Talismans For The Modern Age

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I've noticed in Hong Kong a lot of kids wear these little shield badges that supposedly protect against infectious diseases - a big worry in a territory where SARS and bird flu have killed so many. I'm dubious that they have any efficacy.

In another case, a workmate of mine (one quite disposed to 'woo', IMO), wears a black crystal around his neck which is supposed to protect him against 5G radiation.

Does anyone else have any examples of 'magical' talismans tailored to modern problems?

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
a territory where SARS and bird flu
I postulate that intriguingly, you might almost (subconciously?) be using that acronym at least twice (talismanically?)
  • Special Administrative Region(s) notably Hong Kong, versus:
  • Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome
Please would you post a link to an image of one of these badges @James_H

@escargot - curiously, I looked at your wink icon, and was immediately struck by the fact that I have absolutely no idea the last time I saw someone wearing a St Christopher token, for supernatural insurance purposes when travelling (or indeed just as a decorative doodah). Wow....did these all vanish into heaven via some kind of a gold-plated rapture in about 1995?

Maybe I'm entirely wrong, and my parochial orbit just isn't a representative sample, but I've a feeling they've not made it into the 21st century.

In fact (well, just within my experience...as we all must earnestly aver) I cannot remember the last time I saw a crucifix/ankh/star of david &c swinging around the neck of any adherent 'pon a filigree 'fread

Am I in a bubble of isolated untypicallity?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
We sell a lot of jewelry from cheap sterling silver earrings at $20 a pair right through to $1000 pieces.
The most popular design... the Tree of Life.
Whether it be earrings, rings or necklaces, it out sells all other designs and has done so for some time.
Whether the purchasers are aware of its talismanic properties or not, I can't say. But it's an observation noted over the past couple of years.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... @escargot - curiously, I looked at your wink icon, and was immediately struck by the fact that I have absolutely no idea the last time I saw someone wearing a St Christopher token, for supernatural insurance purposes when travelling (or indeed just as a decorative doodah). Wow....did these all vanish into heaven via some kind of a gold-plated rapture in about 1995? ...
One of my best pals - a devout Catholic - passed away 4 years ago. He consistently wore a St. Christopher in everyday life, and he was wearing it in his final location (hospital bed).

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
It is not impossible that someone very close to me may have bought me a qlink pendant. Further, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that, as a result, I wear it. Although I can't claim to notice any big difference between the days when I do - most of them - and the occasional day when I forget to put it back on after showering or swimming.

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Found this interesting website while researching the qlink pendant

https://www.badscience.net/2007/05/the-amazing-qlink-science-pedant/

When I'm at the till at work (cash register for our N. American readers) I notice a lot of Tree of Lifes, also various crystals, insects (particularly bees) and, like Ermintruder, after thinking I hadn't seen a St Christopher for ages, I'm now seeing them quite frequently.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
It is not impossible that someone very close to me may have bought me a qlink pendant. Further, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that, as a result, I wear it. Although I can't claim to notice any big difference between the days when I do - most of them - and the occasional day when I forget to put it back on after showering or swimming.
:rollingw:

:jtease:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Please would you post a link to an image of one of these badges @James_H
It's this thing:
https://www.hktvmall.com/hktv/en/main/In-Smart/s/H0661003/Personal-Care-&-Health/Personal-Care-&-Health/Medicine/Surgical-Masks/EA-Mask-AntiBacteria-Virus-Badge-Clip-ES020/p/H0661003_S_EK-020BU

E.A Mask can produce 0.017 ppm chlorine dioxide to protect a person wearing it from virus, bacteria and fungi attack within 1 meter circle from the product. It is suitable for all ages including new born babies and pregnant women. It can effectively prevent virus and bacteria from spreading in public transport, school and hospital if everyone is wearing it and prevent a person who wears it from bringing virus, bacteria and fungi back home via clothes.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Found this interesting website while researching the qlink pendant

https://www.badscience.net/2007/05/the-amazing-qlink-science-pedant/

When I'm at the till at work (cash register for our N. American readers) I notice a lot of Tree of Lifes, also various crystals, insects (particularly bees) and, like Ermintruder, after thinking I hadn't seen a St Christopher for ages, I'm now seeing them quite frequently.
Thank you for helping me learn a new word - quackyslapping. :rollingw: