Strange Statues

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Maybe the visitors' shoes will thereafter need less shining? I was intrigued to learn of the cat-couple statue in Krasnodar - I have cat-loving relatives who live there, but this is the first I heard of it.

And surely the well-rubbed portions of the allegedly anatomically-true-to-life statue of Peter the Great in the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg deserve mention here.

View attachment 13341
Peter the Great had microcephaly?

INT21

Antediluvian
Keighley town centre had a statue of the giant 'Rombold'.

But he was rather 'over endowed' (it stood out a mile) and people kept hanging things on it.

So his pride and joy was drastically reduced by the council.

Then he disappeared from the centre.

Maybe he found the whole episode too embarrassing.

INT21.

ravensocks

Devoted Cultist
A giant (or is that colossal) squid statue/ artwork has appeared outside Reading station.
It looked a bit precarious in today's strong winds.

View attachment 13337
Are its tentacles solid, or do they flap around in the wind? A slap in the face from a giant squid at the railway station would be a heck of an excuse for missing a dull meeting...

Cool squid though

ravensocks

Devoted Cultist
Are its tentacles solid, or do they flap around in the wind? A slap in the face from a giant squid at the railway station would be a heck of an excuse for missing a dull meeting...

Cool squid though

Edit - I haven't quite got the hang of navigation yet. I have just seen the later, lit up photo. Definitely cool, definitely not flapping. As you were!

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

Cool squid though
When I first photographed the beast yesterday lunchtime, the tentacles were moving in the wind, with one bent towards the ground and which appeared to have dropped off by the evening. The squid seems to be made from fibreglass, like the notorious "blucifer" statue at Denver airport.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... Babies on the tv tower by Ĉerný
The babies were removed in 2017 for inspection and maintenance purposes. Their (cloned) replacements were re-installed in spring 2019.

For cleaning and structural checks, these Babies were removed from the tower in the fall of 2017. After examination of the condition of the sculptures was made a decision to replace them with identical duplicates. In March 2019 were installed the duplicates of the "Babies" on their original positions. The original Babies were returned to David Černý.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Žižkov_Television_Tower

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Maybe the visitors' shoes will thereafter need less shining? I was intrigued to learn of the cat-couple statue in Krasnodar - I have cat-loving relatives who live there, but this is the first I heard of it.

And surely the well-rubbed portions of the allegedly anatomically-true-to-life statue of Peter the Great in the Peter and Paul Fortress in St Petersburg deserve mention here.

View attachment 13341
You're not the only Fortean to have noticed his strange proportions:

:sneaky2:

maximus otter

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Perhaps a sad reflection on my overuse of social media, but I came into this thread thinking the title said "Strange Statuses". Thought it would be full of weird Facebook posts before people went missing and that.
I bet there is such a thread on here somewhere.