• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange After-Effects From Handling A 'Meteorite'

thepsychicpig

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
If I could I'd add in these photo's, but a friend came over with what I am told is a like a large metal fragment of "meteor"
I held it in my hand for a short period of time (2 mins) and now have an imprint on my hand, which is slightly sore.

The metal has a smell to it, weighs about 248.9 grams and displaced about 90 ml of water.

I'm just rather curious as to why its caused this mark to be left on my hand for so long, it looks like the blood has been drawn to the surface in the palm.

Anyone have a sane reasons why this has happened, the mark was clearly not there before, after handling the fragment, I twice felt tired enough to want to lay down.

I've no idea why you got a reaction, but if this was a Marvel comic you'd start to develop super powers... ;)

I suppose it could be an allergic reaction of some kind, do you have any allergies?

a friend came over with what I am told is a like a large metal fragment of "meteor"
Where did it actually come from? Is it a meteorite or not?

If someone picked it up near a hazardous waste dump, you should see a doctor for yourself, and get someone to check the fragment for radioactivity or poisons, etc.

You're not Stephen King in Creepshow, are you, thepsychicpig? If your hand turns green then be worried.

rynner said:
a friend came over with what I am told is a like a large metal fragment of "meteor"
Where did it actually come from? Is it a meteorite or not?

If someone picked it up near a hazardous waste dump, you should see a doctor for yourself, and get someone to check the fragment for radioactivity or poisons, etc.
Rynner's right, if it is something nasty, best stick it in a plastic bag, leave it well alone and go to a doctor.

Did some reading about meteorites, this thing leaves black marks on the back of tiles, seems to have no draw to a magnetic.

Its doesn't seem to have enough density to be a meteorite, although its possible it might be a stony meteorite, but the black marks make me doubt it.

my friend has had it beside his bed for ages, I don't think I need worry to much but I still have photo's of it, and my hand, of which the mark is still there but is not sore in any way.

The piece itself is flat, bubbled with a mix of what looks like stone like material, beige and a brownish, reddish tinge to it, the size of the palm of your hand.

Someone who is a pretty level headed intelligent person gave it to my friend, and told him it was a meteorite fragment.

I'm doubting it myself, as for radiation, meteorites from what I've read don't contain any, it doesn't have quartz in it either, I would say it's possible it a piece of melted metal.

But the mark is rather strange I must admit.

When you say head turn green gncxx ? do you mean my left or the right head ? :D

If you have the pics on your computer, try posting them via something like Photobucket

http://photobucket.com/

When I was a kid, I had a stone that I thought was a meteorite. (I don't recall how I acquired it.) I had it several years, but eventually I fell out of love with it, and decided it was just a bit of clinker or slag from a fire or furnace, and I chucked it out!

But it never made made marks on my hands... :shock:

I don´t suppose you have a nickel allergy. You mentioned yourself it could be melted metal. It might just be a piece of slag, some of which can be rather bad for your health.

Xanatico said:
I don´t suppose you have a nickel allergy. You mentioned yourself it could be melted metal. It might just be a piece of slag, some of which can be rather bad for your health.
And, if it was a piece of metallic meteorite, then it might well have a high nickel content.

Of course, it could also be a bit of an old satellite's plutonium battery... :shock:

rynner said:
When I was a kid, I had a stone that I thought was a meteorite. (I don't recall how I acquired it.) I had it several years, but eventually I fell out of love with it, and decided it was just a bit of clinker or slag from a fire or furnace, and I chucked it out!
Much the same happened to Richard Hammond:
Richard Hammond Builds a Planet

With his trademark wit, Richard Hammond takes on the ultimate engineering project: how on earth do you build a planet that is just right for life? What do you need to build a planet like ours, and what happens if you get anything wrong? With eye-popping graphics, Richard Hammond opens up a cosmic toolbox to work it out. He's going to build the whole thing, piece by piece, from the top of a two-mile high tower in the Californian desert. :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _a_Planet/

RH: "It probably wasn't a real meteorite anyway, but it had done its job, it had inspired my interest in space.."

Me too! (Or maybe my interest in space had convinced me it was a real meteorite!)

Back