• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A coincidence from a couple of weeks ago.

I spent most of my life from age 8 to 47 in Nottingham and now live in Lincolnshire. Visits to Nottingham for shopping are rare. (I work on the outskirts of Nottingham city centre, though.)

2 weeks ago, my wife and I were in the Victoria Centre, Nottingham, shopping. I was thinking to myself, "All that time I lived in Nottingham, and yet I never see anyone I know." Then the name "Kane" (my nephew) popped into my head as a random example of someone I might see. Then Kane came round the corner and into view.

I barely know Kane, except for occasionally meeting him at family get togethers. We get on perfectly well, but I suspect he would need reminding who I was if he met me out of context.

However, despite all the many former schoolmates, former work colleagues, former neighbours, former sports club friends, and so on that I never happen to bump into "in town" this was the 2nd time I have passed within yards of him when in Nottingham.

In Britain, wouldn't that be 'thingy-m-bob's-your-uncle'?
nah the 'bobs your uncle' bit is the equivalent of the French 'et voila!' ie there you have it then! Often followed by 'and Fanny's your aunt' :)

In Britain, wouldn't that be 'thingy-m-bob's-your-uncle'?
Sollywos is correct. Bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt:

"Bob's your uncle" is a phrase commonly used in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries that means "and there it is", or "and there you have it", or "it's done". Typically, someone says it to conclude a set of simple instructions or when a result is reached.'

'A phrase with the same meaning is 'Fanny's your aunt'. When used together it means complete or the whole lot. If Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt you've got a full set of relatives and you are complete.'

A thingamabob is different:

'a word used, especially in spoken English, when the name of an object has been forgotten: I need one of those red thingamabobs for this - Do you have one? Synonyms. doohickey US informal. thingy informal.'

nah the 'bobs your uncle' bit is the equivalent of the French 'et voila!' ie there you have it then! Often followed by 'and Fanny's your aunt' :)

Sollywos is correct. Bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt:

"Bob's your uncle" is a phrase commonly used in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries that means "and there it is", or "and there you have it", or "it's done". Typically, someone says it to conclude a set of simple instructions or when a result is reached.'

'A phrase with the same meaning is 'Fanny's your aunt'. When used together it means complete or the whole lot. If Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt you've got a full set of relatives and you are complete.'

A thingamabob is different:

'a word used, especially in spoken English, when the name of an object has been forgotten: I need one of those red thingamabobs for this - Do you have one? Synonyms. doohickey US informal. thingy informal.'
I knew all that. I was just making a (bad) joking reference to the fact that "Bob's your uncle" is a British phrase not used in America.

I knew all that. I was just making a (bad) joking reference to the fact that "Bob's your uncle" is a British phrase not used in America.
I didn't know the '.. and Fanny's your aunt' bit meaning and I'm an English. Does that add on bit mean that you've got all four grandparents, both parents, all uncles and aunts and all brothers and/or sisters still alive because if it does, that's a bit morbid isn't it come to think of it.

I didn't know the '.. and Fanny's your aunt' bit meaning and I'm an English. Does that add on bit mean that you've got all four grandparents, both parents, all uncles and aunts and all brothers and/or sisters still alive because if it does, that's a bit morbid isn't it come to think of it.
I thought that 'and Fanny's your Aunt' meant it wasn't true or it was a tall story.

Scottish people use fanny as an affectionate insult. :)
1705775567639.png

One possible origin of the phrase 'Bobs your uncle' is to do with nepotism. The Conservative Prime Minister, Robert Cascoyne-Cecil (3rd Marquess of Salisbury) ie Bob, appointed his not particularly talented nephew, Arthur Balfour, to a senior role in government.

Certainly Andrew Marr** seems to go along with that explaination. However it was a while after that before it appeared in print (a poplular song I think). Anyway as I imagine that sort of thing went on a lot I don't know why that particular appointment should have garnered the phrase over any others.

The only other thing is apparently Balfour was in some club or other where his nickname was Fanny* which seems to provide a bridge to the complete phrase.

*afaik at the time the name Fanny hadn't become a rude word it used to be a common enough name. Not sure when it morphed into it's current usage.

** According to his book 'The Making of Modern Britain' . I'm currently reading it but's it's upstairs and I can't be bothered to go and get it for an accurate quote. Sorry

*afaik at the time the name Fanny hadn't become a rude word it used to be a common enough name. Not sure when it morphed into it's current usage.
I love etymology, had a look and found this

Now, fair warning – tackling any subject related to slang isn’t without controversies or misconceptions. That’s why we’ll carefully navigate through common misunderstandings surrounding “fanny” while addressing any controversies head-on.

So buckle up for an entertaining and informative ride through British lexicon. By embracing not only what makes us laugh but also what pushes our lexical boundaries, we can gain valuable insights into a culture that thrives on unique expressions.

https://slangsensei.com/fanny-british-slang-meaning/
Bloody hell, AI drivel.

fanny (n.)​

"buttocks," 1920, American English, from earlier British meaning "vulva" (1879), perhaps from the name of John Cleland's heroine in the scandalous novel "Fanny Hill or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure" (1748). The fem. proper name is a diminutive of Frances. The genital sense is still the primary one outside U.S., but is not current in American English, a difference which can have consequences when U.S. TV programs and movies air in Britain.

I love etymology, had a look and found this

Now, fair warning – tackling any subject related to slang isn’t without controversies or misconceptions. That’s why we’ll carefully navigate through common misunderstandings surrounding “fanny” while addressing any controversies head-on.

So buckle up for an entertaining and informative ride through British lexicon. By embracing not only what makes us laugh but also what pushes our lexical boundaries, we can gain valuable insights into a culture that thrives on unique expressions.

https://slangsensei.com/fanny-british-slang-meaning/
Bloody hell, AI drivel.

fanny (n.)​

"buttocks," 1920, American English, from earlier British meaning "vulva" (1879), perhaps from the name of John Cleland's heroine in the scandalous novel "Fanny Hill or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure" (1748). The fem. proper name is a diminutive of Frances. The genital sense is still the primary one outside U.S., but is not current in American English, a difference which can have consequences when U.S. TV programs and movies air in Britain.
As with any common name, it got twisted. The word "tawdry" is a contraction of St Audrey; items sold at St Audrey's fairs became a bit shoddy, leading to the use of tawdry to describe cheap and nasty goods. Jillian was pretty common in medieval times but became associated with women of poor reputation, and I believe that "jilt" is derived from it. And then there's John Thomas - which British people will understand as a penis reference.

As with any common name, it got twisted. The word "tawdry" is a contraction of St Audrey; items sold at St Audrey's fairs became a bit shoddy, leading to the use of tawdry to describe cheap and nasty goods. Jillian was pretty common in medieval times but became associated with women of poor reputation, and I believe that "jilt" is derived from it. And then there's John Thomas - which British people will understand as a penis reference.
We men can interpret any name as a penis reference :)

(Isn't there a tragicomic story about a patient who died from excessive blushing because he got more and more sensitive to men's names? Might it be in Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five?)

Was just now looking at an old post about a hassock I was intending to make a new cover for. The project ground to a halt when I foolishly used what turned out to be stretchy denim that wouldn't sew straight.

I thought 'Hmmm, I could have another go with a better fabric, might use my new stencils to decorate it when they come -' and the Amazon delivery arrived. :chuckle:

Back