• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I was convinced it was a Silvia....

thumbnail-364x204.jpg

...even down to the bonnet badge. But the mirrors are in the wrong place so maybe not...

Like I said it might not have been the one in the picture. But when I searched that was the closest I could find. It was similar to the Silvia though. Like I said they had pretty narrow lights, a bit like a Delorean.

According to image search the one in the photo is a Nissan 240RS. Which is a type of Silvia apparently.

Here's a strange coincidence for you. It happened to my sister. When my sister was at uni she had to visit London to do some research. She went by train. On the way back she went to find her seat but someone was in it and she politely asked them to move, the man did and they started a conversation. It turned out the man had something to do with her studies and offered to give her relevant information, so they stayed in touch and they became very good friends. Fast forward a few years and my sister starts work in South London in an area my family are all from and they see each other because this man is from South London too and living there. When my father got very ill, a few months before he died, my sister decided to go round and take some photos of places my dad knew from his childhood to take back and show him how the places had changed. This man that she'd originally met on the train accompanied her. When they got to my father's primary school, he said 'oh, my father went here.' They started talking dates and it ended up in the same area of time. He went home and asked his Dad if he'd ever heard of my Dad's name and he had. They had been in the same class. My Dad couldn't remember his father but my Dad's twin sister could remember him. It didn't happen to me but I can't get over the coincidence. What are the chances?

To cut to the chase, the following incident falls into the coincidence category and it happened to me back in 2013 in a thread in a forum where members, including me, were talking about who the next pope was going to be. Some were making predictions on that too.

Here's what happened... in the week prior to when the new pope was chosen, I did a meditation session asking who will be the next pope. Then later that day, the St. Francis saying "For it is in giving that we receive" popped into my head.

Thinking that it might have something to do with who the next pope was going to be, I went to that forum and changed my "forum signature" to that St. Francis saying just in case it actually did have something to do with that.

Well, lo and behold, the following week after I changed my signature in that forum to that St.Francis saying, the new pope was elected and he chose to name himself after St. Francis of Assisi.

So I then typed out a post in that thread in that forum and told everyone what happened.

Then the next day, one of the moderator's there closed down that thread for 10 minutes to check the forum logs to see what day and time I made that signature change. When he verified my claims on that, he opened the thread back up again.

Below are screenshots from that forum of that comment I posted in that thread including the post showing the mod apologizing about closing down that thread for a bit and a post from another member who commented on the mod doing that.

pope_prediction.gif

epofore.jpg

Here's a strange coincidence for you. It happened to my sister. When my sister was at uni she had to visit London to do some research. She went by train. On the way back she went to find her seat but someone was in it and she politely asked them to move, the man did and they started a conversation. It turned out the man had something to do with her studies and offered to give her relevant information, so they stayed in touch and they became very good friends. Fast forward a few years and my sister starts work in South London in an area my family are all from and they see each other because this man is from South London too and living there. When my father got very ill, a few months before he died, my sister decided to go round and take some photos of places my dad knew from his childhood to take back and show him how the places had changed. This man that she'd originally met on the train accompanied her. When they got to my father's primary school, he said 'oh, my father went here.' They started talking dates and it ended up in the same area of time. He went home and asked his Dad if he'd ever heard of my Dad's name and he had. They had been in the same class. My Dad couldn't remember his father but my Dad's twin sister could remember him. It didn't happen to me but I can't get over the coincidence. What are the chances?

Just wanted to say, wow!, what a small world! Just a reminder to us that sometimes things happen for a reason and in cases like this, you really DO have wonder if, in fact, that's true.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about how the whole Taylor Swift thing had put me off Tom Hiddleston when he suddenly turned up in a charity advert. :eek:

Oh well... he was third through first part of the race but was over taken in that position .... not even in the first 4 at end. Need to work on this, till next time! :)

:p

Oddly enough, my own voices said Relight My Fire* and I nearly posted that before.

Damn it, I'm a staircase tipster and a second-rate one at that!

*Channeling boy-bands is always a bit dodgy!

Last edited:
Next time I do this, will start up new thread somewhere here... specifically for horse racing. This is fun!

:p

Oddly enough, my own voices said Relight My Fire* and I nearly posted that before.

Damn it, I'm a staircase tipster and a second-rate one at that!

*Channeling boy-bands is always a bit dodgy!

Not bad, he came in second in that race!

I pulled an old t-shirt from a cedar chest to wear this morning, a silly team-building freebie from my defunct employer, closed down since 2013. Haven't worn it in years.
A regional history FB page I follow posted a 100+ year history of the founding of that place and links to its history today.

You know when you're in slow traffic when you're in a hurry and you notice that in front of you there's a funeral? And you mutter oh ffs...

