• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Experience with BBC3 (Odd Static Image)

Acid trip from hell

Right i've adjusted the brightness & contrast for better definition. Hope you don't mind Gareth..

bbc3eh.jpg

Disregard my interpretation. This is far too weird.. I'm sure there's a normal explanation but we can't see it (yet..) But that's what makes it interesting, not the notion it could be in any way paranormal (in my opinion anyway)

The middle section is starting to look like part of a skull/jawline along with three teeth now.. The thing is whatever you see in part of the image just doesn't seem to gel/fit logically with the rest. Hmm!

I do like the idea of that sock puppet though..

Thanks for putting that up Diabolik! Just noticed something, right below the BBC Three logo - it looks like a crack in whatever is on screen. There seems to be some sort of crease running along it too....
I'm trying to find out what was being shown on BBC3 that day, so will report back if I find out!

The thing in the bottom right hand corner looks (to me) like a thumb. Could it be a hand holding the jaw bone of something and the screen/ film/tape or whatever has gone wonky?

Looks like a thumb to me too. Actually, the whole thing kind of reminds me of a sonogram.

It looks to me as the hand in the bottom right is twiddling some sort of dial...

And yes: twiddling is the scientific term :p

woah! freaky! Reminds me a bit of 'The Ring' ... no one saw a freaky kid with long black hair, a well and some horses did they? :shock:

looks around anxiously and turns TV to face wall

Back in the early days of NTL Cable we used to experience breaks in service all the time. These manifested themselves as screens frozen with the image that was on at the time of loss of signal. If you were lucky you'd get a twisted mangled image that our pattern-seeking brains (we're hard-wired to search for the familiar in chaos - hence simulacra etc) interpreted through a pop-culture filter - HR Giger, X-Files, every SF film that features a scan of an alien - and saw as disturbing weirdness. Just like that eerie future broadcast in John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness".

The best one though was half-way through Katherine Bigelow's "Strange Days" that left the Sci-Fi channel with an image of Ralph Feinnes in mid-leap across a bed for several hours.

On a tangent - this was also the time when I realised that the Fat Boy Slim track with the repeated line, "Right here, right now" sampled Angela Basset from that same film.

I hope you're able to solve the mystery.

Mike Paterson

Awwww, digital TV, how you fooled us all with your promises of all-weather entertainment with no interference. Has anyone tried watching Sky Digital when its whoomping it down outside? For me its a futile activity.

Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby said:
DVD's can be odd too. Last year I purchased Monthy Pyton and the Holy Grail on DVD. Got it home, popped it on and a Carry On film started, an old black an white one about dentists. Annoyed I ejected it thinking that they had given me the wrong DVD but it seemed to be the right one. I put it back in and the right film started. I then stopped it again and flicked through every TV channel I have and this film was not on any of them. I have never been able to get this film back it will now only play the Holy Grail (not that I'm complaining).

Can you put the dvd in a dvd drive on your computer. Open it up with Explorer (NOT internet explorer) and look at all the .vob files seperately. Go through each one. they should play with your software dvd player, or maybe even Windows media player 9. That way will show you every single piece of video on the disc.

Yep, was one of the first things that struck me... 3 structures that look like teeth gave me that opinon.

Diabolik said:
A very intriguing pic! Here's my interpretation. The majority of the image seems to consist of the view through a crystal ball, or a fish-eye lens effect. In which we see a beach scene with a hill right at the back.

Ditto. I can see a blue sky with whispy white clouds, (breakers hitting the land?) and a slight earth curvature to the horizon . . . . . I wonder if a sattelite crashed into the ocean and that was the last image it transmitted before it burned up or impacted?

garethmackie said:
RainyOcean said:
TV's do weird things though.

You're right there, and I can't believe I'd forgotten about this - around six or seven years ago I rented The Exorcist on VHS for Halloween and sat at home, on my own, to watch it. When it got to the scene where Regan (sp?) wets herself in front of everyone my VCR chewed up the tape and refused to let it go.
Scared? I almost filled my drawers.

