• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, we have to look at Russia from a Russian perspective. They have a country in which the values of 'the family', 'religion', and defence of their country, are highly regarded. Russians that are critical of the way in which those values are upheld, whether that be by military and/or political action, especially if they hold a position of responsibility, or are active through their media channels, will put a target on their own back.
Putin has played to that set of values, along with the threat of reprisals, and that has kept him in power.
Pictures of him doing martial arts, and being bare-chested riding a horse etc weren't produced by accident.

He usually has the decency to offer his critics a choice...

putin.png

Another mystery Russian death as minister 'who condemned Putin's war in Ukraine' falls fatally ill on flight to Moscow

A MINISTER believed to have privately condemned Vladimir Putin's invasion has become the latest member of Russia's elite to die in mysterious circumstances.

Petr Kucherenko, 46, suddenly became ill on a flight while returning to Moscow from a business trip in Cuba on May 20.

Doctors rushed to give deputy science minister Kucherenko CPR after the plane made an emergency landing, but he was pronounced dead.

It is understood heart problems are being blamed for Kucherenko's death - but an autopsy has been scheduled for Wednesday.

According to independent journalist Roman Super, Kucherenko had previously blasted what he called Putin’s "fascist invasion" of Ukraine.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22439933/minister-condemned-war-ukraine-dead/

maximus otter

Same as above:

Senior Russian Official Dies After Privately Bemoaning ‘Fascist’ Invasion

Russia’s Deputy Science Minister Pyotr Kucherenko has died months after a prominent journalist recalled him criticizing the invasion of Ukraine in private conversations.

Kucherenko, 46, fell seriously ill on board a flight returning from Cuba on Saturday, Russia’s Science and Higher Education Ministry said Sunday.

The flight made an emergency landing in southern Russia but doctors who arrived onboard were unable to save the official.

Kucherenko’s family linked his death to a heart condition but declined to elaborate pending a forensic examination scheduled for Wednesday, according to the state-run broadcaster Zvezda.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023...r-privately-bemoaning-fascist-invasion-a81223

I'm a member of the Mr Jolly Lives Next Door facebook group. Every time one of these incidents happens, someone says, "Not Fatty's Game !" and makes reference to someone falling out of an 18th floor window.

With the Wagner Group being increasingly 'discontented' with Putin's income ... er ... input, I forsee quite a few more defenistrations.

Considering the latest news coming out of Moscow - and much of the news coming from security organisations - I think there might be some senior military commanders who'll come down with "Defenestration Sickness".

Considering the latest news coming out of Moscow - and much of the news coming from security organisations - I think there might be some senior military commanders who'll come down with "Defenestration Sickness".
Yes... interesting developments there. Shoigu might be the first.

Indeed. This would be tantamount to Hitler calling his own SS traitors and vowing to crush them.
Who knows what will happen now?
At least it may take the heat off Ukraine for a bit.

This clash between the Wagner group and Russian authorities is a fantastic opportunity for the Russian people to remove Putin's dictatorship.
That said, Prigozhin is not a good man either, so they'd need to remove him too (or maybe reward him in some way).

Yes... interesting developments there. Shoigu might be the first.
I think Putin has painted himself in the corner with Shoigu.
He has to back his own official minister over a mercenary leader or else (n his own eyes) he'll look weak. It'll look like Wagner control the Russian military and not the other way around. If Shoigu tops himself - "I'm putting my country before my life" - then it'll look even worse.
Putin's continued - and obvious - reliance on Wagner troops in Ukraine shows that Putin's been using Wagner troops, as well as poorly trained and equipped conscripts, as cannon fodder, 'holding back' the professional Russian troops.
This sudden action might be Prigozhin (the Wagner head) saying they're sick of this.
Hard to tell what will happen - Prigozhin has never criticised Putin publically but always gone for the ministers ... who Putin personally installed. "I don't blame the Tzar, just those he employed" is easily percieved as indirect criticism yet deniable.

It really doesn't help that Putin instinctively branded Wagner as traitors against Mother Russia; no going back from that!

This clash between the Wagner group and Russian authorities is a fantastic opportunity for the Russian people to remove Putin's dictatorship.
That said, Prigozhin is not a good man either, so they'd need to remove him too (or maybe reward him in some way).

Prigozhin's battle cry is "25,000 soldiers to liberate the Russians".
Looks like he's serious about starting this revolution/coup.
Sounds like a good thing, but I will suspend my judgment for the time being.

One expert commentator on Times Radio speculated that Putin's days were numbered in how long he could keep control of the situation. Many of the kleptocrats that benefitted from his rule are starting to moan (not openly of course) that they can't spend their stolen wealth in all the nice holiday resorts that they used to. It was only the fact that no one wanted to open the conversation, for fear of informants and the Russian secret service.
This was about two weeks ago. Looks like Prigozhin was the first to crack.

Two snakes fighting in a bucket.

One kills and eats the other.

Result: A snake that comes out of the bucket bigger than it went in.

There are clearly some potential positives to the developing situation; but I'd be extremely careful about betting on any assumption that relies on those being more likely than the potential negatives.

Edit: Apologies. Veering off thread. Unless?

Well, in that case - to borrow a line from a famous fisherman: 'You're going to need a bigger window.'

Last edited:
Two snakes fighting in a bucket.

One kills and eats the other.

Result: A snake that comes out of the bucket bigger than it went in.

There are clearly some potential positives to the developing situation; but I'd be extremely careful about betting on any assumption that relies on those being more likely than the potential negatives.

Edit: Apologies. Veering off thread. Unless?

Well, in that case - to borrow a line from a famous fisherman: 'You're going to need a bigger window.'
The whole thing could even turn out to be a disinfo campaign to create confusion.

That said, I do think the defenestrations will continue regardless.

I do think the defenestrations will continue regardless.
Until morale improves?

What will be of particular interest is whether the Wagnerian army has battles with Putin's forces, or picks up further Russian anti-Putin support as it heads inland towards Volgograd.

"Run to the hills!"

- "They're coming from the hills!"

"Run away from the hills! If you see the hills, run in the opposite direction!"

I'd be surprised if he'd decided to flee already.
I mean, the machinery of the whole Russian state is at Putin's disposal.

I'd be surprised if he'd decided to flee already.
I mean, the machinery of the whole Russian state is at Putin's disposal.

Until elements of that state decide to back Prigozhin.
The Wagner army seems to have seized (or they would say liberated) a second Russian city - Voronezh.
Meanwhile the Ukrainians are running low on popcorn.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian state army has much less advanced weaponry than a privately funded guerrilla/militia group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back