When this happens in my home town I find myself reading the FFS off the funeral company's custom numberplates. Always makes me laugh. :D

I temporarily misplaced my house keys today, my front door key has a rubber grip on it that's a cartoon blue fish (from back when I was a fish monger).

Anyhoo, after retracing my steps from this morning, the lady I work with told me someone had put up a sign on a lamp post that read that a front door key had been found and giving the address to retrieve it.

The bloke was in his front garden so I described my key, he looked a bit pleased then fetched the key for me but it wasn't my key .. it also had a blue fish attached although this one was on a key ring. What are the odds of two people losing a key in the same area on the same day with a blue fish attached to them?.

If I wanted to be tenuous about coincidences, his house number was 43, 4+3 adds up to 7 (or it did when I went to school), the newspapers we deliver on the same roads are in order. 6, 7, 67, 25 (2+5 anyone?) and another 6 .... as another forum member here has pointed out the last time I waffled about this, "It's all gone sixes and sevens"

Last edited:
I had just heard the sad news of Gene Wilder's death on the Radio 4 News. I'm uncertain whether they explicitly mentioned his rôle* as the analyst who falls adulterously? in love with his patient's sheep but I certainly thought of it!

What came up next was a documentary on the camel, which referred to the amount of money UAE-persons (read men, I think, in this context) are prepared to spend on camel beauty-contests! The eyelashes are a particular attraction, it seems! :rofl:

*Woody Allen's EYWTKAS . . . (1972)

Well, if it's camels you want:
Camels for sale due to 'too many babies'
28 August 2016 Last updated at 12:38 BST

Up to 10 camels have been put up for sale at a farm in Cornwall.

Christopher Oates, who runs camel treks at Rosuick Farm on the Lizard Peninsula, said they were very sociable animals and would make great pets.
He said a successful breeding season meant the farm had more camels than required.

The camels, which range in age and trekking experience, are expected to sell for between £3,000 and £8,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-37205912

Just a little coincidence but it amused me. Yesterday I went to see Escette & Mr Escette in Brum and they gave me a lovely gift of a posh camera flash. Very sophisticated.

I had gifts for them too, including a camera lens-shaped insulated mug for Mr Escette. So that's two camera-related presents, neither of which was expected - we're not huge photography buffs.

Not sure you'd be looking at the mantelpiece while stoking the fire. With a camel that'd be a bit... difficult.

This thread reminded me of my favourite coincidental happening...

My children are adopted and I attended some course about adoption and got chatting to another adoptive mother there. At the end of the day we swapped emails and did keep in touch for a short while, but there was little chance of us meeting up because we lived too far from each other and eventually we ran out of things to say.

Fast forward to the following year and I have started up a new business from home, and my daughter and I are going around our local area posting cards through people's doors advertising it. Right by our house is a cul-de-sac that I have never had cause to go down before, and we're posting in those houses when a car pulls up. A couple get out with their children and I think "Oh she looks like that woman I met at that course" but don't think too much of it. But as we get closer and closer she recognises me too and of course it is her! Turns out her sister lives in one of the houses in that cul-de-sac!

She couldn't stop to talk as she and her husband were just dropping the kids off so that they could get away for the weekend, in fact, she drove off before daughter and I had finished posting the cards in all houses.

To think of all the hundreds of people attending that adoption course and I had to get chatting to someone whose sister lived around the corner, but even more amazing to me was us bumping into each other. I had never been in that cul-de-sac before, and I had just happened to be there at the same minute she popped by! So odd. If a bit awkward because we had stopped emailing each other.

That same summer I saw a woman who I thought might be her sister at the local sports centre and I introduced myself. She had a daughter just a bit younger than my daughter and for a short while they became friends, but then - much like me and her aunty - turned out they didn't have much in common.

I was out walking my dog yesterday with my better half and the dog got a cut on her paw.

As we headed home I said to my wife "when we get in we need to bathe her paw in salty water to clean it so we can see the extent of the cut" as soon as I said this we came upon a neatly stacked heap of salt sachets in the middle of the path - the kind you get in cafes or fast food joints.

Useful but odd!

I mention Bela Lugosi on another thread. The song Bela Lugosi's Dead comes on the radio minutes later. He's trying to tell us something!

How about this for a coincidence.

My wife gets a call on her mobile and on the screen pops up her nephews name. However it not her nephew, it's a wrong number from some young guy who has taken down a phone number incorrectly from a girl he has met.

After some calls to make sure that the nephews phone has not been pinched it transpires that the phone and SIM are still lodged in a drawer for months having been superseded by his new phone.

The old number has been recycled by the operator and the wrong number call to my wife was truly random!

Why couldn't such a thing have involved the lottery :(

Back