• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths Books

47Forteans

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Is anyone else buying these? I bought the second volume yesterday, and received some strange looks as I read it on the bus home.

Didn't even know they existed!
deo they have those insulting illustrations that I hate so much? Y'know, a sketch representing the 'humorous' death of a named person? :evil:

IIRC one of them has a photo in the front cover of a Spanish guy having been flattened by a rock whilst in coitus with a chicken.

:shock:

Must dig mine out the loft.

There are no insulting illustrations like in the magazine, just a drawing of a skull at the start of each chapter that is connected to the theme of that chapter. The books are advertised in the magazine itself (and without a copy of FT at hand, I cannae tell you which page the ad appears)

I love the looks I get from the people opposite when I'm sitting on a train reading a book called something like "Book of the weird", and I occasionally giggle and hold the book close so no one else can peer at the pages. Priceless!

Are you ever tempted to read passages out loud to your fellow passengers?

They're the books advertised at the bottom of the Strange Deaths column. Anyone else buying them?

I've seen them on sale in a few places in Sydney papershops...

I've seen them in my local Newsagent - same place I buy my FTs. But I didn't get one. I'd have bought an IHTM book though.

While I haven't bought an IHTM book - I find that section of the magazine to be dull - I do have both Strange Deaths books, which is well worth the read...

It struck me that this warning sign, apparently now mandatory in lifts in Sweden, many of which do not have interior doors/walls, must have arisen due to a truly gruesome accident.
The text translates as "Warning. Risk of crushing. It is dangerous to transport goods in lift that does not have an inner-door or gate".

lifts.png

It struck me that this warning sign, apparently now mandatory in lifts in Sweden, many of which do not have interior doors/walls, must have arisen due to a truly gruesome accident.
The text translates as "Warning. Risk of crushing. It is dangerous to transport goods in lift that does not have an inner-door or gate".

View attachment 74135
Classic, I love it.

Back