• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Study: Female Psychopaths Are Surprisingly Common

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
While the word psychopath usually conjures up images of knife-wielding attackers and masked assailants for most people, not all psychopaths are serial killers. The vast majority simply blend in with the rest of society, all the while masking their cold and calculating true nature. Now, new research set for presentation at Cambridge may just disprove yet another psychopath falsity. Most depictions and popular examples of psychopaths in the media are male, but the study argues female psychopaths are up to five times more common than currently believed.

Dr. Clive Boddy, an expert in corporate psychopathy from Anglia Ruskin University, is set to present his findings at the Cambridge Festival. While current estimates tell us male psychopaths outnumber females by roughly six to one, Dr. Boddy believes prior studies have failed to properly identify female psychopaths. This is in large part due to solely basing profiles around criminal and male psychopaths.

According to his latest research, the real ratio of male-female psychopathy may be roughly 1.2:1, or up to five times higher than previously estimated.

Referencing research pertaining to corporate psychopaths and how they operate in high-achieving roles in workplaces, Dr. Boddy explains female psychopaths tend to be more manipulative than males, use different techniques to create good impressions, and use deceit and sexually seductive behavior to gain social and financial advantages more often than male psychopaths.

Boddy says in a media release: “...female psychopaths tend to use words, rather than violence, to achieve their aims, differing from how male psychopaths tend to operate."

https://studyfinds.org/female-psychopaths-are-surprisingly-common/

maximus otter

While the word psychopath usually conjures up images of knife-wielding attackers and masked assailants for most people, not all psychopaths are serial killers. The vast majority simply blend in with the rest of society, all the while masking their cold and calculating true nature. Now, new research set for presentation at Cambridge may just disprove yet another psychopath falsity. Most depictions and popular examples of psychopaths in the media are male, but the study argues female psychopaths are up to five times more common than currently believed.

Dr. Clive Boddy, an expert in corporate psychopathy from Anglia Ruskin University, is set to present his findings at the Cambridge Festival. While current estimates tell us male psychopaths outnumber females by roughly six to one, Dr. Boddy believes prior studies have failed to properly identify female psychopaths. This is in large part due to solely basing profiles around criminal and male psychopaths.

According to his latest research, the real ratio of male-female psychopathy may be roughly 1.2:1, or up to five times higher than previously estimated.

Referencing research pertaining to corporate psychopaths and how they operate in high-achieving roles in workplaces, Dr. Boddy explains female psychopaths tend to be more manipulative than males, use different techniques to create good impressions, and use deceit and sexually seductive behavior to gain social and financial advantages more often than male psychopaths.

Boddy says in a media release: “...female psychopaths tend to use words, rather than violence, to achieve their aims, differing from how male psychopaths tend to operate."

https://studyfinds.org/female-psychopaths-are-surprisingly-common/

maximus otter
I wonder whether, as in autism, females are just better at 'masking' or managing to copy social signals well enough so as not to appear different? So female psychopaths can fit in better in society and maybe slip under a lot of people's radar, as it presents differently?

I wonder whether, as in autism, females are just better at 'masking' or managing to copy social signals well enough so as not to appear different? So female psychopaths can fit in better in society and maybe slip under a lot of people's radar, as it presents differently?

This is certainly a very common autistic female analysis of the number of female psychopaths!

Well, psychopathic behaviour anyway.

Females are far less likely to be seriously violent, so the serial killer psychopathic stereotype almost never applies - the only one I can think of is Joanna Dennehy.

To be honest, I don't think most male psychopaths are going to be seriously violent. It's more about control than killing.
From a lot of experience of controlling males in management - no they are not seriously violent. Unless challenged by someone who doesn't buy their bullsh*t. But, in my experience again, they don't know how to deal with someone who isn't fazed by the threats.

From a lot of experience of controlling males in management - no they are not seriously violent. Unless challenged by someone who doesn't buy their bullsh*t. But, in my experience again, they don't know how to deal with someone who isn't fazed by the threats.
I think the article is suggesting how female psychopathy is not about the violence in males as much as the toxic mental manipulation performed by women to achieve their goals.

I think the article is suggesting how female psychopathy is not about the violence in males as much as the toxic mental manipulation performed by women to achieve their goals.
Just like men. Surely the observation that there are nice people and nasty people is cross sexual? If there is such a word.

Violence attached thereto is mostly male, however.

I've worked with a couple of extremely manipulative women, but its was achieved through very passive aggressive behaviour so difficult to pin down and explain.

the usual response to any concerns raised was along the lines " oh, but she is so sweet and had such a hard life", sooner or later the cracks would show and they would move on to a role, often at a higher paygrade leave a battered and dysfunctional team in their wake. They seem to get their kicks by spreading discord.

Back