Swallowed Up By The Ground: Sinkholes!

A

Anonymous

Reading the thread on humans buried in concrete reminded me of a story I heard when I was a kid. I lived on a crossroads and I was told by several people that in the early years of the 20th century a house and cart had just turned one of the corners when the ground just opened up beneath them and driver, horse, cart and all were swallowed up never to be seen again. Now, I don't believe any aspect of this story but are there any other stories of people/vechicles being swallowed by the earth, is it a common UL????????

Coincidentally, I lived a mere stones throw from the cemetry where a PC Gutteridge is buried whose killers goughed his eye out in case their image was 'photographed' on them ( a UL now hopefully long dead!!!).....this murder case is famous for something, first time fingerprints used or something like that but I can't remember what...............

rossba1

Devoted Cultist
An old bridge near where i live in the Highlands- cant remember what it is called but it was recently "probed" and they found the outline of a horse and cart in the concrete. Dont know what technique they used- presumably some kind of sonic method. It was quite well publicised. In the Inverness Courier and th Aberdeen Press&Journal

A

Anonymous

Re: Swallowed up by the ground......

Blueswidow said:
Coincidentally, I lived a mere stones throw from the cemetry where a PC Gutteridge is buried whose killers goughed his eye out in case their image was 'photographed' on them ( a UL now hopefully long dead
- but it figured in 'wild wild west' possibly the worst film ever made!

carole

Justified & Ancient
They also photographed the eyes of one of the Ripper victims in case her murderer's image was imprinted on them.

Carole

rynner2

Great Old One
I'm going to go against the grain here (for me) and drag this thread back on topic!

It is not uncommon for the ground to open up and swallow people. It happens due to subsidence over old mines, or even to the collapse of inadequately 'capped' mineshafts. I would say it happens at least once a year here in Cornwall, and there are similar tales from other old mining districts.

Admittedly most of these subsidences do not result in fatalities, but there have been any number of close calls. One women was hnging out her washing when her garden collapsed beneath her, and in Camborne, back in the 19th century, a parade ground disappeared into the depths only a short while after the local Volunteer regiment had been marching on it!

A

Anonymous

barndad said:
An old bridge near where i live in the Highlands- cant remember what it is called but it was recently "probed" and they found the outline of a horse and cart in the concrete. Dont know what technique they used- presumably some kind of sonic method. It was quite well publicised. In the Inverness Courier and th Aberdeen Press&Journal
Do you have a link to any of the stories about this?

sureshot

A

Anonymous

I think I remember this story too. A horse and cart fell down a deep (tall?) hollow pillar whilst the bridge was being constructed. It was too deep to rescue the horse (and it probably didn't survive the fall) so they filled it in.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A huge hole opened up in a street in Crewe, Cheshire a week or 2 back when a car fell through the tarmac! A nearby stream had somehow saturated the ground and washed everything away beneath the road. The girl whose car sank wasn't hurt, but wasn't a happy bunny either!

See FT 147 page 22 for a photograph of the 40 ft deep hole that appeared recently in a garden at Thorpe St Andrew, near Norwich. I've got a feeling that a similar incident to the one escargot mentions happened in Stoke a few years back.

Also, can anyone else recall a black and white photograph of a double-decker bus sticking out of a huge hole in the road?

rossba1

Devoted Cultist
Sureshot, gabbarabbit seems to have found it. I tried searching the inverness courier http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/ but it doesnt go back far enough. As my local paper its full of interesting stuff. Quite often fortean "Nessie" things and other stuff.
As to photographing dead people's eyes- Do you think David Lynch had heard of this when he wrote Twin Peaks? I mean about the scene where Cooper watches the video of Laura and sees the reflection of Jamies bike in her eyes (those who watched on Sat. might have it fresh i their heads).
There may be some kind of deep subconscious thing that makes the eyes of dead people particularly facsnating/creepy/repellent.

intaglio

Justified & Ancient
Spook said:
See FT 147 page 22 for a photograph of the 40 ft deep hole that appeared recently in a garden at Thorpe St Andrew, near Norwich. I've got a feeling that a similar incident to the one escargot mentions happened in Stoke a few years back.

Also, can anyone else recall a black and white photograph of a double-decker bus sticking out of a huge hole in the road?
There are 2 possible I know of that show that. One is the famous one taken in the Blitz and one concerns a north English city (Bradford? Blackburn?) where they measured holes in DDBs (Double Decker Bus'). Norwich too has a bad reputation for sudden cavities.

intaglio

Justified & Ancient
Hermes said:
.... Folklorists out there will be familiar with the story of Revd & Professor Robert Kirk of Aberfoyle, author of The Secret Commonwealth of Elves and Fairies (c.1791), who vanished - appropriately - at a now-famous fairy mound - the first 'abductee'?
Surely Thomas the Rhymer

JurekB

Devoted Cultist
Wasn't the hole in Norwich caused by a piece of glacier from the ice age getting trapped underground so that when it finally melted it left a huge cavity? This hole then sat there for thousands of years before the ground finally fell in.

