• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sun / Solar Visual Phenomena (Halo, Ring, Sun Dog etc.)

pinkstarbuck said:
I`vce never heard of the tem "wolf rings" before!

It seems our canine friends (domestic, wild and mythological) are more important to astronomy than i originally thought!
Haven't you heard of the constellations Canis Major and Minor? (Sirius is often called the Dog Star - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius )
And there is also a southern hemisphere constellation called Lupus (the Wolf).

Here is a nice collection of the "two suns" phenomena being presently photographed around the world. Didn't see a previous topic started on this so if a mod knows of it, please merge.

Otherwise, this link to Chris Holly's Paranormal World has a good roundup of clips documenting the odd sight. Be patient, though. The site can take a while to load.

http://bit.ly/nW7SIH

What do you think? Optical illusion? Something else?

DT

Sundog? Parhelion?

Don't know, Mythopoeika. I know I've been seeing bits and pieces of this story for a little while now. Haven't a clue.

How about a BVM sighting? :lol:

Does seem to be sundogs or something similar.

I vote for sundogs and reflections. Maybe it's the end of the world but most likely it's sundogs and reflections.

The ones where the two suns are widely spaced, are definitely sun dogs. (obviously whoever posted the images has never bothered to Google an image search on sun dogs). The ones with the ball near to the sun look like internal reflections in the camera lens.

sundogs. They can be very bright, as shown in this photo.
File:Fargo_Sundogs_2_18_09.jpg

A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion, plural parhelia, from Greek ... (...) from ... (beside) + ... (sun), "beside the sun"; also called a mock sun[citation needed] or a phantom sun[citation needed]) is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundog

Chris Holly is obviously a good example of a fluffy woo-woo! :twisted:

Saw double suns (sundog) locally (Derbyshire) a couple of months ago and posted report on 'Weird Weather' thread. Have seen this before but was very pronounced on this occasion unfortunately did not have camera.

What? Someone talking to me?

As resident Sundog I can personally attest that these are my namesakes - - well, the full halo around the sun phtographed in Vancouver has another name which escapes me (uh, maybe "halo"?), but its essentially the same ice-crystal-refraction kind of phenomenon. We mean you no harm, we come in peace.

Lots of info on sundogs, arcs, halos and other 'light displays' here: http://www.atoptics.co.uk/. The one I always like to see is the circumzenithal arc - will link to some of my pics later.

But most interesting one I've ever seen was a 120 deg parhelia. It looked like a bright round shield. 'mazin'

(Not especially weird but rather nice anyway.)

Tomas Björnerbäck took these incredible photos with his phone showing the sun over the ski region Hemavan when he went up one of the main ski lifts, Kungsliften.

“The trip up started really foggy with only 50 metres of visibility”, he told The Local.

But soon the trip would be worth the effort.

“At around half way to the top, we suddenly came out of the fog, above the clouds, and the blue sky was all around us. There were ice crystals in the air, and from the top of the ski lift, I took these pictures.”

b8b79024a73c46981fac53c92afa0d7250395b2d27254521e072bc49828a8ed0.jpg

http://www.thelocal.se/20170209/in-...halo-lights-up-sky-in-northern-sweden-hemavan

A swede in Borlängen photographed a new kind of sun halo a few days ago according to the Swedish Meteorological Institute.

New Halo

Oh wow that's impressive. I've seen pictures of ones where there is the 'sun dog' (I think that's what they're called?) on each side of the sun, but never like that with the halo all the way around and then the upside-down halo above it.

This is rather odd (especially since I'm very-familiar with the location): a contributor called Grant sent alleged video footage to that well-established YouTube exponent Mr.MBB333 of a strange beam of light shining from low away out on the north-west horizon past Scotland at around 0930hrs GMT, viewed looking North from Fife, when the sun most-certainly should've just been perhaps 10deg above the horizon, ie rising in the east / away to the right in this footage. Which (if genuinely true, for location/context) makes no sense.

