• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

Braille burgers for the blind .. okay, it's blatantly an advert for WIMPY but still quite cool ..

This is from 2015 so sorry if it was already posted but I don't remember seeing it before, and it sounded so disgusting I had to share it! :eek:

Cheese Made From Human Toe Bacteria: The Pinnacle of Scientific Achievement
By Charlie Hintz on April 24, 2015

If you loved vagina yogurt, then you’re going to be really excited about the latest scientific breakthrough: Cheese made from human toe bacteria.

And armpit bacteria.

And belly button bacteria.

Not to mention, each cheese is complete with the donor’s body odor.

http://www.cultofweird.com/science/cheese-made-from-human-toe-bacteria/

My nephew was cooked a meal by a Chinese friend last night, who accidentally bought & prepared some daffodils for it. Nephew ate the lot and later complained on Facebook about terrible D&V and colic. It eventually all went quiet, apart from some mickey-taking. Haven't heard from him since late last night. Wondering if I should drop round and see if he's OK.

Daffodils are really poisonous, I'd recommend a hospital trip!

That's a relief! But it's also a warning not to allow it to happen again and be careful.

He reckons he's going to lobby Aldi to label up flowers as|"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

(sorry, cat on poster)

poisonous to stop it happening again.

He must have a strong constitution - just as well.

Caramel made from giant jellyfish in Japan has been offered to astronauts ..

http://pinktentacle.com/tag/jellyfish/

echizen_kurage_caramel_1.jpg

My nephew was cooked a meal by a Chinese friend last night, who accidentally bought & prepared some daffodils for it. Nephew ate the lot and later complained on Facebook about terrible D&V and colic.

What?..You've got to try really hard to do this. Daffodils would be in the flower section, not vegetable, probably labelled as daffodils, & they have a yellow flower which looks nothing like any vegetable I've ever seen.

How did your nephew find out? whilst eating it or did the friend own up later?

The Chinese friend bought a bag of daffodil bulbs from the supermarket, presumably taking them for onions. People've made this mistake and died or killed someone as a result. It was even once featured on Casualty!

Both Nephew and friend were prostrate for about 12 hours but they're OK now. We will NEVER let him forget it though.

horriddining5.jpg

Another one from the Awful Library site. These retro cook-books were always promoting bottled, canned and dehydrated stuff in place of wholesome ingredients. The cat-sick is made from things called "Worthington White Chik Prime" OR "Battle Creek Vegetable Steaks," neither of which give me much of an appetite!

All I know of Proteena is that it comes in a 20-ounce can and could be sliced; it sounds a bit elaborate preparation-wise for something destined for the garbage.

The Tomato Delight Sandwich could be a mask for a nuclear accident victim.

As for those Piquant Balls . . . :eek::eek::eek:

I can hear the sound of Count Stroganoff turning in his stomach.

This page reveals that the horrors of Proteena etc. were vegetarian delights by Lorna Linda Foods, sold to Kellogg's and now discontinued.

Last edited:
^ 60s/70s cookbooks are always fantastic reads. My wife, who's not British, is forever stunned by the horror that is...salmon mousse!

feeah.jpg

(Note to publisher - describing a dish as a "mold" is never going to be appealing.)

It looks cool, but is a little bit yuck - if that recipe is the same as the salmon mousse I've tasted.

describing a dish as a "mold" is never going to be appealing

They were obsessed with aspic and gelatine in those days! It may have been a throw-back (or a throw-up) from the days of Mrs Beeton, when the preparation of jellies from bones etc. was a prolonged business and a real status symbol.

They were obsessed with aspic and gelatine in those days! It may have been a throw-back (or a throw-up) from the days of Mrs Beeton, when the preparation of jellies from bones etc. was a prolonged business and a real status symbol.

British...ahem, "cuisine", does not have a prestigious history.

We 'ad nowt fancy like that, oop 'ere, lad. One sniff of an Atora pud had to last yer t'week! That's if yer wer lucky nuff to 'ave a nose. :p

If it's done properly, it's a bit better than that bald description.
The Mrs is astounding at Sunday roasts .. we can't often afford to make one but when we do we plan it days in advance (including where we will source the ingredients) .. she's especially proud of how she does her homemade yorkies and homemade gravy and justifiably so ..

Back