• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Photo

It's a shame we can't find out any more on its provenance from him, but great follow up Anconite :)

I made the image negative and increased the size of the head.

negativeimage.jpg

Seems like it's possible to see some eyes behind the eye covers.

paulsamfreya said:
What kind of person gets off on selling photos of "disfigured babies"?
:wtf:

That would be the kind of person who is trying to make money out of suckers.

The labelling of that photo is pretty dodgy.

wow. that's really strange, vardoger!! now the length of the face from the nose to the chin seems really out of proportion.

It does say man in creepy halloween mask - but, the immobility of the face does suggest (if not mask or makeup) burns recovery.

It looks like its taken in front of the same building. Maybe it is some sort of performance/photo -art after all.

Looks a bit like the 'baby' masks worn by the Government torturers (such as Michael Palin) in the film Brazil.

Erm. I don't really understand what the big thing is here.

Surely you lot have all done something silly for the camera? Do you not think they would have done the same thing 50/60 years back?

I think the only thing that fuels the imagination here is that the pic is in black and white.

If any of you get bored in a couple of months, let me know and I will take a pic of myself with a bizarre mask on my face, surely give you at least 6 pages of excitement.

(Please excuse the sarcasm ;) )

Very bizarre...however whenever I look at it I keep on thinking of that chef from The Muppets (minus the hat of course!)

I love this photo. It’s not nearly as creepy as the first one, but I still find it quietly intriguing. Here is my personal interpretation:

This was a period of time in the states when the ozzie-and-harriet-happy-family-unit mentality was pushed to the point of propaganda. So here is the father figure, the serious bread-winner, standing in front of the American dream and symbol of success and happiness – his own tidy home. Inside a wife cooks dinner while his two children, one male, one female, peacefully play jacks on the floor nearby. And he’s wearing a mask. A mask that looks almost like a human face.

I'm getting the dreaded red X with that ebay picture :\

Could someone upload it to photobucket, please? =)

Who says that the seller didn't create it himself? It's not too hard to make things look old, if they're not to be held up to proper analysis.

Regarding the woman's hands---my mother had an apron with big pockets in front for the storage of clothes pins while hanging wash out on the line. Easily spacious enough to hide her hands in.

The face suggests a wooden mask, but more: the whole attitude of the figure looks a bit stilted. A very good scarecrow? Recently some of my villagers had a scarecrow competition (as part of a very faux and Archers-indebted village festival) and the things do have the capability of scaring the living shit out of one if caught at the wrong moment.

I don't think it's a scarecrow; the body is slightly off-balance and the hands are pulling on the trouser front.

but the way the leg is right perpendicular to the floor - it could be a stake right through. If it were a scarecrow, it would have to be well artistically made, I concede.

Perhaps this is a picture of the person in the first picture, after the bandages have been removed. Im still thinking burns. This is the finished result and note that his hands are in his pockets still which may indicate that they are still badly disfigured? Or maybe they are just a travelling freakshow and the pics are being taken by the fijian mermaid sitting on the tatooed mans shoulders..........? :?

could be the kid is seated in the depression between the humps, giving the illusion of longer legs.

Nah, blue2k is right. She's sitting between the humps, and she's wearing a short shirt with high riding pants. You can see where her hips are.

Looking at the composition of the photo and the angle from which it appears to have been captured, I'd hazard a guess that the photographer was either sitting or crouching, or that they were using a box Brownie-type chest-held camera. It's also possible that the photo was taken by a child (or a midget ;) ).

You see an example of the rare Red Stripe camel which only allows riders who possess red riding outfits.
I thought it looks like a clumsy photoshop "smear".

At first I didn't think the depression between the humps went down far enough but having looked at some photos (in the process discovering that there is a wild camel population in the Australian outback) I think it is just an optical illusion.

I have ridden a camel but it was a dromedary, with one hump. I remember because the tourguide kept calling them "droMADries".

Back