• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Perfume & A UFO

Cherrybomb

Justified & Ancient
Hi all,

The past few days myself and my OH have experienced a strong perfume in either the kitchen or the bedroom of our house. Its a scent similar to one my husbands gran used to wear, she passed away over ten years ago and we have nothing of hers in our home. It seems to come out of no where, i was in our kitchen last night and the scent suddenly seemed to wash over me. It was so strong it made me feel a bit sick. But a few moments later it had gone. We dont have anything that could make such a scent, and its not that unpleasant its just a bit strange.

Also, the day we started to experience this perfume I saw a UFO (I'm not trying to claim these things are related). I was stood in our kitchen looking at the beautiful red sunset over the tops of our neighbours trees, when I saw something fly out from the top of one of the trees, i thought it was a bird but instantly realised it was a bright white ball that moved very quickly, thinking it was a balloon I watched it for a few seconds before it moved behind another tree top that blocked my view, and it was gone. It must have been quite large as it was palm sized from my view and I was quite a distance away from it. It should have passed behind the tree that blocked my view as that tree is in our garden and as i say this object was a fair few meters away and high up. As the sky was so clear i would have seen it move upwards, but it seemed to vanish.

What made you think it wasn't a balloon, Cherry? Blown along and then punctured and fell?

No answers to the smell though, that sounds most odd? You both smelled it? You haven't changed your washing up liquid recently, have you (one of the Fairy Liquids reminds me a bit of old ladies...)

Hi all,

The past few days myself and my OH have experienced a strong perfume in either the kitchen or the bedroom of our house. Its a scent similar to one my husbands gran used to wear, she passed away over ten years ago and we have nothing of hers in our home. It seems to come out of no where, i was in our kitchen last night and the scent suddenly seemed to wash over me. It was so strong it made me feel a bit sick. But a few moments later it had gone. We dont have anything that could make such a scent, and its not that unpleasant its just a bit strange.

Personally I'd be looking for some sort of everyday day practical explanation, though dependant if a person believes in the paranormal, there is a psychic explanation for the smelling of scents which aren't actually there....

Clairolfaction is a form of extra-sensory perception (ESP) that enables the gifted person to receive psychic or paranormal information by means of 'psychic smelling'. Other interchangeable terms used for this 'clair sense' is clairosmesis, clairalience, clairessence and clairscent.

What made you think it wasn't a balloon, Cherry? Blown along and then punctured and fell?

No answers to the smell though, that sounds most odd? You both smelled it? You haven't changed your washing up liquid recently, have you (one of the Fairy Liquids reminds me a bit of old ladies...)

It was a still evening so i didnt think a balloon would be moving that quickly, but it might well have been :) Also the way it vanished didnt seem to make sense to me from my view of it all.

Yes we've both had the perfume experience, nope no changes to washing up liquid, laundry stuff, shower gel, nada! Its not happened for the past 24 hours so maybe it was something naturally occurring?

Personally I'd be looking for some sort of everyday day practical explanation, though dependant if a person believes in the paranormal, there is a psychic explanation for the smelling of scents which aren't actually there....

Clairolfaction is a form of extra-sensory perception (ESP) that enables the gifted person to receive psychic or paranormal information by means of 'psychic smelling'. Other interchangeable terms used for this 'clair sense' is clairosmesis, clairalience, clairessence and clairscent.

Thanks Merle, I have an open mind but tend to veer towards the logical explanation, but thats why i find this interesting, there seems to be no reason for it. I have a chronic illness and often put things down to that, but the fact that my OH has experienced it too made me think I'd share it.

Cherrybomb if I may ask at or around the time of the event did you notice anything missing ,such as a piece of flatware a ball or some other mudune object.Further if the event occurs multiple times do you find the missing objects if that is case at all?

Neighbours having a smoke and 'disguising' it by burning the infernal joss-sticks, you got a contact high and a fun visual out of it!?

Hi all,

Also, the day we started to experience this perfume I saw a UFO (I'm not trying to claim these things are related). I was stood in our kitchen looking at the beautiful red sunset over the tops of our neighbours trees, when I saw something fly out from the top of one of the trees, i thought it was a bird but instantly realised it was a bright white ball that moved very quickly, thinking it was a balloon I watched it for a few seconds before it moved behind another tree top that blocked my view, and it was gone. It must have been quite large as it was palm sized from my view and I was quite a distance away from it. It should have passed behind the tree that blocked my view as that tree is in our garden and as i say this object was a fair few meters away and high up. As the sky was so clear i would have seen it move upwards, but it seemed to vanish.

Some of the old crop sprays in the 70's used to smell of a sickly sweet perfume. Enough of a mouthful would make you feel sick.