A

Anonymous

a horror sidenote

The writer Peter Straub in his novel "Floating Dragon" gives an account of a spit of land that splits open and swallows a church's congregation out there for a Sunday picnic. The ground closes over them, and their screams can be heard by nearby ships. Mr. Straub is known to research folklore and fortean items of interest while preparing to write, so maybe that could be looked into, maybe if there is some Straub "superfan" out there who has some idea where he may have come up with this particular motif.
Of course he may have just created the whole scene purely from his imagination.
Maybe I didn't see it, but did anyone say anything about the Hans Christian Andersson story "The Girl Who Trod on a Loaf of Bread"? If I'm not mistaken one of it's central images is of a girl being "swallowed up by the ground". It may not be a modern urban legend, but I think it will fit under a folklore category quite nicely.

rynner2

Great Old One
There was a major landslip near Axmouth, southeast Devon, in the19th century, described as "The Wonder of the Age". Amazingly, no-one was killed.

Click here for Old Picture ; here for Story

A

Anonymous

Now if you're looking for weird places, try the Undercliff created by the above landslip. The coastal path between Seaton and Lyme Regis - both picturesque and eerie.

And the cliffs are still crumbling into the sea on fossil beach, of course.

:)

rynner2

Great Old One
The latest FT has a piece about people and places swallowed up by the ground in France, caused by the collapse of old limestone quarries (which were more like caves, in fact).

rynner2

Great Old One
Another Cornish 'ole

In Redruth today, half of a bungalow's front garden diappeared down a huge hole, thought to be an old mine shaft. (The mine last worked in 1890.)

When the local TV cameras got there, the sounds of falling rock and rubble could still be heard, echoing out of the hole - creepy!

Luckily no-one was hurt in this incident, but the home-owners have had to move out as the hole is still growing, and the road alongside is also at risk.

There was a lot of rain in this area today, and this probably triggered the collapse.

Vardoger

Like To Roam The Land
Sinkholes!

Giant sinkhole in Guatemala swallows father, teens
Associated Press
Published Friday, February 23, 2007
GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala (AP) -- A giant sinkhole opened before dawn Friday, swallowing several homes and a truck and leaving a father and two teenagers missing in Guatemala City.

Officials said the 100-meter-deep (330-foot-deep) sinkhole in a crowded neighborhood of poor, concrete homes was caused by recent rains and an underground sewage flow from a ruptured main.
RELATED CONTENT
West Central Tribune Talk About It Icon Add a comment

National disaster coordinator Hugo Hernandez identified the missing as Domingo, Irma and David Sosyos, ages 53, 18 and 15, respectively. A body appeared in a river of sewage near the sinkhole, but it was unclear whether the corpse was a victim.

"The shaking of the house woke us up," said 26-year old Edward Ramirez, who lives 50 meters (50 yards) from the sinkhole and said residents had been hearing noises and feeling tremors for about a month. "People were shouting 'the electric posts are falling down!' We are going to a friend's house now, there's no way we'll stay here."

Authorities said the hole was extremely unstable, forcing the evacuation of nearly 1,000 people from their homes. Police helped residents, some even carrying refrigerators and televisions on their shoulders.

The pit was emitting foul odors, loud noises and tremors, and a rush of water could be heard from its depths. Authorities feared it could widen or others could open up.

Security officials were on guard for possible looters and to clear the area of onlookers.

Cristobal Colon, a spokesman for the municipal water authority, said the sewage main ruptured after becoming clogged. He said the city was aware of the blockage and the army had considered a controlled explosion to clear the pipe, which carries both rainwater and sewage for much of the capital.

Antonio Fuentes, 50, said he plans to abandon the run-down neighborhood he has called home for 15 years.

"Last night a friend had to take my handicapped wife out on motorcycle," he said. "Now I'm leaving for good, never to come back."
Article link

A couple of good photos in this norwegian newspaper

shellac7

Junior Acolyte
Crews probe Guatemala sinkhole as neighbors flee

GUATEMALA CITY — A cavernous and almost perfectly round sinkhole swallowed an entire intersection in Guatemala City during a tropical storm, spooking people in the neighborhood but exciting geologists.
The hole is 66 feet (20 meters) across and plunges nearly 100 feet (30 meters) deep.
Geologists said Tuesday that the circular shape suggested a cave formation underneath, but what exactly caused the sinkhole was still a mystery.
"I can tell you what it's not: It's not a geological fault, and it's not the product of an earthquake," said David Monterroso, a geophysics engineer at the National Disaster Management Agency. "That's all we know. We're going to have to descend."
The sinkhole formed Saturday and gulped down a clothing factory about three miles (two kilometers) from the site of a similar sinkhole three years ago.
Neighbors said it was a miracle no factory workers died.
"The boys were lucky," resident Honora Oliva said. "They left at six that afternoon, an hour before the earth opened up."
Neighbors said a weekend security guard also was spared because he had left to tend to his house, which flooded from heavy rain as Tropical Storm Agatha bore down on Central America. The storm has killed at least 180 people.
Some neighbors believe one or two people might have disappeared, but authorities said no deaths had been reported.
Crews were waiting for blueprints of the city's drainage system before investigating further.
The 2007 sinkhole killed three people and swallowed several homes in the same area. It was blamed on rain and an underground sewage flow, but it is too early to say whether those problems are to blame this time, said Monterroso, who also investigated the previous incident.
Police and soldiers stood guard around the sinkhole to prevent the curious from getting too close. Most people living nearby have moved out, fearful the hole will expand and swallow more homes.
"We're not going to wait," said one man who declined to give his name. "We've already rented elsewhere and we're leaving now."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD9G2SPD83

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I think the phrase "holy sh*t" comes to mind :shock:

That i find genuinely quite frightening. Ghosts and ghoulies can scare me all they want, but the idea that the ground under your feet can suddenly turn into a 100ft drop :shock: :shock: :shock: