• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stenches & Stinks: Foul Odors & Smells (IHTM)

If nobody runs any water through our big sinks in the prep room at work for a couple of days, you'll wander in to a distinct aroma of hydrogen sulphide.

I used to live down the road from the famous BASS brewery in Burton on Trent. A bottle of BASS beer was raised from The Titanic. .. that road stank of Marmite and I hate Marmite. I think the Coors brewery industry own it now.

Once you smell death you never forget that’s for sure
I headed out with the dog the other morning and I could tell that the knacker wagon had just been through. You quite often smell death out here, dead animal in a field, something run over in the hedge, but the knacker wagon smell always makes me think of a Pepe le Pew cartoon - there's almost a trail...

Two dead seals on the beach this week luckily removed pretty quick before they got to high.

definitely hops, which isn’t unpleasant in itself but whatever else it was mixed in with it was bitter and sour.
ETA. It didn’t smell like beer which I quite like. You could see the brewery tower and the smoke or steam rising.

Hops are a bitter herb - the malting and boiling of barley/grains can get a bit whiffy too!

I live in the good old countryside too, and can sometimes pronounce on which variety of shit dung has been spread or transported along the A roads of Somerset.

I can deal with most smells pretty well, but the worst I've encountered so far was when I lived in a tiny hamlet over 20 years ago, our group of houses & flats was served by a septic tank. When I saw the tanker arriving I used to shut every window and bung towels under the doors as it was so foul, you could almost see the pong.

You should have taken a note of the reg plate and reported it to environmental health. That sounds pretty negligent, allowing rotting sheep's heads to fall off the truck like that.
Yup, I might've accidentally married one. :nods:

I can deal with most smells pretty well, but the worst I've encountered so far was when I lived in a tiny hamlet over 20 years ago, our group of houses & flats was served by a septic tank. When I saw the tanker arriving I used to shut every window and bung towels under the doors as it was so foul, you could almost see the pong.
There was a septic tank at the house where I used to live. A similar procedure was followed when the tanker arrived, followed by liberal spraying of air freshener when it departed.

Although I'm in a small town now the countryside is just a few minutes away and I can tell when it's muck spreading season when the wind is in the right direction!
The Mackeson brewery had closed before I moved here but people say the smell used to linger. The old malthouse is all that remains of it.

Malthouse arcade.jpg

Years ago the Blue Bridge area of Rhyl beach stank exactly like the sluice on the Stroke Rehab Unit where I used to work.

It's all been developed now and smells no longer.

So when I had occasion to sniff one location it'd remind me of the other. Sometimes pleasant, sometimes not. :chuckle:

Reactions: RaM
When younger and much more stupid I picked up a milk bottle,
in the bottom was something floating about, I picked it up sloshed
it around the bottom then did something I will always remember,
I sniff it then promptly chuck up, never before or since have I
ever smelt anything like it, a dead mostly decomposed mouse,

:omr:

When younger and much more stupid I picked up a milk bottle,
in the bottom was something floating about, I picked it up sloshed
it around the bottom then did something I will always remember,
I sniff it then promptly chuck up, never before or since have I
ever smelt anything like it, a dead mostly decomposed mouse,

:omr:
Some American rock singer used to take his late and decomposing pet bird onstage so he could sniff it and throw up at will.

I can well believe that.
:nods:

I can well believe that.
:nods:
Yup, we've encountered a few stinky roadkill badgers on our bike rides. One was so bad I had to pull over to chuck up. :chuckle:

Talking about unusual smells; yesterday in my kitchen, I picked up this waft of 'funny smell - what's causing that(?) mind of aromatic pungency.
Came into my living room and noticed it was far stronger, so hunted it down before it could get any worse, and found out that it was this green ball (two in fact) of fungi sitting in my one fruit bowls - turned out I'd only bought one of these easy-peel orange plastic net bags a couple of days previous, and hadn't noticed that they must have already been decomposing when I'd bought them. . . from a well known Supermarket, and I thought I'd picked up the best of what was in the box.
So very carefully, I removed the three remaining oranges - washed and dried them thoroughly, and slowly transported the offending mufti-green-pongers to the recycle bin. Took some time for the fungi smell in my house to evaporate though, however, it has taught me the lesson to evaluate what I purchase (fruit-wise), a bit more carefully in future!
1700394080258.png

Talking about unusual smells; yesterday in my kitchen, I picked up this waft of 'funny smell - what's causing that(?) mind of aromatic pungency.
Came into my living room and noticed it was far stronger, so hunted it down before it could get any worse, and found out that it was this green ball (two in fact) of fungi sitting in my one fruit bowls - turned out I'd only bought one of these easy-peel orange plastic net bags a couple of days previous, and hadn't noticed that they must have already been decomposing when I'd bought them. . . from a well known Supermarket, and I thought I'd picked up the best of what was in the box.
So very carefully, I removed the three remaining oranges - washed and dried them thoroughly, and slowly transported the offending mufti-green-pongers to the recycle bin. Took some time for the fungi smell in my house to evaporate though, however, it has taught me the lesson to evaluate what I purchase (fruit-wise), a bit more carefully in future!
View attachment 71447
Always check fruit carefully when buying from a supermarket. They're really not as good at managing stocks as they used to be.
I prefer to buy fruit loose rather than pre-packaged.

View attachment 71447
Old broccoli can also be terrible for smell.

Always check fruit carefully when buying from a supermarket. They're really not as good at managing stocks as they used to be.
I prefer to buy fruit loose rather than pre-packaged.
Very true!

View attachment 71447
Name the well known supermarket please. I'm keeping mental records because I've noticed all of them are getting a bit sloppy so they can move stock on quickly these days so I have to check the use by/sell by dates more often than usual.

Name the well known supermarket please. I'm keeping mental records because I've noticed all of them are getting a bit sloppy so they can move stock on quickly these days so I have to check the use by/sell by dates more often than usual.
"Clue" - sounds like, 'lets go!'

Back