• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Experience with BBC3 (Odd Static Image)

Otik said:
It makes me curious as to what the programme was about...

Right then! I have found the listings in an old copy of the FT (that's Financial Times) I found in the office!
7.00pm: Little Angels Top Tips (a show about dealing with problem kids...)
7.10pm: EastEnders Revealed (behind the scenes of the soap opera...)
7.40pm: Who Rules The Roost? (another show about dealing with problem kids...)

So, I reckon this pic would have been taken during EastEnders Revealed... obviously something's gone very wrong in Walford!

Otik said:
I love some of the delightfully silly theories that people propose on this forum. I very much doubt this was anything Fortean, and was probably a glitch in the decoder leading to a frozen frame.

It looks like the skull of a goat or sheep being held at a strange angle, with the hand of someone manipulating it in the bottom left.

It makes me curious as to what the programme was about...

I would have thought this is very Fortean as it is an unexplained curiosity.

Unless we are now defining Fortean as meaning 'paranormal', which I didn't think it meant.

I can't make head nor tail of the image, but would hazard a guess that it is a freeze-frame of a fast moving graphic sequence in the programme, probably at a point that the signal hung. Either that or it was a BBC3 problem earlier in the day that resolved itself whilst you were flicking around channels.

Incidently, talking about NTL cable....anyone else know why at a certain time shortly after midnight every night, the channel you watch auto changes for a few minutes and then comes back?

channel change

din't know about NTL specifically but there's atime slot somewhere between midnight and 2am reserved for hardware manufacturer's software updates. could it be that these cause a channel change?

Invay said:
I would have thought this is very Fortean as it is an unexplained curiosity.

Unless we are now defining Fortean as meaning 'paranormal', which I didn't think it meant.

I can't make head nor tail of the image, but would hazard a guess that it is a freeze-frame of a fast moving graphic sequence in the programme, probably at a point that the signal hung. Either that or it was a BBC3 problem earlier in the day that resolved itself whilst you were flicking around channels.

Incidently, talking about NTL cable....anyone else know why at a certain time shortly after midnight every night, the channel you watch auto changes for a few minutes and then comes back?

I apologise for my poor choice of words. I meant paranormal instead of Fortean.

My view was that it wasn't a paranormal shot but never the less interesting. Top of page 3. Also mentioned the jawbone similarity only for someone later to remark "Anyone else see a jawbone in that picture?"
Makes me wonder how many people have me on ignore.. :lol:

Diabolik said:

Check for yourself on your profile page. :)

So if you put someone on ignore, they're going to know about it. Seems a bit unnesessary (if not daft) to me.

Diabolik said:
My view was that it wasn't a paranormal shot but never the less interesting. Top of page 3. Also mentioned the jawbone similarity only for someone later to remark "Anyone else see a jawbone in that picture?"

Oops, that was me. :oops: Obviously I'm not ignoring you; I just have a short attention span. Sorry for that; the error is entirely mine.

just thought i'd check back in here to say that the same sort of thing happened to me last night on NTL. I switched it over to NTL on the TV and it was frozen on an image of a trailer for an upcoming programme (slightly blurred but I could make out what it was) however the sound was from whatever was currently 'showing' on the channel. I moved a few channels and then back and it was the same, did it again and it went back to normal.

I think this is purely a set-top box glitch that evidently occurs from time to time.

Still an interesting image nonetheless!

I know and have seen similar results from the frozen frames on SKY etc... but all I want to know is what that particullar shot is and what the frame is from! That would be it for me! hehe. :D

spillage said:
I know and have seen similar results from the frozen frames on SKY etc... but all I want to know is what that particullar shot is and what the frame is from! That would be it for me! hehe. :D

Me too. I'm waiting for someone to point it out, and then the image will come clear and I'll say "of course it's an elderly lady pushing a shopping cart along a busy crosswalk!". I'm still waiting.

Still no reply from the BBC.... and NTL said they couldn't help.... hmm, makes me wonder why I pay my licence fee!

On a purely non-paranormal note, it looks a bit like one of the WW1 Trench Re-enactment programme adverts BBC3 were showing last year...

On a bit of a tangent, but along similar lines, I see Channel 4 have started showing 3-4 second subliminal trailers for the Hollywood re-make of Ring 2 inbetween commercials in late night advert breaks.

Seeing the at ring of light and a jumpy frame rate little girl scuttling up the well scared the shit our of me last night - wasn't expecting to see it. :shock:

Mind you it was just before last night's screening of The Evil Dead...

Did the telephone ring afterwards? :shock:

I have a feeling that after we're done finding out what it is, we're all gonna be none the wiser as to what the components of the picture actually are.

James

toolofthestate said:
Did the telephone ring afterwards? :shock:

No but there were two teasers subliminally in one break...

I still reckon the picture is trenches. the trench being toi the right of frame, sandbags the other side of it.

God alone knows how it got all scewiff tho.

This thread has actually reminded me of an experience we used to have with TV reception in the mid 90s.

At the time I was living at my parents' place in Kenilworth, Warwickshire. For a good few months in 1994, on and off, when watching ITV our picture became distorted.

Think of like a loading screen from an old 8-bit computer (Commodore 64, Spectrum, Amstrad) a coloured border, with a black screen, and white text inside the middle of it.

