told its the floors not ghosts but even to this day I not totally sure.

Hello Ulalume

My parents house had alot of old creaky floorboards that often led me into believing someone was outside. One night (must have been 9 years old) I awoke to the sounds outside my room. They sounded like mum or dad was walking along, so I got up and put my light on and checked the time. The noise stopped for about 20-30 seconds and then they began again - a tad slower in their apparent movement. I called out to no reply and bravely went for a look. Nothing out of the ordinary but the sounds stopped. Back in bed I lay awake and listened, the noises returned but seemed quieter. I eventually got bored with this and fell back into sleep.

Thinking back, you could hear strange bumps and similar noises upstairs just has evening became night sometimes. We where always told its the floors not ghosts but even to this day I not totally sure.
Mum and Dad doing something other than walking...?

Hi George - I know what you mean about creaky floorboards. We used to live in a wooden Victorian house that was seriously spooky when there was a wind outside. This house, however, is sturdy - nary a creak, even in a storm. Amazing considering it's 50 years old. My dad must have been a good builder.

I have an update which may be related to the original incident. Last weekend, I was alone in the house, except for my youngest, who was taking a nap. I was just enjoying the peace and quiet, when I hear two sharp, heavy thumps from the kitchen.

It sounded very much like somone had come into the kitchen and dropped two heavy grocery bags of canned goods onto the floor. Actually, that's what I assumed it was at first, that someone had come in from shopping and dropped the bags. I went into see if whoever it was needed help and found the kitchen empty. Everyone was still out. I looked around to see if something had fallen, but there was nothing out of place.

I went back to what I was doing and maybe 45 minutes later the noise came again, exactly the same - two thumps. It really did sound like bags of cans. I could even hear them clattering and rolling against each other as they hit the floor. Another check of the kitchen and surrounding rooms revealed (again) nothing. By this time I was remembering the spooky sounds at night, so I was getting nervous. I didn't feel any "presence", though, no sense of having a ghostly visitor.

About an hour later, the sound came again. Exactly the same. Still nothing there. After that all was quiet until the family started filtering back home. The fact that it was a familiar and commonplace noise, easily identifiable, without a "presence" with it, put me in the mind of Rosebud's "stone tape" theory mentioned upthread. Grocery bags had been dropped in that kitchen probably hundreds of times over the years, so maybe it was just a sort of audio memory replaying itself (though why that one, who knows).

It made me think also of what happened in my grandmother's house after she'd passed away. Grandmother's house had three very distinct ghosts, and we could all identify them easily when they were around, though they weren't usually visible. They all had a "feeling" about them that was specific. After grandmother died, we began to hear her footsteps, the sound of her cane on the floor and occasionally her voice calling out. Our aunt who stayed in the house said she heard this much more at night. However, it wasn't really scary, because there was no sense of presence like there was with the ghosts. It just seemed to be sounds repeating themselves.

The sounds in the kitchen were more like this, so if the stone tape theory is accurate, maybe the house is old enough now to start replaying sounds.

Not sure if this was the case with the original incident, though. There was definitely a sense of a presence in the house with that one.

Also, considering my fear that the original incident might presage bad luck, I've been keeping an eye on things. Turns out our luck has been rather better since the incident than it was before, so barring some future disaster, maybe it was a harbinger of good. One can hope, anyway. :)

The sounds in the kitchen were more like this, so if the stone tape theory is accurate, maybe the house is old enough now to start replaying sounds.

Not sure if this was the case with the original incident, though. There was definitely a sense of a presence in the house with that one.

Also, considering my fear that the original incident might presage bad luck, I've been keeping an eye on things. Turns out our luck has been rather better since the incident than it was before, so barring some future disaster, maybe it was a harbinger of good. One can hope, anyway. :)

I'm glad the incident presaged good things, Ula. :)

The house I live in isn't old enough to produce any Stone Tape phenomena but I get Vardoger events fairly regularly. My youngest son has a specific phrase he always uses when he comes in and it is not unusual to hear the key in the lock, followed by the front door opening and closing, and the greeting called out, only to find he is not in the house.

He usually arrives within 20 minutes.

We also get a lot of creaking floorboards and general bangs and thumps, I used to assume it was the neighbours until they were away for a week and the noises kept going! :eek:

I generally find that this increases when I have been wrestling with a problem and have either come to a decision or am just about to. It is like energy building up to get me to act. Perhaps this is what is happening to you.

On the other hand, maybe it was your resident ghost feeling ignored. :cool:

One of my friends has been complaining for the last week about things happening in her house.
A salt lamp that I gave her keeps getting turned off where it's plugged in and when they get up in the morning, the back door, which they always lock, is open.
Last night they went to a local hotel to meet the rest of their family for a meal.
When they arrived, although there were cars in the carpark, there were no people to be seen.
As soon as they got out of the car, they heard a woman's voice say "Hello" but there was noone anywhere to be seen.
As my friend said, if it was just her, she would have thought she imagined it, but her husband heard it as well.

random house sounds experienced during quiet times which your mind is resolving against familiar potential sources / memories ? in other words aural simulacra (tm) ?

I'm glad the incident presaged good things, Ula. :)

My youngest son has a specific phrase he always uses when he comes in and it is not unusual to hear the key in the lock, followed by the front door opening and closing, and the greeting called out, only to find he is not in the house.

He usually arrives within 20 minutes.

It is just what happened to me at lunch time, today! I was preparing some food and I heard the front door being opened, closed and squeaking a bit. I thought it was my husband coming back for lunch. However, I called, no reply. I went to investigate, thinking that he was maybe in a pranksy mood, but there was no-one in the house. He arrived around 10mmn later. Weird

Last edited:
Back