DVD's can be odd too. Last year I purchased Monthy Pyton and the Holy Grail on DVD. Got it home, popped it on and a Carry On film started, an old black an white one about dentists. Annoyed I ejected it thinking that they had given me the wrong DVD but it seemed to be the right one. I put it back in and the right film started. I then stopped it again and flicked through every TV channel I have and this film was not on any of them. I have never been able to get this film back it will now only play the Holy Grail (not that I'm complaining).

Don't think it was a Carry ON film mate but there is something there. Just something daft the Python put in on that particular issue. I had the same. Was it the Python Movie boxset?

Triplesod said:
garethmackie said:
RainyOcean said:
TV's do weird things though.

You're right there, and I can't believe I'd forgotten about this - around six or seven years ago I rented The Exorcist on VHS for Halloween and sat at home, on my own, to watch it. When it got to the scene where Regan (sp?) wets herself in front of everyone my VCR chewed up the tape and refused to let it go.
Scared? I almost filled my drawers.

Don't think it was a Carry ON film mate but there is something there. Just something daft the Python put in on that particular issue. I had the same. Was it the Python Movie boxset?

it was the special edition but it seems that those jolly old Python pranksters put it in for a laugh..mystery solved

To me, it looks like the mirror-faced visor of an astronaut's spacesuit, with some landscape reflected in it.
Maybe an alien or astronaut fiddling with the satellite?

o me, it looks like the mirror-faced visor of an astronaut's spacesuit, with some landscape reflected in it.
Maybe an alien or astronaut fiddling with the satellite?

Yeah, except for the "teeth" that have been mentioned, along with the odd "ridges" on the right side of the "helmet."
IMHO, the "fingers" touching the dial look like a Morlock's three fingered hand from the "Time Machine" movie by Geo. Pal.

Either it's a true look into another dimension, or somewhere a graphic artiste is having a good laugh !!!

my natural assumption is that the light bit is sky.... but it's so overexposed it's hard to tell. The rest of the picture is quite well-defined.

just as a test could someone post a screen shot of some other programme without presenters on the screen and everyone can see if they can guess what THAT is?

For this I see a pig's trotter bottom right? chimney pot just left of centre? is the top part a fish eye view across a rooftop?

He wasent watching anything. thats the whole point.i do belive.?

ps. no way thats a car.

There seems to be a problem with NTLworld (Who are hosting mine & Gareth's pics) at the moment. Just so people know that they haven't been taken down or anything.

toe, I can't see any sky in my interpretation!

Diabolik said:
It's too 'grainy'. To me it looks like a hill.

I was thinking the hill was the smallish, dark mound towards the left of the bright area and the sky was the blue expanse at the top of the bright area ~ leaving the ocean as the lighter aqua blue area comprising the bottom of the bright area.

I don't know if broadcast satellites are equipped with cameras or if they merely relay transmissions, but I found some images.

A schematic of a 'generic' satellite:

http://www.thetech.org/exhibits/online/satellite/5/5.html

A hi-res image that feels similar (IMO) to the screen capture under discussion, but lacks any specific correlations:

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/navigation/artemisSUNTEST.jpg

(This image takes awhile to resolve itself if you're using a slow computer like I am!)

zardoz said:
He wasent watching anything. thats the whole point.i do belive.?

Yeah, I was trying to watch BBC3, and just got this. I have tried finding out what was being broadcast with no luck - anyone here able to find listings for BBC3 on 11 September 2004? (7.30pm to be precise!)

toe said:
September 11th? :(

Yeah, I know... it was definitely that date because the iPhoto album software on my Mac shows the time and date the pic was taken. To be honest the significance of that date didn't really occur to me until I wrote it down...

I love some of the delightfully silly theories that people propose on this forum. I very much doubt this was anything Fortean, and was probably a glitch in the decoder leading to a frozen frame.

It looks like the skull of a goat or sheep being held at a strange angle, with the hand of someone manipulating it in the bottom left.

It makes me curious as to what the programme was about...

Back