• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
my birthday again

Facebook-monthly-active-users.jpg

It’s weird it’s taken off to quite the extent it has across the world. A clever marketing campaign by Guinness, perhaps...?

Incidentally, apparently some places in the US dye the Guinness green for St Paddy’s day? Anyone tried this vile-sounding concoction...?

It’s weird it’s taken off to quite the extent it has across the world. A clever marketing campaign by Guinness, perhaps...?

Incidentally, apparently some places in the US dye the Guinness green for St Paddy’s day? Anyone tried this vile-sounding concoction...?
Yep, I did many moons ago in NYC. Tasted just the same (the colouring is tasteless) but it was hardly emerald-hued - it looked more like liquidised turf. If you want to see cultural appropriation of the "my gran's friend's dad's brother went to Dublin so I'm legitimately Irish" variety though, that's the place to be. That said, it happens a lot here now, too. Any old excuse for a piss-up, eh?

Last edited:
Yep, I did many moons ago in NYC. Tasted just the same (the colouring is tasteless) but it was hardly emerald-hued - it looked more like liquidised turf. If you want to see cultural appropriation of the "my gran's friend's dad's brother went to Dublin so I'm legitimately Irish" though, that's the place to be. That said, it happens a lot here now, too. Any old excuse for a piss-up, eh?

I've been in a lot of fake Irish pubs all over the world. The most unfake one was in a small town an hour or so out of Tipperary that I never even got the name of, where the landlord gave us our second round on the house on the proviso that it was finished and we moved on before seven o' clock because 'a group' were coming in for their weekly meeting and may not be thrilled at a carload of accents from the home counties.

Fair enough--probably wise--free pint: no hard feelings, governor.

All of this St Patricks Day stuff is cultural appropriation!

Find a non-Irish SJW celebrating it and tell them that!

i had free beers all night at a bar in boston based on my birthday being on st. patricks, even though it was still only mid october (1991 it wouldve been)

i was in chicago for st patricks once, they dyed the river green ...

Last edited:
Well, this is both entirely strange and entirely logical.

I have just discovered that the Russian Orthodox Church, back in 2017, recognised and retrospectively canonised St Patrick of the Irish as a Saint of the Orthodox Communion. I'm assuming the reasoning is that back in the day, this predated the schism between Catholicism and Orthodoxy and there would have been no doctrinal error involved: this guy Christianised a whole pagan country and is therefore worthy of honour despite the possibly regrettable direction Irish Christianity took from the 1000's onwards.

As I got this from the FB page of my favourite Russian folk-rock band Otava Yo, I also suspect that with March 17th imminent, it's a good reason to get the vodka out and drink to the Saint's health on the night (OY normally get together with folkies from Western Europe and do a gig - you ain't seen nothing till you see members of the Pogues on stage with a Russian band, jamming "Sumetskaya" with the Russians while Alexei Belkin reciprocates by singing "Dirty Old Town" in a strong Russian accent).

After some searching I discovered there's even merch - this is the official icon.

1710235924853.png

Last edited:
*engaging human Wikipedia mode*

Padraig/Patrick was originally Romano-British from SW England, perhaps northern Somerset or Devon, when he was taken by slave-trading pirates and transported to Ireland. He rediscovered his faith while in captivity and when he escaped, he travelled to France to study and become a priest and evangelist and returned to Ireland to specifically minister to and convert the inhabitants.

*engaging human Wikipedia mode*

Padraig/Patrick was originally Romano-British from SW England, perhaps northern Somerset or Devon, when he was taken by slave-trading pirates and transported to Ireland. He rediscovered his faith while in captivity and when he escaped, he travelled to France to study and become a priest and evangelist and returned to Ireland to specifically minister to and convert the inhabitants.

Another bloody Sassenach! Pity the snakes didn't eat him.

I don't think he's being claimed as a Russian, although the thought is an amusing and engaging one. (Imagining the Irish Ambassador to Moscow clearing his throat and saying "This wee bit of business with the Orthodox Church making a claim on the Blessed Saint Paddy, so. My Government would require clarification....")

I don't think he's being claimed as a Russian, although the thought is an amusing and engaging one. (Imagining the Irish Ambassador to Moscow clearing his throat and saying "This wee bit of business with the Orthodox Church making a claim on the Blessed Saint Paddy, so. My Government would require clarification....")

Maybe he could present Putin with a bowl of Shamrock which has a venomous snake concealed in it.

I know nobody asked for this... but this is St Patrick's Day as celebrated in St Petersburg, Russia. A highlight of the gig is "I'll Tell Me Ma/Belle of Belfast City" played by Russians and sung in English.

