• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
... When someone wants to tell a joke about a generic blind person, they always say "Stevie Wonder" rather than, say, David Blunkett, Blind Lemon Jefferson, or Lennie Peters. Somehow, he is the only blind person who everyone knows and feels able to joke about. ...

For decades the paradigmatic acclaimed blind musician was Ray Charles. Before that, it was George Shearing.

Back in the Sixties I saw Ray turn the tables on Dean Martin (on Dean's own variety show). Ray had performed a number, after which Dean was leaning on the piano and casually interviewing him. Martin said something that could have led to an awkward reference to seeing or sight and noticeably paused as if trying to decide how to change the subject. Whereupon ...

Ray said, "You know, Dean, there's just one big problem with being blind ..."

Dean looked authentically shocked and confused, and finally answered, "Uhhhh, what's that, Ray?"

Ray responded, "I can't see!" and laughed heartily.

So nobody's mentioned the one about the cheesegrater yet?

Whazzalladiss aboudda cheesegrater?

There, i mentioned it. So, tell us about the cheese grater.

Did you hear about the time Stevie Wonder got a cheese grater for Christmas?

He said it was the most violent book he'd ever read.

I watched Eddie Murphy being interviewed on the Kinmel show the other day.
He mentioned that Stevie Wonder will walk around snapping his fingers, with people just assuming it's a musician thing. However he is actually doing echo location, to avoid walking into things.

I watched Eddie Murphy being interviewed on the Kinmel show the other day.
He mentioned that Stevie Wonder will walk around snapping his fingers, with people just assuming it's a musician thing. However he is actually doing echo location, to avoid walking into things.
It is a genuine thing:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/blind-people-can-echolocate-180953734/

I do like these sorts of conspiracy theories with 'Paul is Dead' being my favourite, but that microphone video with Paul (McCartney) isn't evidence to me as there is every chance he felt it falling against a part of his body and so reached out. Oddly enough I have a real aversion to Paul McCartney and his endless repititions of the tedious 'Hey Jude' but I do recognise the musical pedigree.

It is a genuine thing:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/blind-people-can-echolocate-180953734/

I do like these sorts of conspiracy theories with 'Paul is Dead' being my favourite, but that microphone video with Paul (McCartney) isn't evidence to me as there is every chance he felt it falling against a part of his body and so reached out. Oddly enough I have a real aversion to Paul McCartney and his endless repititions of the tedious 'Hey Jude' but I do recognise the musical pedigree.
Hasn't real Paul got attached earlobes and Faul's are unattached? Or vice vesa.

I can do it - vocalising a sound repeatedly, somthing like da or pa with a sharp start. I can work my way around unfamilar places in darkness. I have appalling night vision so it's very useful.

Burn-the-Witch-Meme-150x150@2x.png

A new take on the "Paul is Dead" and "Stevie Wonder isn't Blind"

"Joanne LOVES conspiracy theories… and there’s one she can’t get out of her head. Is it true that Avril Lavigne died, and was replaced by a body double? Joanne digs deep into the rumour mill, and the more she reads, the more she finds herself believing it. Who Replaced Avril Lavigne? Joanne McNally Investigates is a 6-part series produced by What’s The Story Sounds – for BBC Sounds and CBC"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p...e=Who_Replaced_Avril_Lavigne?&at_bbc_team=BBC

Back