Do you live in a farming area Cherry?

Here's an American article:

http://www.opb.org/news/article/curry-county-pesticide-case-highlights-gaps-in-sta/

I'm sure they've cleaned up a lot of these sprays but who knows?

I was also wondering if it was something outside blooming or similar. Our neighbor smokes a water pipe when he's out on his patio. The smell reaches us in our living room even with the doors and windows shut. It must come in through the air vent.

You might have had some sickly sweet flower blooming for a couple of days in a neighbouring garden. Did you have any doors ro windows open? A cap flap with said animal coming and going? A bathroom fan or air vent?

Also, when the wind is blowing in the right direction, I can smell people having bbq's on the other side of the lake and that's about 1 km away so it might not even have to come from your area.

Hi all,

The past few days myself and my OH have experienced a strong perfume in either the kitchen or the bedroom of our house... (snipped)

In our spare room, my OH and I have been smelling a faintly "electrical" burning smell. We have searched high and low and can't find what's causing it (I'm an electronics engineer so I am not a dummy about such things).
It's only there about half the time, and it is only near the door, not in the rest of the room. Sometimes it "leaks" to the landing hallway just outside the spare room door.

We have no idea what's causing it. It took a couple of weeks before my OH smelled it and up to then I thought I was having "smell hallucinations".

In our spare room, my OH and I have been smelling a faintly "electrical" burning smell. We have searched high and low and can't find what's causing it (I'm an electronics engineer so I am not a dummy about such things).
It's only there about half the time, and it is only near the door, not in the rest of the room. Sometimes it "leaks" to the landing hallway just outside the spare room door.

We have no idea what's causing it. It took a couple of weeks before my OH smelled it and up to then I thought I was having "smell hallucinations".
How old is the wiring in the house? Maybe it's due for replacement?

Thanks for all the reply's!

Sadly, I think the scent is coming from next door :( Our neighbour is a young mum and shes had her mother saying over the summer break to help with the kiddie winks, and it seems to be her mothers perfume. Ah well, better luck next time, eh? :reyes::p

We have a mystery aroma at work today. This is an open plan office with sealed windows, lightly populated most days by several teams who have "odd" jobs or those where some degree of security is required. Mixed hot desking does not work for us ( Ha ha). Walking the length of the room I noticed a really strong sweetish, vaguely floral odour with a hint of BO in an area about 6ft long in the middle of the room, as if someone had been standing there spraying body spray on themselves.

I checked with the chaps that no-one had changed their after shave (I can be sensitive to others feelings!) before commenting on the rather overpowering niff. To my relief seconds later they could smell it too, seemed to drift around the room for half an hour then dispersed.

Very odd, I lean towards one of the more obnoxious Lynx products, 1 college thought it could be urinal cake another said it reminded him of the mother in law.

Given the nature of the room, there is no way anyone could have entered or loitered without being seen or offered assistance/ challenged, let alone dropped a urinal cake.

Could have been ball lightening,
did any of these smells come and go in relation to putting the light on and off
if so change the plastic fitting.

Odd one this: I thought about starting a new thread but put it here because of the perfume link.

So twice over the past couple of days, I've heard the new LCD Soundsystem track on the radio, and have simultaneously smelt a strong perfume, a bit like a man's shaving gel. It's happened when I've been alone in the house and the scent has faded very quickly. But both times it has started very abruptly, coinciding with the start of the song.

Not sure what to make of it.

That reminds me of watching Batman Forever at the cinema as a child. At one point I remember smelling a distinctive perfume that seemed to reassert itself in my nostrils whenever The Riddler was on screen. I'm guessing the smell wafting in my direction coincided with his first appearance. Perhaps the same is happening in your case and the smell is wafting about over a longer period, with the song coming on the radio again bringing it to your brain's attention again.

Smells can certainly evoke strong memories of other senses, so why not the other way around?

Doesn't explain what the smell is in the first place though.

That reminds me of watching Batman Forever at the cinema as a child. At one point I remember smelling a distinctive perfume that seemed to reassert itself in my nostrils whenever The Riddler was on screen. I'm guessing the smell wafting in my direction coincided with his first appearance. Perhaps the same is happening in your case and the smell is wafting about over a longer period, with the song coming on the radio again bringing it to your brain's attention again.

There was a 1950s film called Scent of Mystery where smells were let off in the auditorium to enhance the cinematic experience. It wasn't that successful, as one smell would be cued when another could still be smelled, leading to a sensory collision. John Waters found a better solution when he used scratch and sniff cards for his film Polyester in 1980.

Think you might be right Captain_B. That sort of has the ring of truth about it.
Thought I'd post the song. Let me know if it triggers any strange olfactory experiences!

Back