• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
To me a hassock is a clump of long grass in a field.
That's a tussock. :)
A hassock is either a cushion for kneeling on in church, or a firm clump of matted vegetation in boggy ground. (Vegetation forming a cushion?)
A tummock is a hillock (!) or mound.
A cassock is a full length garment worn by a clergyman or member of the choir.

A Cossack is a horseman from Ukraine or southern Russia.
A hammock is a suspended bed.
A haddock is a type of fish.
A dunnock is a hedge sparrow.
I was going to write more, but then I thought boll...

That's a tussock. :)
A hassock is either a cushion for kneeling on in church, or a firm clump of matted vegetation in boggy ground. (Vegetation forming a cushion?)
A tummock is a hillock (!) or mound.
A cassock is a full length garment worn by a clergyman or member of the choir.

A Cossack is a horseman from Ukraine or southern Russia.
A hammock is a suspended bed.
A haddock is a type of fish.
A dunnock is a hedge sparrow.
I was going to write more, but then I thought boll...
There are also billhook and rowlock, with which words I used to lace the Limerickss thread. :wink2:
A pollock is a type of fish.
A pillock is a stupid person. See also wazzock.
A bannock is a Scottish bread cake.
etc

Maybe it is time I reconsidered my scepticism. Two friends of mine who are avid followers of the Belgian Industrial band Front 242 booked into a hotel by Gatwick airport to get ready to fly out on holiday. And they found themselves booked into room 242 ! I trust them well enough to accept that they had no prior input into selecting the room number allocated to them. I mean the chances of this being a pure random coincidence must be minimal.
Also I was thinking about my visit to 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' bookshop in Leeds around 1990 sort of time. I then switched on Radio 3 and found myself listening to 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' symphonic poem by Paul Dukas, most known for being included in Disney's 'Fantasia' . And if that's not spooky enough, Mickey Mouse plays the Sorcerer's Apprentice in 'Fantasia' . Last time I went to my favourite secondhand CD shop I got my purchases handed to me in a plastic bag with Mickey Mouse on it.

When looking for the Guardian article I mentioned, this 2013 one popped up -
Italian football fans stand up for their right to be abused by rivals

This is extreme banter. :chuckle:
More extreme footy banter -

Last week Roma ultras displayed a banner containing an X-rated message directed at the late Queen Elizabeth II so in Brighton’s home fixture the fans responded with their own banner saying 'Totti adores pineapple on pizza'
1f923.png

Attachments

• Roma Ultras.jpeg
    Roma Ultras.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 26
Another weird coincidence . Earlier today, I was doing my usual Saturday morning chores. For some strange reason I thought back to when I first got a new computer with an internet connection in 1998. I was doing a history course at the time, and was looking at the statues of the Black Madonna. I typed in 'Black Virgin...' into the search engine and the sites that appeared were rather startling. Though I counted myself as a man of the world, I was left blushing. I have moved on since, and prefer not to dwell on the incident.
Later I went to the local market, found the book stall and the first item that caught my eye .........'The Cult of the Black Virgin' by Ean Begg. A shiver went up and down my spine I can tell you.

Back