Now we received our pictures from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter, like most in the West Midlands, but during 1994 we started reeiving like a ghost image of what I have just described, juxtaposed with a grainy ITV picture, passing in and out of frame. The text inside the box beared something like "Nottingham..." something, something, "...CTV"

Now, Nottingham is an hours drive up the motorway. I should know. As a die hard Nottingham Forest fan, we used to drive up there a couple of times a month to see matches.

The most rememberred occurance of this was watching (Well trying to) ITV's heavily edited down, bad dub, version of Robocop, that year. Where the image was constantly passing backwards and forwards.

This happened only on ITV (None of the other 3 channels) and did so on and off for several months.

When I watched The Ring for the first time this too triggered my memory of this. The concept of some malevolent force sending out evil visions into the static of cable station down time, suddenly didn't feel that inplausible...

Going slightly off-topic but still within the realms of TV weirdness - many years ago (probably early 80s) the BBC showed an afternoon matinee of Marx Brothers films one of which was Duck Soup. Towards the end I started getting a strange feeling of deja vu until I realised that the film was replaying itself scene by scene. It was as if time has shifted back an hour then skipped a few minutes. By the time the film ended I was convinced that I was contracting dementia.

Typically, a BBC announcer apologised explaining that the reels had been played in the incorrect order and some earlier scenes had been repeated by mistake and other scenes not played at all. I had no idea that the TV broadcast of films was so simplistic until later someone told me that Channel Four had shown a film in black and white that should have merged into colour after the first couple of minutes. He called the duty officer to explain and within a few minutes the film had magically come into full colour.

Mike Paterson

Mike63 said:
Going slightly off-topic but still within the realms of TV weirdness - many years ago (probably early 80s) the BBC showed an afternoon matinee of Marx Brothers films one of which was Duck Soup. Towards the end I started getting a strange feeling of deja vu until I realised that the film was replaying itself scene by scene. It was as if time has shifted back an hour then skipped a few minutes. By the time the film ended I was convinced that I was contracting dementia.

Typically, a BBC announcer apologised explaining that the reels had been played in the incorrect order and some earlier scenes had been repeated by mistake and other scenes not played at all. I had no idea that the TV broadcast of films was so simplistic until later someone told me that Channel Four had shown a film in black and white that should have merged into colour after the first couple of minutes. He called the duty officer to explain and within a few minutes the film had magically come into full colour.

Mike Paterson

Yes, I think that too would be a bit freaky.

I think I've always had a bit of a fear of technical problems on TV. I always feel uneasy when the next programme doesn't cue in properly, and we're left with a frozen image or long pause.

This may stem from one of my earlier childhood TV memories, of Eric Morcambe's death, and the black and white date from/date two tribute frame, which I felt in my young mind to be on sc5reen for hours. It bothered me.

Mouth? Teeth? Jawbone? Evil eyes?

wtf? I see none of this. :?:

Hey yeah, I didn't even notice the soldiers before now. It's all becoming clearer...

But if you rotate it 90 degrees, you'll see Satan's child, the ghost of Jim Morrison, and my late grandmother...

CI, I'm going to post your interpretation over there if you don't mind so these people will stop having such a goofy field day trying to look for ghosts in the photo.

After reading more of other peoples ideas, I looked again and it looks as if someone put a camera on the floor and it just picked up some details that just don't make sense because you only see close up bits. I have changed my opinion from earlier about the background being mountains or something because of that crack in the left corner, which seems to belong to some concrete wall. I also don't think its a jaw....dammit I need to know what it is, cause it drives me mad... :headbutt:

I fiddled a little with the image and it seems clearer now that there is a wall. However the bottom left thing still looks like a pigs trotter...

http://www.2atoms.com/images/shared/bbcgrabe.jpg

Still no reply from the BBC.... and NTL said they couldn't help.... hmm, makes me wonder why I pay my licence fee!

Sorry to say this but you won't get any reply - by pure accident, due to a glitch in broadcasting, you have discovered their real identity - evil ET's masquerading as people. Now we all know what their planet looks like. :shock:

To me this looks like a hand cupping or pushing some kind of large circular object. The three horisontal structures at the bottom of the picture could be distorted elongated fingers of a left hand with the thumb gripping in a vertial position. What looks like a pigs trotter could be a cuff of a shirt of this hand and the right hand in a gripping/supporting vertial position (imaging holding a beachball). That being said as to what it is holding God only knows!!

I'm still trying to work out what this image shows. I've tried to bring out some more detail in the pic (edit: now removed.) It's tempting to see the large bright area as a landscape, and I did at first, but I think this is misleading. The reason being what looks like a crack at the top left side. So I think there is some real messing up of perspective. Curious Ident's WW1 trench idea seems to make sense, but of course assumes that the bright area is a landscape. In my brightened, slightly colour changed version, the 'soldiers' look more like fingers with long nails and seem to merge into the sloping rough structure behind them, although I can still see them as soldiers!

I'm still no nearer to a definitive answer to this. I'm sure there is one though, and that it's more than likely something quite 'normal' that will become obvious once it's pointed out.

I have to say though, I have never seen digital TV mess up in a way like this, so I don't think that the image is distorted.

I think I'm on this forum too often. Last night I dreamed that I watched a movie in which in one scene I saw that pigs trotter and all of a sudden I felt like "Eureka", I must tell them on the forum that I found what it is!

Well it wasn't real, but it shows how much my subconscious is preoccupied and so desperately wants to know what this image is...
I hate to think that we will never find out.

Back