• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Quite true. Science deniers will look for the sources that tell them what they want, and will usually find them.

Back when flat earthers were making headway, probably around lockdown 2020, Sabine Hossenfelder released a video saying flerfs are not stupid, they're just empiricist. The Earth looks flat, so they believe it to be. I don't know how much time she spent looking into it. She claimed they believe the Earth is accelerating upwards at 9.8m/s² to account for gravity, and in my experience that's a very rare belief among flerfs. But I can testify that you can give flerfs all manner of visual evidence that refutes their model and they'll wave it away with gymnastics of reason or just ignore it.

But one thing about which she was right is we all need to get our information from somewhere. I can't prove evolution myself, so I trust those who do. I can't prove their evidence isn't faked, so I take their word for it. Human progress depends on this collaborative process between people across time. People with some emotional drive, however small, to ignore scientific discovery will find someone (sometimes even scientists) who will give them something to support their intuitions against the depth of scientific knowledge.
More examples supporting the point that flat earthism is not a simple issue of people being "stupid". It's a complex social problem that isn't fixed so easily. People can get there by several paths.

I've had mostly poor experiences in "management training". Similarly, when I mention how unhelpful, pseudoscientific, or potentially misleading some of it is, I'm told to shut up too.
They don't like to be told the truth.

From my own experiences of this kind of bullshit 'training', I think the underlying agenda is to find what they consider to be 'troublemakers' or 'people who think for themselves'. Then those people are put on a list. This is why I hate large corporations.

More examples supporting the point that flat earthism is not a simple issue of people being "stupid". It's a complex social problem that isn't fixed so easily. People can get there by several paths.
It's definitely a sign that formal education methods have failed somewhere along the line.
Flat Earthers do seem to interpret and process information differently.

It's definitely a sign that formal education methods have failed somewhere along the line.
Flat Earthers do seem to interpret and process information differently.
I wish I could agree, but by and large I think they process information in much the way most people do, they just apply it to something most of us take for granted.

Here's a doofus getting trolled hard by some professionals. Funny! They proved he just parrots whatever claptrap hits his inbox. SciManDan had fun with this one.

It's a while since I've followed the flat Earth 'debate', it's nice to see the all the old debunkers still at it. But they must be getting bored by now. This has been going for years, and the arguments never change.

It's a while since I've followed the flat Earth 'debate', it's nice to see the all the old debunkers still at it. But they must be getting bored by now. This has been going for years, and the arguments never change.
Yeah, same old crap year after year. I have a hard time taking any of them seriously, even though I know how stupid some people can be. They apparently do the same amount of actual investigation as the Apollo deniers, all the while telling us to do our "own research", which apparently means watching other crackpots on Youtube. Nice little circle jerk they have going.

Yeah, same old crap year after year. I have a hard time taking any of them seriously, even though I know how stupid some people can be. They apparently do the same amount of actual investigation as the Apollo deniers, all the while telling us to do our "own research", which apparently means watching other crackpots on Youtube. Nice little circle jerk they have going.
For what it's worth, I think some of them do sincerely believe the Earth is flat, but I'm convinced some of the drivers of the community are just doing it for YouTube views and to sell merch. People like Mark Sargent, who if you've seen a flerf being interviewed on TV was probably the one, Nathan Oakley, who's probably among the most worthless creatures on the globe, Eric DuBay, and so on, would be nobodies if they didn't promote flerfism. I take them seriously only insofar as they're damaging the experience folk could have learning actual science (and, more importantly, how to really think scientifically) by giving them an easy to intuit replacement to things they don't readily understand. But that's people for you.

For me?

I have less fecks to give to give flatearthers time to gibber.

Is there a bunker - called a survivalist shelter or somesuch - that they can do a circle-jerk with each other and leave the rest of humanity alone?

We are talking individual planets, not a big accretion disk around a sun.

For me?

I have less fecks to give to give flatearthers time to gibber.

Is there a bunker - called a survivalist shelter or somesuch - that they can do a circle-jerk with each other and leave the rest of humanity alone?
I would suggest 'the cave of farting tossers' of old FTMB renown.

Why all the hate and contempt for Flat Earthers? Their ideas are daft, but no dafter than hundreds of millions of people who believe that there’s a man with a long beard sitting in the sky who controls everything. And flerfers don’t want to kill me for not sharing their beliefs.

maximus otter

Showing that there isn`t a big bearded guy in the sky is complicated. Showing that the world isn`t flat could be done in an afternoon.
Besides, I suspect there might be a large overlap between these two groups.

Again, though: Why all the hate and contempt?

maximus otter
I can only speak for myself but I have contempt for those who ignore the depth and interconnected complexity of scientific discovery in favour of believing what they want and seeking out those sources that confirm it, as much as that seems like the default nature of people. I'm not sure what you're interpreting as hate. I found flerfs amusing for a couple of years, but never hate-worthy. Perhaps the odd individual flerf deserves hate, but not flerfs in general.

Who hates the silly gits? I find them endlessly annoying, like the dips promoting other religions, but I don't hate them. I can't watch more than a couple of videos showing how dumb they are, in the same way a couple of videos about sovereign cidiots make me want to do something less irritating. I do enjoy watching the flerfs get owned, and the sovereign tools get thrown in jail for contempt of court. One hot fudge sundae is awesome. Two would be disgusting.

Because they have driving licences and the right to vote, yet are clearly as thick as pig shit.

There are a lot more people who acknowledge that the Earth is spherical, yet who are also thicker than Barry White’s shit on Boxing Day. lf despising people with weird opinions is one’s “thing”, then FTMB would seem to be an odd place to express it.

Not a dig, just a confused observation.

:dunno:

maximus otter

Last edited:
There are also plenty of very intelligent people who've got stuck in a cycle of motivated reasoning, confirmation bias and post hoc explanations to be convinced of things that can't be supported by seeing what probability emerges from examining all the mutually supporting evidence. I don't think it's about intelligence, or even about what people think, but about how people think.

Who hates the silly gits? I find them endlessly annoying, like the dips promoting other religions, but I don't hate them. I can't watch more than a couple of videos showing how dumb they are, in the same way a couple of videos about sovereign cidiots make me want to do something less irritating. I do enjoy watching the flerfs get owned, and the sovereign tools get thrown in jail for contempt of court. One hot fudge sundae is awesome. Two would be disgusting.
Meaning?

It's a belief and it's so ingrained in some that whatever evidence that you present they will just resort to their core belief, it's quite common place among conspiracy theorists of all shades (even a few on here) they don't believe scientists because some one of the internet gave a different opinion not realizing that often the person they learnt from is normally a rouge figure working for a vested interest

Meaning that beliefs like those of the flerfs resemble religious beliefs more than anything. I make no secret of my disdain of religion in general. I see things like flerf "reasoning" as being a substitute for religion, or gang membership, or whatever. A cult is a cult is a cult. As PeteByrdie so succinctly put it, it's about defective thinking. Cult members of all sorts these days like to claim their opinions are as valid as anyone's. They might hold the opinion that Earth is 3000 years old, or that pi=3, but they are wrong. Their precious opinions are demonstrably false.

I figured out about thirty years ago that Science and Religion are each right about the other. Both can be full of shit. Religion, however, has outlived its usefulness, to the point that any real spirituality is carefully cleansed from the dogma. Churches still fill a social need in many ways, for many people, but those needs can be met without the bullshit and without the oppression of others who don't believe the same things.

Last edited:
Back