(the curious mini-rainbow/sun-dog part of the video is at around 6min11sec in...)

mysterysundog.png

Screenshot 2023-02-12 222711.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-12 225152.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-12 222847.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-12 222923.jpg

(ps I am always unsure exactly how to interpret Mr.MBB333, but at least he appears: enthusiastic)

Last edited:
I went out hoping to see the sunrise but it's a foggy morning. I couldn't see the sun at all until it was climbing through the fog layer. When I looked at the pictures at home I noticed the sunspots!

sunspots C63A3219.jpg

I saw a curious phenomenon thus afternoon. I'm currently in Denmark and was walking along some cliffs overlooking the sea, the sun was ahead, lightly obscured by cloud, by some trick of the atmosphere, I could see a second sun off to the right, displaying rainbow colours:

20230914_200912.jpg

The real sun is above left of the central trees, the false sun is to the right of the trees, and appeared brighter, although that's not how it looks in the photo. I'm sure someone on here can explain what's going on here.

Last edited:
Here's the picture used on the Wiki page about parhelia / sun dogs (as this is what you saw part of):
Fargo_Sundogs_2_18_09.jpg

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

A sun dog (or sundog) or mock sun, also called a parhelion (plural parhelia) in meteorology, is an atmospheric optical phenomenon that consists of a bright spot to one or both sides of the Sun. Two sun dogs often flank the Sun within a 22° halo

There will probably have been a third 'sun' (second parhelion) at your location: was it obscured by local terrain?

Last edited:
I caught one on my phone Wednesday

This is an interesting but confusing picture....although I've only rarely seen the 'sun dog' effect, on those occasions (and in any pictures depicting it) the parhelia are parallel to the visual horizon: or, at equal apparent heights above the horizon (as per the exemplar picture on the Wiki page op cit).

Your picture makes me think I might've been wrong in my lifelong expectations about this. Partly because I can't establish a proper horizon datum, especially with your first picture.

May I ask what the type of location was, where you took these pictures?

My initial impression was almost similar to the effects visible from within an aircraft at high altitude, where the sun is 'setting' (or 'rising') below high cloud layers.

The second thought I had was a picture taken facing out to sea...and the third was almost like the effects visible at great height from a mountain during sunset/sunrise.

But none of those scenarios explain (within my potentially-flawed expectations on this) why the parhelia are 'canted' relative to the viewers implied metahorizon....

I don't mean anything to do with the short upsloping rays from each sun-dog, I mean the markedly-higher elevation between the left sun-dog (viewer's left) and the 'ground', in comparison with the lower position of that on the viewer's right.

Why the 'skew'? Or does that just happen sometimes, and I've never known it could?

This is an interesting but confusing picture....although I've only rarely seen the 'sun dog' effect, on those occasions (and in any pictures depicting it) the parhelia are parallel to the visual horizon: or, at equal apparent heights above the horizon (as per the exemplar picture on the Wiki page op cit).

Your picture makes me think I might've been wrong in my lifelong expectations about this. Partly because I can't establish a proper horizon datum, especially with your first picture.

May I ask what the type of location was, where you took these pictures?

My initial impression was almost similar to the effects visible from within an aircraft at high altitude, where the sun is 'setting' (or 'rising') below high cloud layers.

The second thought I had was a picture taken facing out to sea...and the third was almost like the effects visible at great height from a mountain during sunset/sunrise.

But none of those scenarios explain (within my potentially-flawed expectations on this) why the parhelia are 'canted' relative to the viewers implied metahorizon....

I don't mean anything to do with the short upsloping rays from each sun-dog, I mean the markedly-higher elevation between the left sun-dog (viewer's left) and the 'ground', in comparison with the lower position of that on the viewer's right.

Why the 'skew'? Or does that just happen sometimes, and I've never known it could?
I've never noticed that before or maybe I've seen it bit didn't realise that I'd seen it. If that makes sense.

Back