• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mr. Banooka

Abominable Snowman
This is a proper odd one. A telephone box in Werneth Low near Hyde near Stockport has the letters TEJRJWNE instead of TELEPHONE on one side of the box.

Nobody, including BT, seems to know why or what it means. It doesn’t translate to any known languages, and the only thing on the internet about it are questions about what it means,

This is a proper odd one. A telephone box in Werneth Low near Hyde near Stockport has the letters TEJRJWNE instead of TELEPHONE on one side of the box.

Nobody, including BT, seems to know why or what it means. It doesn’t translate to any known languages, and the only thing on the internet about it are questions about what it means,

Considering there are no missing windows, no used condoms, dirty needles, beer cans or an over powering stench of piss, i think hes a bit harsh calling the phone box grotty :p

I'm amazed there is an old style one still in use. Mostly they are garden ornaments these days.

I'm amazed there is an old style one still in use. Mostly they are garden ornaments these days.
I saw one mysteriously placed in a rubbish Russian Avengers knock-off just yesterday on Amazon Prime.

I'm suspicious that TEjRjWNE is a near-anagram of WERNETH (Low Road) where it's located--and that the 'j's look almost lowercase.

I suspect that the two semi-lowercase 'j's have been cut from an Upper-Case 'H' and the original (for reasons unknown) read WERNETH instead of the usual TELEPHONE.

Haven't watched the video yet though.

I'm suspicious that TEjRjWNE is a near-anagram of WERNETH (Low Road) where it's located--and that the 'j's look almost lowercase.

I suspect that the two semi-lowercase 'j's have been cut from an Upper-Case 'H' and the original (for reasons unknown) read WERNETH instead of the usual TELEPHONE.

Haven't watched the video yet though.
Good catch, I don’t think anyone has mentioned that yet.

Good catch, I don’t think anyone has mentioned that yet.

I've looked online for a full font-set for these telephone boxes, but there doesn't seem to be one.

That said, the interpretative extensions from the word TELEPHONE that cover the whole alphabet have the capital J as looking much like the ones here, BUT with 'descenders'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descender

One example is in the thumbnail image for this very video in which both 'J's 'come down' beneath the imaginary line.

Let's replace the J with I. Does that help with anagrams?

I‘m going to go up and see it for myself sometime in the next 2 weeks when I get a chance. It’s only about a 45 minute drive if the M56 is quiet, so I’ll work it around that.

Back