A highlight of the gig is "I'll Tell Me Ma/Belle of Belfast City" played by Russians and sung in English.

This may well be the politest and most elegant version I've heard! including the kazoos! I have a strong urge to minuet or something :)

Great find @AgProv

Last edited:
Simple question. Why aren’t snakes a significant feature of St. Patrick’s Day yet green and copius amounts of drinking are?

Well, this is both entirely strange and entirely logical.

I have just discovered that the Russian Orthodox Church, back in 2017, recognised and retrospectively canonised St Patrick of the Irish as a Saint of the Orthodox Communion. I'm assuming the reasoning is that back in the day, this predated the schism between Catholicism and Orthodoxy and there would have been no doctrinal error involved: this guy Christianised a whole pagan country and is therefore worthy of honour despite the possibly regrettable direction Irish Christianity took from the 1000's onwards.

As I got this from the FB page of my favourite Russian folk-rock band Otava Yo, I also suspect that with March 17th imminent, it's a good reason to get the vodka out and drink to the Saint's health on the night (OY normally get together with folkies from Western Europe and do a gig - you ain't seen nothing till you see members of the Pogues on stage with a Russian band, jamming "Sumetskaya" with the Russians while Alexei Belkin reciprocates by singing "Dirty Old Town" in a strong Russian accent).

After some searching I discovered there's even merch - this is the official icon.

View attachment 74643
Yes, the honor of genocide, killing anyone who did not want to be christianized. What do you think the euphemism of chasing the snakes from Ireland means?

Happy St Patrick’s day one and all.
i have been summoned to a libation with my sons in one of the local hostelries later today.
And, coincidentally, a happy 5th birthday to our Labrador, Paddy, pictured here with his devoted chum, Eric.

IMG_4346.jpeg

Got the family coming round later and, as I usually cook a national themed meal (last two were Greek and Spanish), my DiL suggested something Irish for St. Patrick's day.
So it's going to be slow-cooked beef in Guinness, with carrots, celery, onions and lots of mashed potato for 6. Oh and a small portion made with veggie protein instead of beef for yours truly the chef!
My son can finish the remaining cans of Guinness, as I'm not a fan of the stuff - got plenty of red wine, ale and G & Ts to keep everyone else happy though.

Got the family coming round later and, as I usually cook a national themed meal (last two were Greek and Spanish), my DiL suggested something Irish for St. Patrick's day.
So it's going to be slow-cooked beef in Guinness, with carrots, celery, onions and lots of mashed potato for 6. Oh and a small portion made with veggie protein instead of beef for yours truly the chef!
My son can finish the remaining cans of Guinness, as I'm not a fan of the stuff - got plenty of red wine, ale and G & Ts to keep everyone else happy though.
No family around today but I put a haunch of venison in the slow cooker at 7 this morning. Nothing from my Irish heritage in that meal, but it is complete with spuds on top of the joint.
Not much more to do when I get home with a couple of pints of Liffey water sloshing around.
Eldest Son dropped round 36 cans of Guinness last night so I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a couple of visitors later today.

Corned beef and cabbage is the traditional Irish American meal, but I understand it's not that popular in Ireland, and the wife is not a fan of most beef. We're having boneless pork chops, cabbage, potatoes and soda bread, with Guinness to drink. Irish coffees after.

This may well be the politest and most elegant version I've heard! including the kazoos! I have a strong urge to minuet or something :)

Great find @AgProv
Background: Otava Yo grew out of a sort of collective of Russian musicians active in Leningrad/StPetersburg in the nineties. The current lineup coalesced around a couple of shaggy eccentrics called Alexei Belkin and Dimitri Shekhardin, who drew like-minded souls out to busk in Leningrad streets. Partly for the cash but mainly for the joy of playing together and honing their skills. One day, a passing student from the most prestigious classical music conservatory in Leningrad, one Yulia Usava, who had her violin with her, politely asked if she could join in. Thus you get the manic-eyed Dimitri S, playing his fiddle any old how with the butt jammed into his upper chest, playing alongside a classically-trained orchestral violinist whose violin style is the approved tucked-under-the-chin-with-a-chin-rest-on-the base. Scroll forward several years and Yulia is joined onstage by a second classically-trained orchestral violinist, Lina Kolesnik. (Recently, they've even got a lady cellist with an orchestral background who gigs with them, meaning they're effectively fronted by a string quartet.) Leaving Dimitri grumbling onstage that his worst nightmare has been realised - two professionally trained violinists who show him up as an enthusiastic amateur.

So... two classically trained orchestral violinists up front. (Both of whom also do more respectable orchestral and classical string work to the expected high standard). That thing about the minuet is possibly closer to the mark than you'd think!

Back